Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm torn between despising ashley/llambias and not wanting our name dragged through the mud in public further. 

My suspicion is most people cheering Joey on in this figure the club can't get any lower so why not slag off the owners in public.  I'm of the opinion that we still command the slightest shred of dignity and respect in the game and would rather Joey should shut his dumb cunt mouth. 

Agreed. Unfortunately the owners have given the Barton fanboys all the ammunition they need and there's not much anyone can do except take it on the chin. It was the failure to bring in a striker which has hamstrung our season not letting that twerp Barton go.

Didnt Pardew himself say that if we dont get a striker AND a left back we'll be worse off than last season?

Not that he needs to say that...its obvious really.

I thought he said 'we'd be no better off'.

Why are you believing what he said this time though? He's proven to be a liar, can't believe anything he says etc etc

Why are you trying so hard to make this window seem as some big success ? :lol:

Because it was?

Shearmagic you are clearly either delusional or a WUM

If it's the former wake up my friend, we are all being taken for a massive ride

How was it not a success? We didn't bring a striker in, arguably our only failure. We've improved the midfield and the defence is playing the best it has in a long, long time. Teams with the quality in midfield that we have don't come close to getting relegated, mission successful.

Not every team fulfils their goals in the transfer window, there's plenty of other  teams that didn't fill positions that they wanted/needed to.

We also didn't bring in a centre back so if we lose taylor to injury (usually happens) we have no recognised replacement to slot in there.

That was actually a bigger fault than failing to bring in a striker.

So how can it been seen as a success ? These aren't new developments these are problems we've known for a while but they did noting about. But it's fine they made a profit, get in, we're great. Fuck it, it's all a load of bollocks and those two twats at the top are the key to all our failures.

Didnt Pardew himself say that if we dont get a striker AND a left back we'll be worse off than last season?

Why are you believing what he said this time though? He's proven to be a liar, can't believe anything he says etc etc

Because it was?

How was it not a success? We didn't bring a striker in, arguably our only failure. We've improved the midfield and the defence is playing the best it has in a long, long time. Teams with the quality in midfield that we have don't come close to getting relegated, mission successful.

Not every team fulfils their goals in the transfer window, there's plenty of other  teams that didn't fill positions that they wanted/needed to.

We also didn't bring in a centre back so if we lose taylor to injury (usually happens) we have no recognised replacement to slot in there.

So how can it been seen as a success ? These aren't new developments these are problems we've known for a while but they did noting about. But it's fine they made a profit, get in, we're great. Fuck it, it's all a load of bollocks and those two twats at the top are the key to all our failures.

It's been more of a success than a failure.

I'm glad we have 7 points already, because the way people are going on we're not going to win another game this season.

I'm afraid one of my final memories of Joey will be of him turning his back on the ball when in a good position to launch a counter attack, grappling with an opponent and then pretending to be hurt in order to get the opponent sent off.

Yet again, he seems far more able to see faults in others than to put his own house in order.

Guest Gemmill

The club's name is in the shit cos of the owner.  All Barton is doing is pointing out just how covered in shite it is. There are no Barton fanboys, only Newcastle fans who see what's going on.

Worrying about the club's name at this stage is a nonsense.

Because it was?

Not every team fulfils their goals in the transfer window, there's plenty of other  teams that didn't fill positions that they wanted/needed to.

Defensively, we aren't stronger through personnel, we're stronger through coaching. As a squad we could have been stronger by purchasing said CB, cover at LB and possibly a better RB keeping Simpson for cover (without getting rid of José).

In midfield it is yet to be proven that we are stronger, I would like to think we are, but we have simply replaced the players we had. It's probably the one area we have sufficient personnel to cover each position adequately. Nolan and Barton weren't irreplaceable, but they had a lot of qualities and gave us a lot as a squad that goes ignored at the moment. Cabaye has shown his quality so far, but I'm yet to be convinced by Obertan, Abeid and Marveaux.

Up front - well from needing one striker when we had Carroll, we went to needing two. Ba is brought in; 2-1=1. We needed a striker and didn't get it. Best is holding up at the moment and good on the lad, but to think a striker wasn't important isn't right.

Ultimately, we could have been a far stronger squad than we are, and we could have been in a far stronger position to mount a real challenge for European football. We can all be as optimistic as we like, and believe me I'm usually as optimistic as they come, but at the moment, the reality is that we don't know if our signings will be as good as they are made out to be for us, and they need to prove themselves.

A few injuries and we could be well and truly fingered.

I'm not saying you're actively making excuses here, but at the end of the day - what does it take for some fans to finally just say that the FCB is wrong. There's always a small minority who defend him and his actions...why? He is clearly a t***, who's hell bent on doing whatever it takes to get his money back, plus more, and pissing on everyone else on the way for his own personal satisfaction.

Joey Barton simply couldn't resist having his little petty dig at the owners of the club, fair enough, the child got his point across, then he goes on to try and question our signing of Santon for some strange reason making himself just look like more of a cunt than he already is.

Fact still remains we are left lacking a cutting edge up front along with a lack of cover for our two CB's.

On a positive note...we have Ben Arfa to come back...remember him...like a new signing...again!

The club's name is in the shit cos of the owner.  All Barton is doing is pointing out just how covered in shite it is. There are no Barton fanboys, only Newcastle fans who see what's going on.

Exactly, I think barton is a scumbag, have for years but I agree with everything he has said and I hope he continues to speak the truth.

The club's name is in the s*** cos of the owner.  All Barton is doing is pointing out just how covered in s**** it is. There are no Barton fanboys, only Newcastle fans who see what's going on.

Exactly, I think barton is a scumbag, have for years but I agree with everything he has said and I hope he continues to speak the truth.

If I was Neil Warnock or a QPR fan I'd probably hope he'd just get on with doing what he's being paid (very handsomely) to do and stop trying to come across as some kind of superior phoney intellectual.

The idiots who run the club keep moving the goalposts, they have offered me to take a pay cut - I'm nobodies mug and the idiots who run the show haven't got a clue..If I don't get what I want I will still stop here and let my contract run down, love it here

"We had talks in January - Joey was prepared to take a drop in wages and we couldn't get anywhere,"

"Joey was disappointed. There was no way we were going to take a cut in his wages."

Joey Barton, telling it like it is since he didn't get offered the same wages for another 4 year.

I'm afraid one of my final memories of Joey will be of him turning his back on the ball when in a good position to launch a counter attack, grappling with an opponent and then pretending to be hurt in order to get the opponent sent off.

Yet again, he seems far more able to see faults in others than to put his own house in order.

Good post.

Joey played well for a small amount of time for us, he was a good player but he's not the people's champion or football philosopher that he likes to make out.

Flying the chequered flag

By Lee Ryder on Aug 27, 11 12:45 AM

The first time I ever met Joey Barton he gave the instant impression he wasn't like the average footballer.

He was down to earth.

Shortly after his comeback game from a broken foot at Kingston Park, Barton came out of the tunnel to do an interview and had managed to tread on a huge plaster which was stuck to his foot.

Barton said: "What is it, bloody hell."

Immediately, club officials prepared to get down on their knees to help remove the plaster but Barton wouldn't let them and said: "No I've got it myself."

Other footballers would have been happy to be pampered but it struck me right from the off he was just normal.

Barton's time on Tyneside has, like his football career, been chequered to say the least.

It would be easy to reel off all of the bad points about Barton (how predictable would another life and crimes of Joey Barton be?) and it would be easy to sit here and fall into the trap of buttering him up.

Ultimately what will live with me is this...

Much of Barton's banter is lost on your average journalist because some of them can't relate to the working class nature of it, for me I found it hard to keep a straight face while in the Scouser's company.

Unless you know the moment where you are about to be thrown out of class at school and can't contain your laughter any longer, you won't know what I am talking about!

If there were more like Barton in the game then football would be a more interesting place.

The football world is full of players who talk about "working hard", "the next three points are vital" and "We're doing this for the gaffer/the fans" and any other mundane cliched claptrap you care to mention and then fail to deliver on a Saturday before repeating the same patter.

Generally a lot of footballers (not all) flick a switch when they see a dictaphone or a pen and pad - which isn't a surprise given they are put through courses at the FA telling them to do so, something James Milner has off to a fine art.

Off the record, they will deliver some great chat but once that red button is lit on the tape recorder some change.

Barton does not.

He says it how it is, and one thing is certain, had he been as mundane as some players are he would still be a Newcastle United player now.

The world cries out for different characters but the moment an outspoken person says something they don't like people take the moral highground and condemn it.

In the Twitter age, people want their cake and they want to eat it.

They want to hurl abuse at players like Barton on Twitter then complain if they get a reply they don't like!

For being too honest Barton is now wearing a hooped blue and white shirt and playing at Loftus Road.

His exit from Newcastle should not be a surprise, he was always sailing close to the wind in Toonland.

And his characteristics always meant that one day there would be a straw that would break the camel's back.

For Barton it was an ill-fated day at Elland Road.

Ironically, he'd survived worse scenarios.

The day he was sent off at Liverpool and handed a three match ban being one of them back in 2009.

You could say had Barton not been sent off and banned, Newcastle wouldn't have been relegated.

Out of the three games he missed, Newcastle needed just one more point, one more goal - his influence in matches shows he could have been the man to find that little spark that was sadly lacking.

Yet those are merely bygones now.

He stayed and helped Newcastle get promoted by playing a small part, at Plymouth when he was held aloft by Toon fans he told them to put him down because he didn't deserve it - another honest gesture.

His one full season in the Premier League resulted in him being player of the year but sadly that's as good as it got for Newcastle fans.

That says it all about his ability - but a footballer ultimately lives his life by football logic.

And his exit at Newcastle boils down to the fact that at this moment in time business logic within the four walls of St James' Park is seeded higher than football logic.

When Andy Carroll was flogged, was the beginning of the end for Barton because it was the moment that triggered off the negativity that has drove others out of the revolving door at SJP.

Why should this be a surprise?

It started with James Milner, then Shay Given and Charlie Zog, then Seb Bassong, Habib Beye, Oba Martins and Damien Duff plus others.

Is it all down to just money?

Perhaps to an extent yes, but Barton is a character who wants to win football matches - when he sees injustice he does not act, he reacts.

Hence his grapple with Gervinho, hence his clash with Pedersen, hence all of the other clashes in his life which have landed him in trouble, quite simply, Barton reacts to negative situations.

Such annoyances go unexpressed in the world of Joey.

Meaning he could never survive at St James' Park while budgets are tightened and Newcastle try to convert to a club that is no longer hamstrung by huge wages and financial stress caused by huge transfer fees - that's how it is.

And all of that goes against football logic - which is the logic of Joey Barton.

Football is about winning and basically boils down to goals.

To get goals you need a striker, you need to pay him the going rate to find the net and if he's really good at it, other teams will want to buy him - just like Carroll.

I agree with the latter, buy players, be adventurous and speculate to accumulate - it's the only way.

But whether we like it or not that isn't happening at NUFC at the moment.

It is about recruiting young and unearthing talent and siezing bargains such as Dan Gosling and Haris Vuckic.

That's the system and the plan that Alan Pardew seems to be working off.

Fans say journalist aren't asking the right questions but if I had a pound for every time I've heard "Where's the money gone Alan?" this summer I would be able to afford a striker myself.

The problem isn't the questions, the problem is that people don't like the answers.

Geordie punters want to see exciting players through the door with proven, tried and tested career histories.

They want to be entertained but under the current transfer strategy that is going to be difficult.

Recruiting players from France is an economic strategy, not because Graham Carr likes French cusine.

Barton's rants this summer on Twitter are simply a bi-product of how NUFC is today.

But life will go on for the black and whites, Barton will soon, sadly in some ways, be just another ex-Toon player and he knows that better than anybody.

You could read it all over his face when he posed as QPR's next big signing.

I started the blog with the first time that I met Joey Barton and I will end it with the last time I spoke with him.

That moment goes back before Leeds and after pulling into the training ground in Mazda with dented door, Barton was walking off the training field.

After clocking me he shouted (while throwing his arms around as if appealing for penalty): "Hey Lee, where's my trophy for Chronicle player of the season man! It's the only thing I've ever won."

If I'd have known it was the last time I'd speak to him in black and white, I'd have thought of something better to say.

As it stands, the trophy will be on its way to Barton soon.

It's certainly been one crazy emotional rollercoaster Joey lad.

And the place will be a duller one without him.

He will be gone but not forgotten.

Source

Not surprised that people like Lee Ryder, who are used to dealing with the average footballer, like Joey Barton. I would probably like him as well if I knew him personally, and he is more down to earth than the average player.

But that doesn't mask his obvious character flaws or mean it is right for him to be talking shit about NUFC in public.

Not surprised that people like Lee Ryder, who are used to dealing with the average footballer, like Joey Barton. I would probably like him as well if I knew him personally, and he is more down to earth than the average player.

But that doesn't mask his obvious character flaws or mean it is right for him to be talking shit about NUFC in public.

His opinion is a valid one.

You may not like what he has to say but he's been closer to the regime than anyone on this board which gives his views some gravitas.

Guest Roger Kint

What a tosser Ryder is:

Fans say journalist aren't asking the right questions but if I had a pound for every time I've heard "Where's the money gone Alan?" this summer I would be able to afford a striker myself.

The problem isn't the questions, the problem is that people don't like the answers.

Geordie punters want to see exciting players through the door with proven, tried and tested career histories.

Aye Lee its all our fault for wanting the fucking striker the collection of wankers promised us you utter ringpiece.  :kinnear:

What a tosser Ryder is:

Aye Lee its all our fault for wanting the f***ing striker the collection of wankers promised us you utter ringpiece.  :kinnear:

That's er not what he's saying at all :lol:

Guest johnson293

What a tosser Ryder is:

Aye Lee its all our fault for wanting the f***ing striker the collection of wankers promised us you utter ringpiece.  :kinnear:

That's er not what he's saying at all :lol:

Aye, I assumed he (Ryder) meant the answers the club have given (money has gone towards/on wages, contracts, etc) aren't what fans want to hear.

I'll gladly call myself a Barton fanboy, in that he was really good last year, one of our best 5 (I say him, Carroll, Nolan, Enrique and Coloccini), and we didn't even NEED to sell him. I'm even trying to be understanding - Carroll I understand, the money was ludicrous (BUT let's not get started on how that £35m won't score us the goals to kick on), Nolan being replaced by Cabaye whilst saving money is great business, Enrique wanted out and we couldn't pay him what a guy of his talent required so Santon SHOULD be an adequate replacement IF he plays to his potential. So I would give us 1.5/2 out of 3 for those 3 moves. But there was no need to sell Barton, Ashley did it because he didn't like being criticised and having the lies, hypocrisy, corruption and his generally appalling nature highlighted in public, as well as wanting his wages off the book (which were, to be fair, probably bloated). That's the point from me - if you want to sell these people to get wages off the books, or because they demand contracts that don't fit in with our financial planning, or because you get ludicrous offers for them (all valid reasons in modern football), at the very least replace them with somebody on lower wages, with some portion of what you get for them/other players you've sold, and make a point. If Ashley buys us a talented RW, on less money than Barton, less prone to media embarrassment than Barton, then job done. But instead we have Gabriel fucking Obertan, Ryan Taylor or possibly the mystery man Marveaux instead. That's just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Furthermore, I find it refreshing that one person actually speaks up against those club-ruining parasites with words, as opposed to just walking out. If I were in his position I'd so the same. When someone is treated something you care about badly (he clearly cared about Newcastle United), say something and try and bring it to the attention of others. Long may Joey's criticism of the pair continue, because they're shits.

His opinion is a valid one.

You may not like what he has to say but he's been closer to the regime than anyone on this board which gives his views some gravitas.

I know his opinion is a valid one, I just don't agree with it.

And whether he's close to the regime or not is irrelevant to my criticism, Barton should keep his mouth shut whether he's right or wrong.

And furthermore if any of you can honestly say you'd take Obertan/R. Taylor/Marveaux on right wing without the media circus or Barton on the right wing with the media circus, then in my opinion you don't have the club's best interests at heart, because winning games is ultimately more in the club's best interests than having our shambolic ownership situation challenged in the public eye. Gabriel fucking Obertan.

Can't believe people still fall for Barton's shit. He himself doesn't know what he wants, actually that's not completely true. He wanted him and his little gang to get the contracts they wanted and to stay here for life. He complains about a lack of ambition but doesn't seem to understand ambition any more than the tossers who run the club. He was moaning about Cabaye (bad signing anyone?) and now we have signed a very promising full back to replace the one who inevitably left he is moaning about him.

He is a bullshit merchant on par with the owners, if we didn't sell anyone but didn't buy anyone he would have been perfectly happy to stay here the rest of his career.

As said before, he just needs to concentrate and show a little bit of respect for his current club. They will need him putting in all his effort to keep them up, while we with our shit, unproven signings can concentrate on trying to achieve a top half finish.