Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Barton will be a good player for at least the next three years imo. Give him a three year deal with a 4th year option.

I think he will be a good player for 4 years, if not more. The fact that he has quit drinking alcohol can prolong his career quite significantly. If he eats healthy as well, he will probably be at the same level at 33 even.

It's a shame Barton doesn't share your optimism about his future ability as if he did you would have thought he would have been happy to sign a 2 year deal knowing that we would have wanted to extent it further in 2 years time, like Man Utd have done with Scholes and Giggs.

When Giggs was Barton's age he had 4 years left on his contract. when scholes was 2 years older than Barton is now, he signed a 4 year contract. a couple of months ago Evra, a year older than Barton is now, signed a 3 and a half year contract. so really that point doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

can't blame Barton for wanting the security of a longer contract. similarly, i can see why the club would be hesitant to give him a new deal based on how 75% of his newcastle career has been - shit.

still, judging from McKay's comments, i expect he's instructed Barton to be conciliatory in his interview tonight, sensing that there's still a comprimise to be had somewhere down the line. whether Barton keeps his cool is another matter, mind...

Guest icemanblue

What 'sort of wage'?

Well, his wage, but at age 33.

He's offered to take a reduction in wages.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

What 'sort of wage'?

Well, his wage, but at age 33.

He's offered to take a reduction in wages.

Point taken. Still, it's a long commitment at a not insignificant price.

In fact, both sides are not optimistic about Barton's ability at 32 years old, including Barton himself  If he is able to perform that well at that time, he would have no problem to get another extension with similar wages right?

Anyway, I hope he can agree with a 3 years contract...that will be the best for all parties.

Barton will be a good player for at least the next three years imo. Give him a three year deal with a 4th year option.

I think he will be a good player for 4 years, if not more. The fact that he has quit drinking alcohol can prolong his career quite significantly. If he eats healthy as well, he will probably be at the same level at 33 even.

It's a shame Barton doesn't share your optimism about his future ability as if he did you would have thought he would have been happy to sign a 2 year deal knowing that we would have wanted to extent it further in 2 years time, like Man Utd have done with Scholes and Giggs.

When Giggs was Barton's age he had 4 years left on his contract. when scholes was 2 years older than Barton is now, he signed a 4 year contract. a couple of months ago Evra, a year older than Barton is now, signed a 3 and a half year contract. so really that point doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

can't blame Barton for wanting the security of a longer contract. similarly, i can see why the club would be hesitant to give him a new deal based on how 75% of his newcastle career has been - s***.

still, judging from McKay's comments, i expect he's instructed Barton to be conciliatory in his interview tonight, sensing that there's still a comprimise to be had somewhere down the line. whether Barton keeps his cool is another matter, mind...

Can you not see the difference between offering Joey Barton a long contract and offering one to Giggs, Evra and Scholes???

Barton could be a good player for 3 or 4 years and he deserves a role as the club moves forward. But DairylandMag and I have been talking about it, and we just think to give him that sort of wage for that sort of time says he's going to be a major cog if not the centerpiece of the club.While Pardew is trying to remake the club into something bigger and better than one that has Joey Barton as a centerpiece. Posted on it this morning. http://bit.ly/kngXoy

That's the crux of the argument for me. Personally I believe we can do better than Barton a year down the line so why give him or Nolan longer deals? This only applies if the club have that same vision and aren't going to replace him with someone cheaper but inferior.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

In fact, both sides are not optimistic about Barton's ability at 32 years old, including Barton himself  If he is able to perform that well at that time, he would have no problem to get another extension with similar wages right?

Players think that way. Agents don't. That's the problem.

Guest johnson293

George Caulkin's tweets mention 'furious rows behind the scenes' involving Barton (though no context/time mentioned), and that the club feel he's 'difficult to handle/manage'.

Interesting to find out what he's going to say, hopefully it won't make things worse!

Although saying that, it's a perfect time to do one of these interviews, the seasons over and there is a whole transfer window still to come

Interesting to find out what he's going to say, hopefully it won't make things worse!

Although saying that, it's a perfect time to do one of these interviews, the seasons over and there is a whole transfer window still to come

I guess we will be able to make our minds up after we hear what Barton has to say.

George Caulkin's tweets mention 'furious rows behind the scenes' involving Barton (though no context/time mentioned), and that the club feel he's 'difficult to handle/manage'.

No doubt he'll 'forget' to mention that in his message tonight :lol:

NUFCToonTalk Toon Talk

JOEY BARTON EXCLUSIVE MESSAGE TO THE FANS TONIGHT 6pm ONLY ON TOON TALK RADIO to tune in www.fansonline.net/newcastleunited RETWEET

From twitter

Alreet Lads hows she ganning

May be a Giggs moment, but it's not an interview with Joey...

NUFCToonTalk Toon Talk

Just to clarify Steve Wraith has been in touch with Joey Barton and has been given permission by him to give message to fans.6pm tonight.

1 hour ago

Steve Wraith :lol:

Mckay was one of the suspects questioned in the quest investigation(that didn't really accomplish anything) and has had a history of screwing us royally.

He brokered the move of Jean Alain-Boumsong from Rangers to Newcastle(which is why he was investigated by quest) He was also apparently arrested along with a few others including Harry Redknapp during the investigation over a deal for Amdy Faye

and he was given a suspended ban for handling a deal for Benjani moving from Auxere to Portsmouth and then to man city.

He is an absolute dodgy dirty dealer. And we would do well to not have anything to do with him or anybody thats represented by him because it always ends badly for us

Mckay was one of the suspects questioned in the quest investigation(that didn't really accomplish anything) and has had a history of screwing us royally.

He brokered the move of Jean Alain-Boumsong from Rangers to Newcastle(which is why he was investigated by quest) He was also apparently arrested along with a few others including Harry Redknapp during the investigation over a deal for Amdy Faye

and he was given a suspended ban for handling a deal for Benjani moving from Auxere to Portsmouth and then to man city.

He is an absolute dodgy dirty dealer. And we would do well to not have anything to do with him or anybody thats represented by him because it always ends badly for us

Yeah. Let's buy non-league players as they probably 'manage' themselves and don't have any agents.  :thup:

Yeah. Let's buy non-league players as they probably 'manage' themselves and don't have any agents.  :thup:

Because Willie McKay manages everyone in the football league? :lol:

You can do better than that.

If he's going to be put up for sale I have no problem with that, as to me he's not a top player. What I don't want to see is him leaving at the last minute without a replacement being brought in. If it gets too close to deadline day then make him play the season out, same as how Wigan made Zog stay when we pitched in a last minute offer.

Now, that's just too plain sensible.  Take that "logic" and "reason" crap to the "Not Worthy of a Thread" thread, please.