Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Would love it to be true but sounds to me like a familiar NUFC tactic - trying to get the fans back onside by making it look like they are making conciliatory moves so that when Barton leaves, they can turn round and say that he was the one who wanted out after all because they had made the effort to keep him. 

:thup:

What I don't understand with this latest Barton story is that surely the journalists must realise they are being used by the club to get this information out there to dilute the fan's anger so why do they report it without question.  This happens so often with this club and they have become very good at it so why do the journalists continue to play along with it.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I don't think he is acting like that at all he is merely expressing his discontent at the ambitions of the board. He's happy to stay another year and leave on a free next year if the board don't offer him a new deal.

I honestly don't want Barton back at this point. Too much wahala. Too little production.

Hard to be productive when the season hasn't even started yet.

??? Clearly I am referring to his production and actions in the first four years he spent at this club. Your objection to my comment is quite stupid.

He was our best player last season

He provided us with literally nothing for three years while being paid an extremely high amount every single week. He should be ashamed to act like the club owes him anything.

Sounds more like you're just annoyed by his behaviour and using that to disregard his obvious use to us.

I honestly don't want Barton back at this point. Too much wahala. Too little production.

??? Clearly I am referring to his production and actions in the first four years he spent at this club. Your objection to my comment is quite stupid.

I'm not one to deny his worth just because he is now on a free transfer but saying that he was our best player last season is waaay stretching it. Tiote, Colo and even Nolan all played better.

I'm not one to deny his worth just because he is now on a free transfer but saying that he was our best player last season is waaay stretching it. Tiote, Colo and even Nolan all played better.

He was better than Nolan

Tiote and Colo were probably better than him BUT not a lot in it between them

What 'olive branch' are the press reading into Barton's tweet.

I read it as him stating that just because the club 'say' he can leave on a free doesn't mean he 'has' to go - he's still got a year left on a lucrative contract and other than being fined for tweets what could the club realistically do if he could if he digs his heels in - and I believe he is that type - that he'd think he's got one over them even if they put him on gardening leave or whatever.

If the owner/chairman were not such twats then i'd be a bit inclined to back them over Bartons recent behaviour, but since they are then I suppose they're getting all they deserve.

Disclaimer - unless there have been other tweets of real reconciliation or he and the club are actually talking together of course - then thats alright then.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I read it as him stating that just because the club 'say' he can leave on a free doesn't mean he 'has' to go - he's still got a year left on a lucrative contract and other than being fined for tweets what could the club realistically do if he could if he digs his heels in - and I believe he is that type - that he'd think he's got one over them even if they put him on gardening leave or whatever.

If the owner/chairman were not such twats then i'd be a bit inclined to back them over Bartons recent behaviour, but since they are then I suppose they're getting all they deserve.

Disclaimer - unless there have been other tweets of real reconciliation or he and the club are actually talking together of course - then thats alright then.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/262993/Newcastle-set-to-grab-Joey-Barton-olive-branch

Not his tweets but a club source

A senior club source said last night: “Joey’s attitude ahead of the Leeds friendly could have been much better and the club have been frustrated and bewildered by his use of Twitter to showcase his feelings.

“But what was said yesterday puts matters in a little different light and everyone knows what a fine player he can be. It may be in everyone’s best interest to find a way out of the corner that we’ve painted ourselves in.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/262993/Newcastle-set-to-grab-Joey-Barton-olive-branch

Not his tweets but a club source

A senior club source said last night: “Joey’s attitude ahead of the Leeds friendly could have been much better and the club have been frustrated and bewildered by his use of Twitter to showcase his feelings.

But what was said yesterday puts matters in a little different light and everyone knows what a fine player he can be. It may be in everyone’s best interest to find a way out of the corner that we’ve painted ourselves in.”

Its that bit that caught my eye, I can only presume they mean his tweet, although TBH nowt suprises me with this club now.

What I don't understand with this latest Barton story is that surely the journalists must realise they are being used by the club to get this information out there to dilute the fan's anger so why do they report it without question.  This happens so often with this club and they have become very good at it so why do the journalists continue to play along with it.

They're also being used by the Barton side to suggest top clubs are interested. So long as it gives them something to write, I bet they're happy with whatever is shoveled their way.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Maybe he travelled to London to see Ashley.

Maybe it's dekka making the decisions and Ashley didn't like this one

Just a thought ;)

At any other club, Barton would have been sacked (or whatever this is called in this situation) years ago with his prision spell and all that.

At any other club, after being told to leave on a free, Barton would have probably been away by now or at least in advanced contract talks with another club.

As this is Newcastle, it could be very much be the case that he'll be still here come the 1st September and playing his football.

Looks like the Barnetta deal is off then. Joey obviously realised his twat of an agent was talking shite about CL clubs being interested and has now climbed down. The club will probably take this as a golden opportunity to save £4m on signing Barnetta and paying both players wages if Barton refuses to fuck off. Personally I hope they sign Barnetta anyway and keep Joey well away from the team.

Guest Wally_McFool

Maybe he travelled to London to see Ashley.

Maybe it's dekka making the decisions and Ashley didn't like this one

Just a thought ;)

Thinking the same thing meself.  (wonder if Mike read that True Faith article about Dekka )

If Barton stays it's because they type of clubs who might have an interest in taking him will refuse to match his wages IMO. Everton and Stoke for example aren't going to pay 60k a week, this might have something to do with Barton's decision to stay put unless he gets a club who will match our wages. Hence his agents insane blabbering about top clubs being interested.

Guest Wally_McFool

Personally I hope they sign Barnetta anyway and keep Joey well away from the team.

Would prefer if Barnetta came, Barton stayed and everything turned out Hunky Dory!

Personally I hope they sign Barnetta anyway and keep Joey well away from the team.

Would prefer if Barnetta came, Barton stayed and everything turned out Hunky Dory!

Barton doesn't strike me as the type who would sit happily on the bench while Barnetta started in his place.

Is it possible that the reason he's (allegedly/apparently) now looking to stay is because every other possible team he'd think was "good enough" for him actually think he's a total liability and would have a detrimental impact on team morale?

Guest Roger Kint

So its ok to believe the press today then?  :undecided:

Senior Source from the Daily Express. aka Dekka.

Do you want me to quote Dave for you? Club has admitted to lying etc