Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Roger Kint

Is it possible that the reason he's (allegedly/apparently) now looking to stay is because every other possible team he'd think was "good enough" for him actually think he's a total liability and would have a detrimental impact on team morale?

Lucky us in that case. Am sure a season being disruptive here will work wonders......

Barton has never once said his intention is to leave anyway (apart from to a CL club) has he? From his POV he is well within his right to call the clubs bluff and stay.

I don't think they're bluffing, they just can't force him to leave because he's under contract.

Surprised Derek hasn't pulled his "force" player to sign a transfer request Jedi mind trick TBF. :iamatwat:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Barton has never once said his intention is to leave anyway (apart from to a CL club) has he? From his POV he is well within his right to call the clubs bluff and stay.

I don't think they're bluffing, they just can't force him to leave because he's under contract.

Surprised Derek hasn't pulled his "force" player to sign a transfer request Jedi mind trick TBF. :iamatwat:

Can't use the Jedi Mind Trick on the strong minded. Come on.  :no:

Guest Roger Kint

They can technically force him out by telling him he wont be selected in the squad list meaning Barton will sit doing nowt for a year, cant think how a season on his arse will help clubs want him in 12 months. Barton would then have the choice of career over petulence

They can technically force him out by telling him he wont be selected in the squad list meaning Barton will sit doing nowt for a year, cant think how a season on his arse will help clubs want him in 12 months. Barton would then have the choice of career over petulence

Ashley might be a penny pincher but I think he's quite capable of paying Barton while refusing to let him be part of the squad if he wants to be awkward.

Guest Roger Kint

Ashley might be a penny pincher but I think he's quite capable of paying Barton while refusing to let him be part of the squad if he wants to be awkward.

Exactly, he knows Barton has publically said(and no doubt privately to the club) that he wont go until his contract is up so he will be fully aware of the consequences of this. He will just use it as an excuse for lack of spending in other areas tbh

Guest Wally_McFool

Personally I hope they sign Barnetta anyway and keep Joey well away from the team.

Would prefer if Barnetta came, Barton stayed and everything turned out Hunky Dory!

Barton doesn't strike me as the type who would sit happily on the bench while Barnetta started in his place.

Would give Barnetta a season to "bed in" and get used to the English game whilst Joey runs down the last season of his conract.

Footballers, with the wages they are on, should keep their mouths shut no matter what goes on at boardroom level at their clubs. It's part of being professional role models. At the end of the day they are sportsmen, who are meant to serve a noble purpose. Spouting off at every opportunity shows they don't take their position seriously enough. Fantastic as Barton has been for us recently, he can now f*** off and will have no sympathy as far as I'm concerned.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Interesting, remarkable piece on Barton in the Express. We all know who their 'senior source' is. Could be another interesting 24 hours!

Looking forward to it.

It's available on line. Just says a senior source at the club thinks there's a possibility of peace breaking out and Barton playing out his contract.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Interesting, remarkable piece on Barton in the Express. We all know who their 'senior source' is. Could be another interesting 24 hours!

I must be thick.  Who's their senior source?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

My name is Joey Barton, and this is the longest 24 hours of my life...

Footballers, with the wages they are on, should keep their mouths shut no matter what goes on at boardroom level at their clubs. It's part of being professional role models. At the end of the day they are sportsmen, who are meant to serve a noble purpose. Spouting off at every opportunity shows they don't take their position seriously enough. Fantastic as Barton has been for us recently, he can now f*** off and will have no sympathy as far as I'm concerned.

i respectfully disagree. it's more than a little short sighted to believe that because someone's paid well they should keep their opinions to themselves, and that goes for anyone not just footballers. I'm not sure about you but if I wanted a footballer to be a 'role model' which i'm not sure about anyway! Then I'd certainly want my kids to look up to the sort of person who speaks out on what they perceive as injustices or wrong doing, not the sort of person who takes the money and shuts up, that's an appalling example for any kid.

Sportsmen? Noble purpose? What are you talking about? They're paid to play football, that's it.

he'l end up signing a new contract

Unreal if he did, a billion miles away last night but this morning? Who fuking knows.

I feel its an attempt by the club to win favour with the fans, to show they tried everything...either that or he's not getting the offers he was told e would get and the club have turned round and said sack your agent and we can settle this with a new contract.

Would be brilliant to see that cunt sacrificed in all this.

Think it's all straw clutching and he'll still leave though. Barnetta will do me as a replacement though.

Personally I hope they sign Barnetta anyway and keep Joey well away from the team.

Would prefer if Barnetta came, Barton stayed and everything turned out Hunky Dory!

Barton doesn't strike me as the type who would sit happily on the bench while Barnetta started in his place.

Would give Barnetta a season to "bed in" and get used to the English game whilst Joey runs down the last season of his conract.

That would only happen if the club feel they can now trust Barton again. Frankly after his shenanigans for the last six months I'd be surprised. The last thing we need is a bitter senior pro who resents being pushed out by the new signings.

i respectfully disagree. it's more than a little short sighted to believe that because someone's paid well they should keep their opinions to themselves, and that goes for anyone not just footballers. I'm not sure about you but if I wanted a footballer to be a 'role model' which i'm not sure about anyway! Then I'd certainly want my kids to look up to the sort of person who speaks out on what they perceive as injustices or wrong doing, not the sort of person who takes the money and shuts up, that's an appalling example for any kid.

Sportsmen? Noble purpose? What are you talking about? They're paid to play football, that's it.

I think there are channels where unhappy players can vent their anger, but it shouldn't be on twitter or in the press.  If you're unhappy, it should be discussed behind closed doors.

I think there are channels where unhappy players can vent their anger, but it shouldn't be on twitter or in the press.  If you're unhappy, it should be discussed behind closed doors.

absolutely. seems unlikely though doesnt it? the players will know as well as us it's pointless talking to pardew about it.

absolutely. seems unlikely though doesnt it? the players will know as well as us it's pointless talking to pardew about it.

So go above Pardew's head then.

If I'm unhappy with something and my boss doesn't do anything to rectify it, I speak to his boss.

If I'm unhappy with something and my boss doesn't do anything to rectify it, I speak to his boss.

yeah

yeah

So you really don't think this whole Barton thing has gone up to Pardew's boss?

This is what I meant by keeping schtum. A disgruntled footballer should speak to their manager/coaches/club directors/agents in private about their problems. Airing their grievances in public is counter-productive in this day and age.

Serving a noble purpose? Isn't this what sport is meant to be doing? A way of life that promotes health, equality, togetherness and sporting behaviour? The fact that football is now seen as "entertainment" on par with Hollywood films should never detract from the fact that it is meant to be a positive thing for society as a whole.