Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest bimpy474

Shame the Logan's Run policy doesn't apply to the board.

Hope the youngsters get this as its a great point, and Jenny Agutter's jubblies on show again :D

We really don't need to pidgeonhole every departing player in to being a hero or a villain.

As far as I'm concerned he's not ours anymore and I don't give a shit.

Nobody does that with every player.

But in case of Carroll (wasn't the case for me btw), Nolan or now Barton people have every right to do that.

Guest bimpy474

'I've had a number of phone calls, bits of interest and people making enquiries, "Would you go here? Would you do this? Would you do that?", because that's the nature of the game, that's the nature of the beast.

'I don't want to leave the football club. My family is settled in the area, I love living in Newcastle. I have got a great working relationship with everyone at the football club, and that's from playing staff to coaching staff to people who work in the training ground to catering staff, everyone.

'I love being at the club and I've got no ambition to leave.

'If someone came in, for instance, hypothetically and offered me Champion's League football, then whether I had signed a five, six, seven-year deal at Newcastle, I'd have to consider it.

'But that's not the case at the minute and as far as I'm concerned, unless someone comes in and can offer me the opportunity to play at the next level, which is obviously the Champions League, then for me it's a no-brainer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2004308/Joey-Barton-Id-leave-Newcastle-Champions-League-club.html#ixzz1W9Jw56SO

While i understand he didn't have much of a choice does this not make him a liar ?

This was from June. He probably didn't knew what his situation would be come end of August.

Timeline is irrelevent imo, he has left for a club he said he wouldn't leave for, not having a go mind, i dont blame him, just pointing out his hypocrisy.

Agree, he's not a villain or a hero (some of the stuff he's come out with has been cringe worthy but I don't blame him for trying to make himself look good).  I've actually got no problem with him partly because I'm just not that bothered.

Only one player that's left this summer has bothered me in the slightest and that's Enrique, because he's a top player and a player I'd love to have seen in the first team for the foreseeable future.  Both Nolan and Barton I'd see as no more than squad players (Nolan barely as that after this season).

Guest Roger Kint

Anybody who thinks he's an NUFC legend needs a slap.

To be fair only David28 has been on that embarrassing level

Never said he's a legend. Show me the post with the word "legend" and you'll be the winner.

Good luck to Joey (except against us, of course :D). Deserves a warm reception at SJP.

Conducted himself very well IMO.

?? how exactly has he conducted himself well? I presume you are joking?

Not even a little bit.

The timeline as I see it is this:

Okay, very rough start what with the prison sentence and all. After that, he applied himself on the pitch and was one of our top performers. Whether the performances made up for the rough start and outweighs it is opinion etc. I think probably just about comes up on the positive side in that respect.

He fought our tyrannical owners (that should be me being comedic, but it's not!) and questioned their policies. He communicated with fans, was honest about what was going on the club and didn't let it affect his performances. The team morale hasn't seem troubled by it either. Look at Arsenal. Look at Sunderland. He shows passion, he screams at players for shit passes, but that's part of football. It's good for football. He always ends up joking with people - even the opposition who stamp on him ffs! :lol:

His contract negotiations were an uphill struggle from the get go because of the owners. He is getting older, so obviously we shouldn't have offered him a 75k week contract for four years (or whatever it actually is), but if the owners weren't such complete antagonistic arseholes I'm sure we could have sweetened him for a 1 or 2 year deal at around £60k (probably even less, tbh).

You have top class older pros like Hangeland who could walk into most top table teams, but a relatively small club like Fulham can hold onto him because they're not run by mongs. Similarly, how many of Everton's top class older players are leaving, or desperate to find a way out of the club (a la Carroll, Nolan, Enrique, Barton)? None is the answer. And you know they of all people could get much better salaries elsewhere.

Barton, to his credit, fought to stay here - even when transfer listed, he dug his heels in and said he was proud to wear the colours. He also continued to put in important performances and helping us to four points already. Even though he was docked wages, trained alone and treated like crap in general. Then QPR come in and offer him a great deal, give him a future and show him some respect - what obligation does he have to Ashley to stay? None. He should do what's right for him, and he has. It's to his credit he didn't go sulk somewhere, not train, play (eg Modric, Maiga) during these troubled times.

Man, my chronology is really bad... but still, hopefully you see my perspective. Joey doesn't owe anyone anything, except himself. It was up to the club to make sure he felt he could get that at Newcastle.

They failed. Well, they would have failed if it was ever their intention to keep him at all - rather than their actual intention to just cut down the Administrative Expenses line on the end of year Financial Statements. Fuck the league table, right.

Guest Roger Kint

Never said he's a legend. Show me the post with the word "legend" and you'll be the winner.

Show me where i accused you of saying that word you mentalist? Were the tears clouding the words 'on that level'?

Don't blame Barton for leaving at all.

At his age, there is no choice between "four year deal" and "fuck all".

We've purposely weakened our side, there's no chance of replacing him (considering we need a LB, CF and CB) and we let him go for fucking nowt.

What a farce the whole saga has been.

Good luck to Joey (except against us, of course :D). Deserves a warm reception at SJP.

Conducted himself very well IMO.

?? how exactly has he conducted himself well? I presume you are joking?

Not even a little bit.

The timeline as I see it is this:

Okay, very rough start what with the prison sentence and all. After that, he applied himself on the pitch and was one of our top performers. Whether the performances made up for the rough start and outweighs it is opinion etc. I think probably just about comes up on the positive side in that respect.

He fought our tyrannical owners (that should be me being comedic, but it's not!) and questioned their policies. He communicated with fans, was honest about what was going on the club and didn't let it affect his performances. The team morale hasn't seem troubled by it either. Look at Arsenal. Look at Sunderland. He shows passion, he screams at players for shit passes, but that's part of football. It's good for football. He always ends up joking with people - even the opposition who stamp on him ffs! :lol:

His contract negotiations were an uphill struggle from the get go because of the owners. He is getting older, so obviously we shouldn't have offered him a 75k week contract for four years (or whatever it actually is), but if the owners weren't such complete antagonistic arseholes I'm sure we could have sweetened him for a 1 or 2 year deal at around £60k (probably even less, tbh).

You have top class older pros like Hangeland who could walk into most top table teams, but a relatively small club like Fulham can hold onto him because they're not run by mongs. Similarly, how many of Everton's top class older players are leaving, or desperate to find a way out of the club (a la Carroll, Nolan, Enrique, Barton)? None is the answer. And you know they of all people could get much better salaries elsewhere.

Barton, to his credit, fought to stay here - even when transfer listed, he dug his heels in and said he was proud to wear the colours. He also continued to put in important performances and helping us to four points already. Even though he was docked wages, trained alone and treated like crap in general. Then QPR come in and offer him a great deal, give him a future and show him some respect - what obligation does he have to Ashley to stay? None. He should do what's right for him, and he has. It's to his credit he didn't go sulk somewhere, not train, play (eg Modric, Maiga) during these troubled times.

Man, my chronology is really bad... but still, hopefully you see my perspective. Joey doesn't owe anyone anything, except himself. It was up to the club to make sure he felt he could get that at Newcastle.

:thup:

Don't blame Barton for leaving at all.

At his age, there is no choice between "four year deal" and "f*** all".

We've purposely weakened our side, there's no chance of replacing him (considering we need a LB, CF and CB) and we let him go for f***ing nowt.

What a farce the whole saga has been.

So you think we've done this on purpose? As in with the full intention of achieving worse results and a worse finish than last season?

I bet he rips into Ashley and Dezza now, he defo wont pull any punches...

Wonder what the chances are of him coming out and revealing he was dealt with pretty poorly.

But he wasn't... Quite the contrary considering all his antics in the 4years...

Show me where i accused you of saying that word you mentalist? Were the tears clouding the words 'on that level'?

Eh, mentalist? Sorry, don't get it.

Again, I've never said the word "legend" about Joey Barton and never would. He's been a great player and one of my personal (probably even all time) favourites. Not a legend. Just wanted to put that right.