Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

In some ways I'm glad that he's not our problem anymore but it drives me mad that we let him go for free. Could have extracted 2~3 mil out of some club easily.

I think we've spent all summer trying to extract a couple of million for him, unfortunately nobodies going to pay money for a player like Barton.

Did we? It wasn't that he was up for sale for the whole transfer window. The time he was placed on the transfer list he was always for free.

So much for him pledging to stay and see out this year of contract then :thup:

If was fairly obvious that he only said that because he wasn't getting any offers..

For whatever reason he said it, this was the test of how much of it he meant. The lack of assurances of a contract past next Summer were as true now as when he said it, so will be interesting to see if that's what he peddles.

You're the one that signed him for QPR.  :razz:

£75k a week for 4 years.  :undecided:

Imo he would have taken half of it here if he was offered it today.

Good one :lol:  You are joking yeah? ???

Not really, i might be naive but i think he was desperate to stay.

He was and we will probably never find out what really happend in January and why he didn't take that contract or if he was even offered one, to which conditions and so on.

The only time the truth came out of this club was after the KK situation - and we all know how the Ashley/Derek behaved in the KK situation.

I long for the day that we can compete with the might of West Ham and Queens Park Rangers on wages. Until then I guess we just have to accept that big clubs like that can poach our best players.

Good riddance on that money I say; I for one am glad that we haven't offered him a ridiculous 12m + contract at his age

I'm sure he'd have preferred to stay here then go to QPR like.  He'd probably have accepted £65k on the same length of contract, but no way on earth is the lad going to accept 40k or less here when there's someone willing to pay him £75k.  I know he's done his best to sound like the loveliest lad going that adores Newcastle United but that's just never going to happen.

I'm sure he'd have preferred to stay here then go to QPR like.  He'd probably have accepted £65k on the same length of contract, but no way on earth is the lad going to accept 40k or less here when there's someone willing to pay him £75k.  I know he's done his best to sound like the loveliest lad going that adores Newcastle United but that's just never going to happen.

As I've said, we'll never find out. That's your opinion. Mine is obviosly difference until the truth will come out.

I long for the day that we can compete with the might of West Ham and Queens Park Rangers on wages. Until then I guess we just have to accept that big clubs like that can poach our best players.

Good riddance on that money I say; I for one am glad that we haven't offered him a ridiculous 12m + contract at his age

Exactly. We clearly can compete. Marveaux and Cabaye will hardly be on a pittance. How can people seriously want us to give 4 year deals on huge wages to players who will likely be not good enough in a years time. Didn't we learn with Geremi, Smith, Duff, Butt and Viduka?

BBC Newcastle Total Sport

Joey Barton has signed what's understood to be a 4 year, £75 000 per week contract at QPR, leaving Newcastle United on a free transfer. More on Total Sport with Matthew Raisbeck at 1730 UK

Exactly. We clearly can compete. Marveaux and Cabaye will hardly be on a pittance. How can people seriously want us to give 4 year deals on huge wages to players who will likely be not good enough in a years time. Didn't we learn with Geremi, Smith, Duff, Butt and Viduka?

Yeah.

Every club should get rid of players approaching the 30 years of age.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I do think Barton could have played for a good 4 years with us but 75k is not at all reflective of his ability.

In some ways I'm glad that he's not our problem anymore but it drives me mad that we let him go for free. Could have extracted 2~3 mil out of some club easily.

I think we've spent all summer trying to extract a couple of million for him, unfortunately nobodies going to pay money for a player like Barton.

Did we? It wasn't that he was up for sale for the whole transfer window. The time he was placed on the transfer list he was always for free.

We haven't offered him a new contract since January.  I really doubt that we wanted him to stay right up until the point we placed him on the transfer list and just decided it would be for free.  It was probably made known unofficially for a while that he was available, and was made clear to us that nobody would pay a fee for a player like him especially when he'd be asking for a monster wage.

Guest bimpy474

'I've had a number of phone calls, bits of interest and people making enquiries, "Would you go here? Would you do this? Would you do that?", because that's the nature of the game, that's the nature of the beast.

'I don't want to leave the football club. My family is settled in the area, I love living in Newcastle. I have got a great working relationship with everyone at the football club, and that's from playing staff to coaching staff to people who work in the training ground to catering staff, everyone.

'I love being at the club and I've got no ambition to leave.

'If someone came in, for instance, hypothetically and offered me Champion's League football, then whether I had signed a five, six, seven-year deal at Newcastle, I'd have to consider it.

'But that's not the case at the minute and as far as I'm concerned, unless someone comes in and can offer me the opportunity to play at the next level, which is obviously the Champions League, then for me it's a no-brainer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2004308/Joey-Barton-Id-leave-Newcastle-Champions-League-club.html#ixzz1W9Jw56SO

While i understand he didn't have much of a choice does this not make him a liar ?

I do think Barton could have played for a good 4 years with us but 75k is not at all reflective of his ability.

Yep Barton could have been a good squad player for the next 4 years, I'd have liked him to stay as cover if things could have been resolved (but not even at £55k never mind £75k).

'I've had a number of phone calls, bits of interest and people making enquiries, "Would you go here? Would you do this? Would you do that?", because that's the nature of the game, that's the nature of the beast.

'I don't want to leave the football club. My family is settled in the area, I love living in Newcastle. I have got a great working relationship with everyone at the football club, and that's from playing staff to coaching staff to people who work in the training ground to catering staff, everyone.

'I love being at the club and I've got no ambition to leave.

'If someone came in, for instance, hypothetically and offered me Champion's League football, then whether I had signed a five, six, seven-year deal at Newcastle, I'd have to consider it.

'But that's not the case at the minute and as far as I'm concerned, unless someone comes in and can offer me the opportunity to play at the next level, which is obviously the Champions League, then for me it's a no-brainer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2004308/Joey-Barton-Id-leave-Newcastle-Champions-League-club.html#ixzz1W9Jw56SO

While i understand he didn't have much of a choice does this not make him a liar ?

This was from June. He probably didn't knew what his situation would be come end of August.