Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

£75k a week for 4 years.  :undecided:

And therein lies the main reason he left  O0

As much as Ashley is to blame in all of this (and he is, don't get me wrong), I really didn't understand why he had to leave now and to QPR. He could quite easily have stayed a year, put in a good shift, possibly earned a contract here, or if not been picked up at the end of the season.

But then you read 75K a week, and it makes sense.

Is the fucking truth right there!

Hope it works out for him.

Think there must be some sadness there on his part - he won't ever have a bigger stage.

Wouldn't be surprised if eventually he looked back on last season as the most enjoyable of his career.

Whatever else, he always gave his all on the pitch.

And he undoubtedly helped to galvernize the club during the championship season.

Think I'll always be grateful to him for that.

I *really* want him to speak out about the s**** going on at NUFC

Why? All the same people will just brush it off, like they did with Keegan, Shearer, Nolan, Carroll, Enrique and Barton himself.

Barton hasn't revealed anything has he?  All he moaned about was that he wished everyone knew what really went on.  He didn't tell us anything we didn't know, we know the owners are dodgy Joey ffs.  He pissed off the board with cryptic messages, why couldn't he just come out as say it as it is?  Would have the same outcome - i.e. forced out of the club.

---

As for Barton's contract offer, wasn't it said that he agreed in principle, then backed out, then the club refused to offer another one.  Isn't that pretty similar to what happened to Nolan but the other way around?

Good luck to him, I guess. Can't really blame him for leaving, with the owner and MD we have. If he's getting a big fat pay day, then I don't think any of us would do differently if we were in his situation. At least he left on a high, last game the derby win at the mackems.

You could say that he only really had one good season for us and personally I'm not convinced this move will be a huge success for him professionally, we'll miss him for sure, we'll not replace him, Obertan was the replacement (not as common sense would suggest the replacement for Rout).  If this gives Sammy and Haris more opportunities then it could in the long run be a good move for us, but if the like of Lovenkrands, Raylor (despite his recent free kick goal fest) and smith are drafted in to replace him then we've taken a big step backwards.

Guest Heneage

I long for the day that we can compete with the might of West Ham and Queens Park Rangers on wages. Until then I guess we just have to accept that bigger clubs like that can poach our best players.

Stop it, you're becoming embarrassing.

Saddened by this, and I personally think we'll miss him a lot more than some believe. No point dwelling, have to move on now...no more outgoings please, the squad is beginning to look emaciated. Absolutely no excuses now from a financial perspective (not that there ever should have been) for not getting in the 3 or 4 we desperately need.

I long for the day that we can compete with the might of West Ham and Queens Park Rangers on wages. Until then I guess we just have to accept that big clubs like that can poach our best players.

I'd like to see either offer a contract to tempt Tiote.

Meh. I genuinely think this is best for all parties. I appreciate Joey has grown on alot of our fans, and imo he is a good player when on form, but I think it's perfectly acceptable for us to move him on for footballing reasons alone. Those reasons being:

1) Cabaye looks to have similar ability to Barton in terms of spreading the play, but looks infinitely more consistent.

2) Barton on the wing doens't really work without Carroll to aim for.

3) Nolan being moved on means that Barton tucking in from the wing isn't really necessary any more as Cabaye is already there to do the same job.

4) Barton isn't a natural winger, and so can't dribble with the ball. As a result he spends much of the time bringing Danny Simpson into the game. Which as we all know is akin to kicking the ball straight out for a throw in. Simpson really needs someone in front of him who'll do all the attacking for him.

5) Marveaux, Jonas, Ben Arfa, posisbly Obertan and maybe even Sammy Ameobi and Vuckic - if they're all fit and some of them turn out to be Premiership standard (very possible), Joey could well find in a few months time that not only is he on the bench, but he's actually several notches down the pecking order. Is he mature enough to accept being a squad or backup player in his final year with us?

I realise "footballing reasons" aren't why we're getting rid of Barton, and that it'd be nice to keep him around as cover/competition for Cabaye and whoever ends up in the right-wing berth, but him leaving on a free in a year's time anyway coupled with the above reasons plus his personality (imo he'd lash out in one way or another at some point if dropped for a long period) and his high wages, then yeah, this is probably best for all parties, including us.

I long for the day that we can compete with the might of West Ham and Queens Park Rangers on wages. Until then I guess we just have to accept that big clubs like that can poach our best players.

Sad isn't it.

I long for the day that we can compete with the might of West Ham and Queens Park Rangers on wages. Until then I guess we just have to accept that bigger clubs like that can poach our best players.

Stop it, you're becoming embarrassing.

That ship sailed months ago.

When WHU and QPR start signing Colo, Tiote and Ben Arfa you might be right.

Fucking Ben Arfa. :lol:

He looks like a really talented player but (through no fault of his own) he's barely played for us man. Come on.

When WHU and QPR start signing Colo, Tiote and Ben Arfa you might be right.

Fucking Ben Arfa. :lol:

He looks like a really talented player but (through no fault of his own) he's barely played for us man. Come on.

The hype about Ben Arfa is incredible at times considering that.

What happened to Dave, he used to be such a happy go lucky type.

In some ways I'm glad that he's not our problem anymore but it drives me mad that we let him go for free. Could have extracted 2~3 mil out of some club easily[/].

To what end exactly? like it would be spent anyway. Only concern here is that we're another player down, there has to be investment in the squad before August 31st.

In some ways I'm glad that he's not our problem anymore but it drives me mad that we let him go for free. Could have extracted 2~3 mil out of some club easily.

I think we've spent all summer trying to extract a couple of million for him, unfortunately nobody's going to pay money for a player like Barton.

£75k a week for 4 years.  :undecided:

Imo he would have taken half of it here if he was offered it today.

Good one :lol:  You are joking yeah? ???

Not really, i might be naive but i think he was desperate to stay.