Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I don't get why people are divided, he came sucked us dry, thought it was about time to refresh his paycheck and sign his goldy pension. Then he started to play to the quality he knew he could.

But all other then this season we've wasted shitloads of cash on him. And thats not even underestimating. He should respect the man who gives him work. And nonetheless the man who actually made it possible for him to play at this level again.

Who in here would have thought that he would ever play at this level again if we sacked him the moment he went to jail?

Guest toonlass

Give over "TherealnorthernToon". Joey Barton is the first person who will admit he hasn't delivered here, but he also admits that he had both an alcohol problem and problems with his attitude which he has worked on. It's no good saying "He hasn't delivered in the past". We, and he, knows that. But he has gone out there, faced his demons and shown that he is worth the money. And he has shown he is worth a new contract. You don't like it, then tough, but he has been quality on the whole this season.

Let's not get too naive here. A player coming into the final year of his contract knows that he can ask for an inflated wage at the end of the year from any interested club because they won't have to pay a transfer fee. Barton's comment that he won't agree to go even if the club wants to sell him has to be seen in that light.

As for the 'I've only been offered a third of my current salary', we don't know what is offered in terms of bonuses for the team's performance. A lot of players seem to have been happy to sign up to Ashley's contracts so let's hang fire on this one.

You are all over the shop defending your pals Mike & Del.

A player coming into the final year of his contract knows that he can ask for an inflated wage at the end of the year from any interested club because they won't have to pay a transfer fee.

Barton has made clear he is willing to take a pay cut

As for the 'I've only been offered a third of my current salary', we don't know what is offered in terms of bonuses for the team's performance.

So do you reckon Barton has went out of his way to mislead people by not mentioning bonuses. I don't.

A lot of players seem to have been happy to sign up to Ashley's contracts
Any of the big hitters? Jose = NO. Barton = No. Once AC knew his value had increased it was also a no.

a) I know what Barton has said, but so far he hasn't signed anything so we don't know his exact position. Action, words, louder etc

b) Obviously we don't know what's going on, but I think the idea that Joey hasn't given us the full picture is perfectly plausible. The club has been talking about making a large part of new contracts performance-related, for both players and coaching staff.

I'm not sure that Joey would necessarily regard giving a partial picture as deceitful. He might see it as street-wise and canny in this dog eat dog world.

Joey also loves to attract sympathy and attention and this may be another example of it.

c) Tiote, Carroll and Ben Arfa are certainly big hitters. The fact that Carroll later asked for more when Liverpool came in isn't the main point. He was sufficiently satisfied with his contract this season to sign it, as were several others.

It seems to me that the big problem, as with Owen, isn't that the new contracts are too small. It's that the old ones were set at too high a level for the club to afford.

With the salary he's on right now, we could afford two players of a slightly less calibre, wich would be better imo. Either he cuts it down in half to make room for his backup or bugger off. His reputation as a footballer has been carried during his time here. We should actually sue him like chelsea sued mutu.

How on earth is that better?  :lol:

With the salary he's on right now, we could afford two players of a slightly less calibre, wich would be better imo. Either he cuts it down in half to make room for his backup or bugger off. His reputation as a footballer has been carried during his time here. We should actually sue him like chelsea sued mutu.

How on earth is that better?  :lol:

They'd be good, wholesome lads like Shola. :bluestar: :kinnear:

Its better in the regard of backups. Why is that? simply, we wouldn't have to play simpson at rw, ranger rb, colccini cf.... you get the picture.

How on earth is that better?   :lol:

They'd be good, wholesome lads like Shola. :bluestar: :kinnear:

Simply backups. Wouldn't have to play simpson rw, nolan at cb, coloccini at cf... you get the point.

Give over "TherealnorthernToon". Joey Barton is the first person who will admit he hasn't delivered here, but he also admits that he had both an alcohol problem and problems with his attitude which he has worked on. It's no good saying "He hasn't delivered in the past". We, and he, knows that. But he has gone out there, faced his demons and shown that he is worth the money. And he has shown he is worth a new contract. You don't like it, then tough, but he has been quality on the whole this season.

He's proved he's worth that money on current performances, but I agree that he's not been worth anywhere near the money we've paid overall and his form could easily drop.  I also think he should be grateful that we backed him when he went to jail (especially given how completely shit he was as a player at the time).  If he's demanding £60k or he'll go then he can go, at which point his legs will hopefully melt..  I did say IF before people argue that he's not demanding that wage.

Guest Heneage

That'll be the same Man United that are on a financial cliff edge and reported losses of £100m. Have you considered supporting Portsmouth they won the FA Cup the other year.

That'll be the same Man United that are on a financial cliff edge and reported losses of £100m. Have you considered supporting Portsmouth they won the FA Cup last year.

With facts like that I can't wait to read your latest snippet in FourFourTwo.

For the record, Barton has carved a decent career out of being a CM, in an ideal world i'd love him to recapture the form he had playing in the centre like he did at Man City, he's been excellent as a wide midfielder but I'd love to see if he can do it in the centre. I still think he's got it in him to play as one of the 2 CM in a 442 but I'd ideally love to see him alongside tiote in a 4231 formation with the same kind of freedome he's allowed to get on the right.

That'll be the same Man United that are on a financial cliff edge and reported losses of £100m. Have you considered supporting Portsmouth they won the FA Cup the other year.

I'm pretty sure what they pay their players has absolutely fuck all to do with their financial situation.

Guest Heneage

I'm pretty sure what they pay their players has absolutely f*** all to do with their financial situation.

How?

It was what caused Portsmouth such problems paying the likes of John Utaka 80 grand a week. It may not have got them into the trouble but I bet it's not helping.

I'm pretty sure what they pay their players has absolutely f*** all to do with their financial situation.

How?

It was what caused Portsmouth such problems paying the likes of John Utaka 80 grand a week. It may not have got them into the trouble but I bet it's not helping.

My bad, phrased it badly, I only meant Man Utd. It's exactly what caused the problems at Pompey, but I don't think they're the 'successful club' Wullie was referring to.

Guest Heneage

True.

The problem is that we aren't comparable to Manchester United, it's a different situation at Newcastle.

Portsmouth who are now financially secure and in a comfortable position in the Championship? Back on their feet in less than a season, despite having a third of our gate.

They got relegated having won an FA Cup and come within a missed penalty of winning another.

We got relegated having won fuck all.

I'd swap.