Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Heneage

That'll be the same Man United that are on a financial cliff edge and reported losses of £100m. Have you considered supporting Portsmouth they won the FA Cup the other year.

Portsmouth who are now financially secure and in a comfortable position in the Championship? Back on their feet in less than a season, despite having a third of our gate.

They got relegated having won an FA Cup and come within a missed penalty of winning another.

We got relegated having won f*** all.

I'd swap.

I think you're crazy. I've yet to see any proof of Porstmouth being financially secure but if you have links to anything I'll be more than happy to concur with your claim.

We are in a much better position than Portsmouth and if you'd swap that for a Cup that's lost all of the reverence it once held then fine. I would rather see us attract exciting players like Tiote and HBA and push up the league hopefully towards Europe.

That'll be the same Man United that are on a financial cliff edge and reported losses of £100m. Have you considered supporting Portsmouth they won the FA Cup the other year.

Portsmouth who are now financially secure and in a comfortable position in the Championship? Back on their feet in less than a season, despite having a third of our gate.

They got relegated having won an FA Cup and come within a missed penalty of winning another.

We got relegated having won f*** all.

I'd swap.

Wullie, you serious?

We got relegated having won fuck all.

I'd swap.

You realise Portsmouth only own about three of their players?

Have the Chicken Littles considered supporting any of the many clubs throughout the leagues who live nice and sensibly, treading water within their means, won't take a punt on the wages or fee of an exciting looking player, sell anyone who develops well during their time at the club if they get a good offer and never show any drive or ambition to improve the club?  Wigan seem to be on a pretty sound financial footing,  and they won't go into meltdown if they go down, go and watch  dull as dishwater Championship Football in their three-quarters empty stadium, much better as a supporter than having £100m debt and 18 premier league titles.  Is it the dawn of the internet that's created this breed of fan who seems to support financial facts and figures more than what goes on on the pitch on a match day?

Depends on what you think our relative prospects are I suppose. Personally I think it'll be a bloody miracle if we survive next season.

Because thinking we'll get relegated this season just isn't negative enough anymore.

Hear hear Bluestar. I remember the days when threads about players discussed their ability with regards to whether we should keep them or not. Now it's generally a case of 'keep so-and-so, he's only on £x a week' or 'we should get rid of Joe Striker if he's on £y a week, despite the fact he's our best player'.

Here's a novel idea: if they're good, keep them. If they're not, don't.

Have the Chicken Littles considered supporting any of the many clubs throughout the leagues who live nice and sensibly, treading water within their means, won't take a punt on the wages or fee of an exciting looking player, sell anyone who develops well during their time at the club if they get a good offer and never show any drive or ambition to improve the club?  Wigan seem to be on a pretty sound financial footing,  and they won't go into meltdown if they go down, go and watch  dull as dishwater Championship Football in their three-quarters empty stadium, much better as a supporter than having £100m debt and 18 premier league titles.  Is it the dawn of the internet that's created this breed of fan who seems to support financial facts and figures more than what goes on on the pitch on a match day?

So unbelievably wide of the mark, it's untrue. Genuinely staggered that such a (usually) decent poster could be so out of touch/ignorant of other clubs in the league.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How about sharing your knowledge with other posters, and correct them where they've went wrong with education, rather than Ronaldo-esque put down posts, that hint you have some secret divine wisdom you very rarely show. I'd love to know/read what you know about Wigan's financial issues.

Depends on what you think our relative prospects are I suppose. Personally I think it'll be a bloody miracle if we survive next season.

Because thinking we'll get relegated this season just isn't negative enough anymore.

:lol:

Surely if we survive this season we've got a great chance of pushing on next year? With Ben Arfa fit, a couple of decent new signings, we'll be alreet.

Although I'm not so sure about the season after next.... eek!

:lol:

Surely if we survive this season we've got a great chance of pushing on next year? With Ben Arfa fit, a couple of decent new signings, we'll be alreet.

Although I'm not so sure about the season after next.... eek!

as always, it depends on the attitude of mike ashley. for me the question was what his policy would be once the youngsters were good players in their own right and that was answered emphatically by the carroll sale. the question now is what he wants to do with the cash, will other players be sold at a profit if possible. again though, i'm not holding out any hope of nufc being a better team being near the top of his priority list.

Have the Chicken Littles considered supporting any of the many clubs throughout the leagues who live nice and sensibly, treading water within their means, won't take a punt on the wages or fee of an exciting looking player, sell anyone who develops well during their time at the club if they get a good offer and never show any drive or ambition to improve the club?  Wigan seem to be on a pretty sound financial footing,  and they won't go into meltdown if they go down, go and watch  dull as dishwater Championship Football in their three-quarters empty stadium, much better as a supporter than having £100m debt and 18 premier league titles.  Is it the dawn of the internet that's created this breed of fan who seems to support financial facts and figures more than what goes on on the pitch on a match day?

So unbelievably wide of the mark, it's untrue. Genuinely staggered that such a (usually) decent poster could be so out of touch/ignorant of other clubs in the league.

Surely they are though?  i mean, they're following the perfect formula of being owned by a wanker sportswear tycoon, refusing to pay premier league wages and using the main procurement/retention tactic of being a club which will give a premier league stage to players not proven enough to get into most top-tier sides with the understanding they can fuck off as soon as anyone else is interested without difficult decisions about whether to go or accept an improved package to stay.

I can't say that the finances of Wigan FC are something even a keen follower of the Premier League would be exposed to much in their day to day media consumption, but the last I heard Whelan was about to pay their remaining debt and leave them totally debt free, which puts them in a Champions League spot in the imaginary table of financial shrewdness, even as they serve up turgid bottom of the league shit to the fans who actually watch them play.

http://www.footballtradedirectory.com/news/2011/february/whelan-to-clear-50m-wigan-debt.html

Have the Chicken Littles considered supporting any of the many clubs throughout the leagues who live nice and sensibly, treading water within their means, won't take a punt on the wages or fee of an exciting looking player, sell anyone who develops well during their time at the club if they get a good offer and never show any drive or ambition to improve the club?  Wigan seem to be on a pretty sound financial footing,  and they won't go into meltdown if they go down, go and watch  dull as dishwater Championship Football in their three-quarters empty stadium, much better as a supporter than having £100m debt and 18 premier league titles. Is it the dawn of the internet that's created this breed of fan who seems to support financial facts and figures more than what goes on on the pitch on a match day?

Great post, and final point.

Hear hear Bluestar. I remember the days when threads about players discussed their ability with regards to whether we should keep them or not. Now it's generally a case of 'keep so-and-so, he's only on £x a week' or 'we should get rid of Joe Striker if he's on £y a week, despite the fact he's our best player'.

It's because of the days where we did what you suggested though that we're in this situation financially. Catch 22.

It's because of the days where we did what you suggested though that we're in this situation financially. Catch 22.

Absolute rubbish. We didn't get into this situation (if it can still be considered a situation) by keeping our best players. We got into this situation through irresponsible management and failed marquee signings.

Be interested in anything you like but I'm interested in football. I recognise the club has to leave within its means (the third largest gate in the country), just like it did under Keegan and Robson, but talk of losing a key player, not because he wants more money but because he might not want to take enough of a massive pay cut is beyond ridiculous.

Be interested in anything you like but I'm interested in football. I recognise the club has to leave within its means (the third largest gate in the country), just like it did under Keegan and Robson, but talk of losing a key player, not because he wants more money but because he might not want to take enough of a massive pay cut is beyond ridiculous.

It didn't live within its means under Keegan and Robson though, did it? I'm not blaming them personally, but they were part of the regime that overspent enough to put us in financial trouble now.

Guest Heneage

Absolute rubbish. We didn't get into this situation (if it can still be considered a situation) by keeping our best players. We got into this situation through irresponsible management and failed marquee signings.

No we got into it by not caring what we paid players, as Wullie is advocating. Dyer on 80 grand a week, is the epitome of what was wrong with that period for the club.

Even if we assume (because he's still not proved) Portsmouth are on a sure footing financially can you think of any players worth their salt wanting to join them? Or even a 17 year old just starting out?

No we got into it by not caring what we paid players, as Wullie is advocating. Dyer on 80 grand a week, is the epitome of what was wrong with that period for the club.

Even if we assume (because he's still not proved) Portsmouth are on a sure footing financially can you think of any players worth their salt wanting to join them? Or even a 17 year old just starting out?

So the signings of Viduka, Owen, Duff etc on reported £70,000 a week wages didn't contribute?

OK, I'm wrong.