Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

People need to think outside the box a bit here imo. Playing in the centre doesn't mean he's restricted to the centre circle, especialy when a part of a midfield 3. He'll be given the freedom he needs, but doesn't get when part of a midfield 2 (where you have to be much more diciplined). He would also be free to push out onto the right during periods of the game.

Aye, he'd have the freedom there which really is key to his success on the right.

Barton was rubbish in the middle so what makes people think he'd work in a central three?

Aye.

Did he not often play in the centre alongside Nolan and/or Smith?

Played alongside Smith/Tiote when Routlege was wide with Nolan off Carroll iirc. He was alongside Smith when we raped Villa, and he played well. Pulled the strings against Everton alongside Tiote too aswell as playing well in the couple of games Nath has mentioned.

The 'Barton CANNOT play centre mid' is completely overplayed, he's far better on the right as he's given the freedom he needs imo, but he's not the slow, weak lumbering sloth people seem to claim he is in the centre.

People seem to forget that there were plenty of times Barton was our best player irrespective of the assists stats etc. If one of the new players proves to be better then fine but as things stand he's still a starter IMO.

From his tweets it seems pretty clear that he values the old guard above the new arrivals. Joey would be an asset next season if he was prepared to be part of the new look Newcastle but he doesn't seem too sold on the club's view of the way forward which could be a problem. 

???

Examples?

Didn't Barton say something about how he's unhappy that the club are replacing all the older players and buying younger, quicker and better players?

IIRC he said it seemed unlikely they'd do all that without spending any money, in a sarcastic tone as some of us might. Obviously in reference to his own situation.

Looking more and more like he's wrong about that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he knew about Nolan going at that point.

looking more and more right from where i'm sitting

On the agenda horse?

Barton was rubbish in the middle so what makes people think he'd work in a central three?

Aye.

Played alongside Smith/Tiote when Routlege was wide with Nolan off Carroll iirc. He was alongside Smith when we raped Villa, and he played well. Pulled the strings against Everton alongside Tiote too aswell as playing well in the couple of games Nath has mentioned.

The 'Barton CANNOT play centre mid' is completely overplayed, he's far better on the right as he's given the freedom he needs imo, but he's not the slow, weak lumbering sloth people seem to claim he is in the centre.

I think this forum is quality, best NUFC one by quite a distance.  One thing I have noticed in my short time on here is that people seem a bit extreme with their opinions.  Seems to be no middle ground.

I would agree that Joey has been far more effective on the right and he has had some poor games at centre mid for NUFC.  I would tend to disagree with "Joey is shit at centre mid, he clearly can't play there, has to play right wing or not at all"

If I'm not mistaken this is the man that has spent his entire career at centre mid up until about October last year and pretty much kept Man City up on his own by playing at centre mid.  Although I doubt many Citeh fans would admit that.

Aye.

I think this forum is quality, best NUFC one by quite a distance.  One thing I have noticed in my short time on here is that people seem a bit extreme with their opinions.  Seems to be no middle ground.

I would agree that Joey has been far more effective on the right and he has had some poor games at centre mid for NUFC.  I would tend to disagree with "Joey is s*** at centre mid, he clearly can't play there, has to play right wing or not at all"

If I'm not mistaken this is the man that has spent his entire career at centre mid up until about October last year and pretty much kept Man City up on his own by playing at centre mid.  Although I doubt many Citeh fans would admit that.

What's this I see? A voice of reason?

No, no, no! That's not the way we do things round here..

People seem to forget that there were plenty of times Barton was our best player irrespective of the assists stats etc. If one of the new players proves to be better then fine but as things stand he's still a starter IMO.

From his tweets it seems pretty clear that he values the old guard above the new arrivals. Joey would be an asset next season if he was prepared to be part of the new look Newcastle but he doesn't seem too sold on the club's view of the way forward which could be a problem. 

???

Examples?

Didn't Barton say something about how he's unhappy that the club are replacing all the older players and buying younger, quicker and better players?

IIRC he said it seemed unlikely they'd do all that without spending any money, in a sarcastic tone as some of us might. Obviously in reference to his own situation.

Looking more and more like he's wrong about that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he knew about Nolan going at that point.

looking more and more right from where i'm sitting

On the agenda horse?

eurgh. come on then, explain how he's looking more and more wrong by stating that we were looking for cheaper players when everyone we've signed so far has been on the cheap (and dont drag this down into 'just because they dont cost 20m it doesnt mean they wont improve the team' territory)

if you use paper speculation as evidence you're an unfortunate individual

Buying good players for cheap prices is brilliant, I don't give a toss what Barton thinks about it TBH.

Yeah, seems to be way too many people thinking a good signing MUST cost large amounts of money.

more importantly, one person seems to think a good signing MUST NOT cost more than a 'bargain'

Barton was very good in the first half against WBA in the middle.

Think he'd work well in a three man midfield, like TT said, he hardly hugs the wings when he's played on the right in a four man midfield.

Buying good players for cheap prices is brilliant, I don't give a toss what Barton thinks about it TBH.

Yeah, seems to be way too many people thinking a good signing MUST cost large amounts of money.

more importantly, one person seems to think a good signing MUST NOT cost more than a 'bargain'

Ah give him a chance, 21st June...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its not so much his position on the pitch, but the position of his marking. When he's out right and drifts around the opposition never really adjust as to who will mark him. Does the LM follow and leave the left flank open for Simpson to exploit? Yet, when he starts in the middle, there's often a man for man match up in the middle every time, since he's easier to track.

Ah give him a chance, 21st June...

absolutely agree, merely responses to posts. i've changed my mind before and will again (forum suicide). I speak as i find though.

I don't think Barton has ever said anything about having to spend loads of money on players tbh, I think he was more onabout wages, and sugested that the club wanted rid of him to bring in someone "younger, better and cheaper (wages)", which tbh would be pretty hard to find.

He'd almost certainly work well on the right of a midfield three.

I would think he could do a very good job there. Wether he would be first choice come the start of the season is a different matter though.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's not 'shit' in central midfield, and he would work well in a midfield three (If he is still here).

He's not 's***' in central midfield, and he would work well in a midfield three (If he is still here).

In a midfield three he'd have the same role that Cabaye's been brought in to do, can't see us signing Cabaye and not playing him ahead of Barton in that position.

He'd almost certainly work well on the right of a midfield three.

I would think he could do a very good job there. Wether he would be first choice come the start of the season is a different matter though.

And that is the key, IMO.  If Barton isn't first choice, he's going to kick up a storm.  He's on the last year of his deal and he's looking at one more big payday.  I can't see him accepting a bench role to start the season.

Is that not too deep for Ben Arfa, or do you mean...

---Barton--------Cabaye-------Tiote---------Marveaux--

--------------------------Ben Arfa-----------------------------

------------------------------Ba--------------------------------

I'd like to see what Jonas is like left-side of a midfield three tbh.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's not 's***' in central midfield, and he would work well in a midfield three (If he is still here).

In a midfield three he'd have the same role that Cabaye's been brought in to do, can't see us signing Cabaye and not playing him ahead of Barton in that position.

Yeah, exactly. Hence why I just can't really see him being here.

Is that not too deep for Ben Arfa, or do you mean...

---Barton--------Cabaye-------Tiote---------Marveaux--

--------------------------Ben Arfa-----------------------------

------------------------------Ba--------------------------------

I'd like to see what Jonas is like left-side of a midfield three tbh.

Might be, meant more as a starting position cause i would like to give him license to roam between our midfielders and striker (if we play just one) in a free role all over the last third with Tiote doing the cleaning and Cabaye spraying the ball around and keep the play ticking and adjust the tempo.

If we go 4-3-3 i woul like to se Jonas in a LM position as well, think he'll do very very well there, carrying the ball from midfield and create spaces for other players, and not in a position where he has to cross/shoot too often, if we go 4-2-3-1 i dont think he would do as well as playing LF.

Aslong as both Barton and Cabaye do there fair share of grafting I cannot realy see them problem with them playing similar roles either side of Tiote (although i'm guessing Cabaye would be the deeper of the 2). Both are technicaly good and have an eye for a pass so they won't hinder us going forwards, it'll be like Xavi and Iniesta either side of Busquets man.