Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

It's a tough one. Barton's a decent player and he was obviously key to us last year.

But it's also true that it was his first good season in 4 and he has by no means earnt his contract. He's also combustible on and off the pitch which means we have to question whether its worth persevering with him.

If the club were in any other situation, I would dump him instantly. But we're not. Transfers, for some reason, seem hard to come by. And we seem so fucking reluctant to actually spend money that good players - like Barton - become a commodity that I feel is too risky to lose. Precisely because we're so reluctant to spend any money. So as a fan, I hoped he stayed. I still do. But unfortunately it's looking extremely unlikely.

And now what's worse is that I don't think we'll get a replacement unless we can get his wages off the wage bill. So one way or another, this shit has to be solved soon. He goes and we get a replacement or he stays and plays. Training alone, eating up wages and not allowing us to get a replacement is the worst fucking thing possible.

Fans bringing Sir Bobby into this .... had Joey had his outburst at Sir Bobby fans would want him shot not shipped out.

Not really how he dealt with Bellamy etc is it. Good managers manage players & their temperaments to get the best out of them. We're far from doing that.

Probably been said, but it seems once again that Ashley not only has the local media in his pocket, but also some of the national media. The local media probably want to keep him sweet, so will watch what they say and I'd imagine that he has mate's in the national press who will look after him too. Didn't one of them used to write for the NotW? Either way, it's a sorry state of affairs when recent history is being revised to get Barton out of the door and also to get NUFC fans to turn against him. What a scummy club we currently support. Makes me ashamed to be a black and white at the moment. :( Even more so than when those knackers ran on the pitch at Darlington the other week - this is far worse.

And again, which quality players are going to come and play for an owner who will stab you in the back at the first available sign of dissent/opportunity?

Ben Arfa, cabaye, Ba, Marveaux?

DUH!

:doh:

Most of them unproven in the PL! Ba has onyl played 12 games, ffs. And if they joined on the promise of the club pushing on and showing ambition, what do you think will happen next year when hopefully we've managed to stay clear of relegation (which is looking likely)? They will be off quicker than s*** off a shovel.

Side point but every player in the entire league was 'unproven in the PL' as some point. Think people place too much on this.

There's always an excuse.

Their always injured and so they aren't good signings!

They're unporven in the league!

They're Frencch bottlers!

They don't have enough passion!

Boring.

Tend to agree with this, the lack of any optimism about our new signings is pretty depressing. Cabaye and Ben Arfa in particular I'm very happy about, and Ba is (shock horror) proven to be able to get goals at this level.

Most people bringing up them being unproven in the league are just pointing out that we are currently taking risks replacing these proven premier league players with those that are not. Yes they may also have the potential to be better ofcourse, hopefully they will all step up. But you cant currently use them as justification for any idea that we'll clearly be completely fine as we have all these class players, no one can say that yet & some try to lean towards it.

Yeah, any signing carries a risk, but I think the scales have been tipped far too far towards expectation of failure. They're all exciting players IMO, and our youngsters have had a good preseason too.

Fans bringing Sir Bobby into this .... had Joey had his outburst at Sir Bobby fans would want him shot not shipped out.

eurgh, what are you on about? Bobby clearly had the best interests of the club at heart, in every respect.

Guest cr4igora

God help NUFC.

The defeatist attitude re Ashley saddens me.

He is a c***, who is pissing on Bobby's Grave and wiping his arse on the NUFC colours.

Some on here are showing the symptoms of Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't think you are being dramatic enough.

Ha ha ha!!!

Why the feck does everyone keep going on about its wrong to let him go on a free ?

He was leaving on a free anyway at the end of season, no contract being offered and no one wanted to buy him anyway, the teams are only interested in him as he for nothing, with everything thats happened it has got to be the right thing to part ways surely, for the sake of a couple million.

What you have to realise is people cannot look past their hatred for Ashley and Llambias in any single circumstance.

No matter what any individual does they will claim it is right as long as it is in opposition to Ashley.

Joey Barton and Willie McKay are clearly using this to their advantage in this situation.

I don't know when it became acceptable to rubbish your club and behave so badly because you don't think the owner is spending enough money, or giving contracts to your mates.

The owners have stated that this is how the club is going to be run. Support the team, and look forward to better days, whether that be a change in ownersip as some want, or a change in policy.

Interesting to note the window has a month to run still, but people have convinced themselves that no more players are coming in, and are being fueled by this rage.

What have Everton done this window? What of Villa? Did they not just get £36 million from the Downing and Young sales? Other than Zoggy, what?

Senseless behaviour.

Its got nothing to do with a blind hatred of MA/DL, man. Believe it or not, fans want what is best for the team on the pitch.

Barton, despite all his drawbacks, was a key player last season and would in all likelihood have been as influential this year. You can w*** yourself silly over Barton's sale all you want, it won't hide the fact we're another player short going into the season.

Can you guarantee we won't be getting any more players?

This seems to be the root of a lot of anger on here, but ultimately there is a month of the window to run, and the fact is the majority of clubs have done nothing this window, because things haven'treally kicked off yet.

I just don't see the point of getting so wound up over signings at this stage. There's no denying we've done pretty well so far in terms of new players.

Let's see what happens.

I wish I could be more dramatic, but I feel this is just the start of worse problems.

Ashley's in charge, everything that happens on his watch, is his doing.

I don't think he's actually responsible for Joey Barton not knowing what acceptable behaviour is though.

Not really how he dealt with Bellamy etc is it. Good managers manage players & their temperaments to get the best out of them. We're far from doing that.

Am on about fan reaction though.. Sir Bobby was a great manager and would have handled it but at the time fans were livid with Bella's.

It's happening again... supporters are doing it again... We are ignoring how it got to this point and replacing it with a negative agenda spin on the individual.

These people believe what we do about the club, they make their demands and try and force the change the club needs. It doesn't happen, they cause a storm and leave, we turn it into a greed based thing.

It is like they cannot win with supporters, we don't want them to care and have an opinion we want them to shut up and suffer. Look at Shay Given, he left because Ashley decided to stay, Ashley had lied to him, promised spending and signings to take the club forward as he promised the fans, they didn't so Shay wanted away. Supporters turned that into fuck him, greedy bastard who is traitor.

They fight for what this club should have. Of course there will be an element of looking after themselves, this is their occupation and career.

Jose Enrique is now going to leave because the people he loved were sacked/sold and the club aren't spending any money to go anywhere. Supporters will come out and say bye then, fuck you, shit body language, didn't care. Ignoring the reasons why he didn't care!

We are constantly being shafted and all that happens is we have a quick moan then turn a blind eye and get on with things.

If you saw someone jump off the Tyne bridge would you join them?

No but I might think they had a reason for doing it and if it was more than one person doing it then I would think the reason wasn't soley down to one person.

If those people wanted to say alive, they wouldn't jump off the bridge, ie If Joey really wanted to stay he wouldn't keep going on twitter slagging his paymasters off and put them in the position were they effectively sack him.

Guest icemanblue

It's happening again... supporters are doing it again... We are ignoring how it got to this point and replacing it with a negative agenda spin on the individual.

These people believe what we do about the club, they make their demands and try and force the change the club needs. It doesn't happen, they cause a storm and leave, we turn it into a greed based thing.

It is like they cannot win with supporters, we don't want them to care and have an opinion we want them to shut up and suffer. Look at Shay Given, he left because Ashley decided to stay, Ashley had lied to him, promised spending and signings to take the club forward as he promised the fans, they didn't so Shay wanted away. Supporters turned that into fuck him, greedy bastard who is traitor.

They fight for what this club should have. Of course there will be an element of looking after themselves, this is their occupation and career.

Jose Enrique is now going to leave because the people he loved were sacked/sold and the club aren't spending any money to go anywhere. Supporters will come out and say bye then, fuck you, shit body language, didn't care. Ignoring the reasons why he didn't care!

We are constantly being shafted and all that happens is we have a quick moan then turn a blind eye and get on with things.

Aye.

He's lost his dressing room power, along with his mates and he doesn't like the culture shift. He's just not the main man anymore and I don't think he can accept that. If the reports of his treatment to Cabaye are true, it is absolutely scandalous. The guy doesn't even speak decent English, yet he has some Scouse ripping into him after a good performance? It makes him sound like a bully.

What did he say to Cabaye (apparently)?

It is like they cannot win with supporters, we don't want them to care and have an opinion we want them to shut up and suffer. Look at Shay Given, he left because Ashley decided to stay, Ashley had lied to him, promised spending and signings to take the club forward as he promised the fans, they didn't so Shay wanted away. Supporters turned that into f*** him, greedy b****** who is traitor.

Jose Enrique is now going to leave because the people he loved were sacked/sold and the club aren't spending any money to go anywhere. Supporters will come out and say bye then, f*** you, s*** body language, didn't care. Ignoring the reasons why he didn't care!

If Jose Enrique leaves, it will be because he has been so exceptional, that better clubs have made thier interest known, and are willing to pay him a decent amount more than Newcastle are.

As simple as that. It happens in football.

Can you guarantee we won't be getting any more players?

This seems to be the root of a lot of anger on here, but ultimately there is a month of the window to run, and the fact is the majority of clubs have done nothing this window, because things haven'treally kicked off yet.

I just don't see the point of getting so wound up over signings at this stage. There's no denying we've done pretty well so far in terms of new players.

Let's see what happens.

The majority of Premiership clubs have bought players in, I would say that we are somewhere in the middle of the clubs who have and haven't.  Also, we'll only know if we've done well when players start producing on the pitch.

Joey Barton's tweet the last straw for NUFC

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Aug 2 2011

JOEY BARTON’S spiral to the Newcastle United departure lounge has been an ongoing affair which finally reached a head at Elland Road.

The Chronicle understands there was an uneasy relationship with certain players and staff for months – BEFORE his Twitter rant became the straw which broke the camel’s back in the eyes of the current regime.

Yesterday’s free transfer listing of Barton was not just based on his attack on the Newcastle board via the social networking tool.

It is also believed that Barton and another United player rowed furiously before a Premier League game towards the end of last season, as tensions over the Merseysider’s lack of a new contract offer began polluting the air behind the scenes.

Several dressing room rows towards the end of last season, as well as during pre-season, are also thought to have contributed to the player’s demise on Tyneside.

This culminated with Barton’s Twitter rant against the United board on Sunday, before it was made clear he no longer had a future at St James’ Park.

The Scouser looked clearly disgruntled during the warm-up before the Leeds game.

And it quickly became apparent to eagle-eyed observers from the stands that there was a commotion between Barton and some team members.

But the decision to finally transfer list Barton is understood to have been factored by the following:

The refusal to shake the manager’s hand after being told he hadn’t been appointed captain at Leeds.

The potential to be a bad influence on younger players in the dressing room, with several of the squad still under 21.

The impression created on United’s new signings and future signings of the club, some of which could be in place soon.

A rant during the warm-up at Leeds, at half-time and at full-time following the 3-2 defeat.

Barton’s dismay over the decision to allow new boy Yohan Cabaye take all of the corners and free-kicks during the game against Leeds.

And finally the straw that broke the camel’s back with his remarks on Twitter, which caused unrest for the second weekend running within United ranks.

Barton was offered the chance to talk to the media on his way out of Elland Road but looking clearly unhappy, he declined the chance to speak.

However, the origins of Barton’s unrest stem from contract talks back in January, when he shook hands on a new deal at the club – before changing his mind.

This left Barton in limbo with his current Newcastle deal expiring in June 2012.

Barton’s own take on the situation came via his Twitter site, saying: “Somewhere in those high echelons of NUFC, they have decided, I am persona non grata.

“I am on a free but the honour of wearing those black and white stripes surpasses that.

“One day the board might realise, what the shirt signifies. HONOUR and PRIDE.

“Thanks for your continued support.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/02/joey-barton-s-tweet-the-last-straw-for-nufc-72703-29159767/#ixzz1TrxvFb5n

You don't have to turn a blind eye, you could always demand someone else buy the club and invest more money in the squad, or join the NUST and demand Ashley sell up. Or boycott the club's pies and buy greggs pasties. I'm sure there are many exciting avenues to force change.

God help NUFC.

The defeatist attitude re Ashley saddens me.

He is a c***, who is pissing on Bobby's Grave and wiping his arse on the NUFC colours.

Some on here are showing the symptoms of Stockholm Syndrome.

Personaly, I think it's disgusting the way you keep harping on about Sir Bobby's grave.

I'm sure you can get your point accross without trivialising it the way you do.

You are an emotional wreck at the minute, and really need to get a hold of yourself.

It's football, seriously.

Joey Barton's tweet the last straw for NUFC

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Aug 2 2011

JOEY BARTON’S spiral to the Newcastle United departure lounge has been an ongoing affair which finally reached a head at Elland Road.

The Chronicle understands there was an uneasy relationship with certain players and staff for months – BEFORE his Twitter rant became the straw which broke the camel’s back in the eyes of the current regime.

Yesterday’s free transfer listing of Barton was not just based on his attack on the Newcastle board via the social networking tool.

It is also believed that Barton and another United player rowed furiously before a Premier League game towards the end of last season, as tensions over the Merseysider’s lack of a new contract offer began polluting the air behind the scenes.

Several dressing room rows towards the end of last season, as well as during pre-season, are also thought to have contributed to the player’s demise on Tyneside.

This culminated with Barton’s Twitter rant against the United board on Sunday, before it was made clear he no longer had a future at St James’ Park.

The Scouser looked clearly disgruntled during the warm-up before the Leeds game.

And it quickly became apparent to eagle-eyed observers from the stands that there was a commotion between Barton and some team members.

But the decision to finally transfer list Barton is understood to have been factored by the following:

The refusal to shake the manager’s hand after being told he hadn’t been appointed captain at Leeds.

The potential to be a bad influence on younger players in the dressing room, with several of the squad still under 21.

The impression created on United’s new signings and future signings of the club, some of which could be in place soon.

A rant during the warm-up at Leeds, at half-time and at full-time following the 3-2 defeat.

Barton’s dismay over the decision to allow new boy Yohan Cabaye take all of the corners and free-kicks during the game against Leeds.

And finally the straw that broke the camel’s back with his remarks on Twitter, which caused unrest for the second weekend running within United ranks.

Barton was offered the chance to talk to the media on his way out of Elland Road but looking clearly unhappy, he declined the chance to speak.

However, the origins of Barton’s unrest stem from contract talks back in January, when he shook hands on a new deal at the club – before changing his mind.

This left Barton in limbo with his current Newcastle deal expiring in June 2012.

Barton’s own take on the situation came via his Twitter site, saying: “Somewhere in those high echelons of NUFC, they have decided, I am persona non grata.

“I am on a free but the honour of wearing those black and white stripes surpasses that.

“One day the board might realise, what the shirt signifies. HONOUR and PRIDE.

“Thanks for your continued support.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/02/joey-barton-s-tweet-the-last-straw-for-nufc-72703-29159767/#ixzz1TrxvFb5n

Mick,

Get the legal papers drafted and fax them straight to Thompson House. Publishing such a bunch of blatant lies must be grounds for a lawsuit!

It is like they cannot win with supporters, we don't want them to care and have an opinion we want them to shut up and suffer. Look at Shay Given, he left because Ashley decided to stay, Ashley had lied to him, promised spending and signings to take the club forward as he promised the fans, they didn't so Shay wanted away. Supporters turned that into f*** him, greedy b****** who is traitor.

Jose Enrique is now going to leave because the people he loved were sacked/sold and the club aren't spending any money to go anywhere. Supporters will come out and say bye then, f*** you, s*** body language, didn't care. Ignoring the reasons why he didn't care!

If Jose Enrique leaves, it will be because he has been so exceptional, that better clubs have made thier interest known, and are willing to pay him a decent amount more than Newcastle are.

As simple as that. It happens in football.

Not at all. Enrique has shown plenty of signs that he would stay if the club had ambition and hadn't flogged Hughton, Carroll, Nolan and now Barton.

If those people wanted to say alive, they wouldn't jump off the bridge, ie If Joey really wanted to stay he wouldn't keep going on twitter slagging his paymasters off and put them in the position were they effectively sack him.

My point is though that Barton isn't the problem at the club, he's a symptom.  In this instance he's causing his own problems but he isn't the only one who appears to be pissed off and the ones making the noises are all pointing to the people above them.  The common theme is that we have problems within the club and the people running it are lairs and that isn't going to go away if and when Barton leaves the club.