Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Oh great, Barton will now drag his heels, move at last minute and we don't get a replacement

Barton dosnt love this club. Understand that

Disclaimer: Ashley us a c*** too

Why would Barton dragging his heels on a free transfer stop us from bringing in a replacement?

Guest icemanblue

We've already signed three midfielders though, I don't think we should slam the club for not "replacing" Barton. Everyone who leaves doesn't have to be followed immediately by someone coming in to "replace" them.

:lol: Really? We won't need to replace one of our best players? Getting yourself set for this one good and early, mate.

We've already signed three midfielders though, I don't think we should slam the club for not "replacing" Barton. Everyone who leaves doesn't have to be followed immediately by someone coming in to "replace" them.

:lol: Really? We won't need to replace one of our best players? Getting yourself set for this one good and early, mate.

Sometimes you "need a replacement", like in the case of Enrique. Sometimes you would like someone in that position to give more depth.

What if we'd got rid of Barton and then signed Cabaye, Marveaux and Abeid? Seems more about timing to me.

Guest icemanblue

Sometimes you "need a replacement", like in the case of Enrique. Sometimes you would like someone in that position to give more depth.

What if we'd got rid of Barton and then signed Cabaye, Marveaux and Abeid? Seems more about timing to me.

We've also sold Nolan. Marveaux is a winger, a position we've needed to strengthen since the start of last season, before we sold anyone. Abeid was signed as a 'development player'.

With a wafer thin squad like ours you need decent players.

I can see where you're coming from as, we could easily line up with Cabaye and Tiote in the middle and a choice of Gosling, Marveaux and Jonas on the flanks - but two of the three are injury prone and Barton played the majority of the games last season.

He's our best provider of goal scoring chances as well.

Who's our RW then?

Routledge - off

Barton - imminent

Leaves us with Raylor. Someone will say Guti just because he's right footed. Truth is, he plays on the left for a reason.

Still, if you think the sqaud is fine i guess we'll wait and see if you're right.

Ridiculous. Seriously Ian, this is getting pathetic.

Who's our RW then?

Routledge - off

Barton - imminent

Leaves us with Raylor. Someone will say Guti just because he's right footed. Truth is, he plays on the left for a reason.

Still, if you think the sqaud is fine i guess we'll wait and see if you're right.

I never said the squad was "fine". I know we lack options on the right, I've said before that I think we shouldn't have let Routledge go.

You pre-dismissed the suggestion that Gutierrez will play there, so I guess I shouldn't say that.

Has he played LW all of his life?  He's always been suited for the left, as him and Jose have a great understanding and very effective on the left.  Once Jose goes, will Jonas play as well on the left?

Can you please jog on?

At the same time as saying this I'm in the Enrique thread criticising the club if they don't get a replacement, and in this thread I've qualified it by saying I admit the squad could be better. I just think we have bigger priorities than another midfielder, although one would be nice.

There's absolutely no need to be such a dick about it man.

Who's our RW then?

Routledge - off

Barton - imminent

I never said the squad was "fine". I know we lack options on the right, I've said before that I think we shouldn't have let Routledge go.

You pre-dismissed the suggestion that Gutierrez will play there, so I guess I shouldn't say that.

Well, no one else seems to play him there and i'm thinking there's a reason for that. He works the LW position because he can cut inside and force the RB to think about tackling him with his weaker foot. Clearly that won't work as well against a LB. I'm convinced you know this. Think you're just scrabbling around trying to think of a a positive. Fair play i suppose. My emotional outlook is just different to yours (currently).

Can you please jog on?

At the same time as saying this I'm in the Enrique thread criticising the club if they don't get a replacement, and in this thread I've qualified it by saying I admit the squad could be better. I just think we have bigger priorities than another midfielder, although one would be nice.

There's absolutely no need to be such a dick about it man.

There shouldn't be any prioritizing problems. When we rid of our best players(, and have money in the bank), we sure as hell have  to replace them. That's not even ambition, that's just staying put. Ashley has said 10th is a minimum this season - that's not happening if we keep on selling/giving our best players away, and not replacing them.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hope Barton is getting some sort of compensation from Sky Sports News, he's basically provided them with non-stop BREAKING NEWS over the last 2 days. May as well just have a live feed to his twitter account.

Hope Barton is getting some sort of compensation from Sky Sports News, he's basically provided them with non-stop BREAKING NEWS over the last 2 days. May as well just have a live feed to his twitter account.

"We're live to David Craig."

"Well, we seen Joey Barton arrive at training this morning, he was on his phone."

Yeah I know you moron, I'm watching the same pictures you are. Hate that bloke with a passion.

With a wafer thin squad like ours you need decent players.

I can see where you're coming from as, we could easily line up with Cabaye and Tiote in the middle and a choice of Gosling, Marveaux and Jonas on the flanks - but two of the three are injury prone and Barton played the majority of the games last season.

He's our best provider of goal scoring chances as well.

We're not really wafer thin on numbers, but definitely on quality.  By my count, at the moment we have 23 players aged over 21 who would need to be registered as the squad for the coming season.  Assuming that we're keeping a spot free for a striker and want to leave a spot available for Kuqi-type freebies in case of an emergency then we can't really sign any additional players until we move some on as they won't want to have unregistered players at the club, some of whom are earning massive amounts of cash. 

We still have too many mediocre players earning too much money, I don't begrudge paying players like Barton or Enrique a decent wage as they've proved their worth on the pitch (though Barton only managed it last season) but players like Smith, Xisco and Raylor are probably being paid 10 times what they deserve based on their performances for us, but thanks to their age and wages they'll almost certainly be registered in the squad if they're at the club come September.

We won't take the risk of signing replacements for Barton or Enrique until they've actually left the club just in case they don't leave and need to be registered.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

If we'd let Barton go before we'd signed Marveaux and Cabaye would people still be saying we hadn't signed a replacement?

Guest Haris Vuckic

If we'd let Barton go before we'd signed Marveaux and Cabaye would people still be saying we hadn't signed a replacement?

Midfield in :

Marveaux

Cabaye

Midfield out :

Barton

Nolan

Routledge

ashley doesnt want to pay for a squad good enough to have decent 1st team cover = we dont need decent first team cover

ashley doesnt want to pay carroll the wages he's worth and would rather cash in = he's not worth those wages and we're better off with the money anyway

ashley doesnt want to invest to put the club into a position where we can keep a hold of our better players = enrique was always leaving anyway and it wouldnt make any difference what we do

ashley wants to get rid of barton from the wage bill = barton's poison anyway and he wouldnt get in the first team

IT'S OK EVERYONE, EVERYTHING IS FINE AND GOING EXACTLY TO PLAN, GO BACK TO SLEEP EVERYONE