Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just pointing out the truth.

I think I've made it eminently clear what my general opinion of him is. (Somewhere between Hitler and Pol Pot)

He's never been in the habit of selling key players though. (Except maybe Parker and Dyer when he first came in)

Just pointing out the truth.

I think I've made it eminently clear what my general opinion of him is. (Somewhere between Hitler and Pol Pot)

He's never been in the habit of selling key players though. (Except maybe Parker and Dyer when he first came in)

and to be honest they were allardyces decisions.

Selling players was never really the problem, it was the lack of sufficient investment in replacements that has shafted us. People go on about how it's great that many times we've got good fees for sales, well sorry but that means absolutely fuck all to me when it leaves us with garbage on the pitch. Money in the bank doesn't win football matches.

Selling players was never really the problem, it was the lack of sufficient investment in turn that has shafted us. People go on about how it's great that many times we've got good fees for sales, well sorry but that means absolutely f*** all to me when it leaves us with garbage on the pitch. Money in the bank doesn't win football matches.

there was plenty of investment just people think we shouldn't pay bills except transfer fees and wages.

Nobody is defending Ashley here, just pointing out that the panic about losing Barton is probably unwarranted given that he's not a "fire sale" kind of guy.

I'm surprised Dave doesn't see the distinction given his reputation for pedantry. :nile:

Mike Ashley has never sold a first-team player against his will.

Hard to believe, but true.

Yeah but during his era a load have wanted to bail out because its shit for various reasons or because of relegation. Lets be honest the stayers are on the best wages they have ever been on.

My bad Dave, was it me mentioning Dyer's fee? Wasn't defending the financial aspect as such (which, in all fairness, you could argue at this point, as the season we sold Dyer, we bought Barton ;)) just pointing out that he was a pretty worthless player for us and it wasn't just the fact he was a high earner that Ashley was trying to save money on, just more the fact he wasn't needed with the injuries.

And spence, that's a different argument entirely. I'll agree he's run this club dreadfully since arriving and caused players to lose hope, but oldtype is just saying he hasn't sold a shitload of players just because he didn't like them, or wanted to get him off the wagebill.

Change of topic, but somebody I know who's not a toon supporter watched us v. Liverpool and said:

"I saw a right-sided player with no.7 on his back delivering amazing crosses into the box and my first thought was 'David Beckham."

:snod:

And spence, that's a different argument entirely. I'll agree he's run this club dreadfully since arriving and caused players to lose hope, but oldtype is just saying he hasn't sold a shitload of players just because he didn't like them, or wanted to get him off the wagebill.

Relegation helped him out a lot on that one but it is a good point Oldtype has made.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Taking into account the alleged pay structure at the club now (wages capped at £30k/week), they'll probably offer him a new contract taking into account that structure, which he'll probably turn down, and then we'll sell him. His contract still has 18 months left, so it would seem a bit soon to be doing this to just him considering Colo's on £70/80k, and Enrique's meant to be on +£30k.

There's no chance I can see Barton being all "I've played 60 games in 4 years and been paid ridiculously well for it, so I'll take a pay cut because I owe the club..." Obviously the world doesn't work like that, and he'll probably be sold next Summer/2012 Jan window

Taking into account the alleged pay structure at the club now (wages capped at £30k/week), they'll probably offer him a new contract taking into account that structure, which he'll probably turn down, and then we'll sell him. His contract still has 18 months left, so it would seem a bit soon to be doing this to just him considering Colo's on £70/80k, and Enrique's meant to be on +£30k.

There's no chance I can see Barton being all "I've played 60 games in 4 years and been paid ridiculously well for it, so I'll take a pay cut because I owe the club..." Obviously the world doesn't work like that, and he'll probably be sold next Summer/2012 Jan window

He should think like that though. His wage cut will probably be more than what other teams would offer him. I.e Everton. Your top 6 sides wouldn't go near him. His best bet is probably here, and becoming a legend.

Guest Roger Kint

I want Colo and Barton to take wage cuts like. If they don't accept it, I can see them both being sold.

Depending whether they are offering Taylor £40k+,  Barton down to £45-£50k would still be a lot more than he would get elsewhere and would shave best part of £1m a year from the wage bill.

Guest neesy111

Selling players was never really the problem, it was the lack of sufficient investment in replacements that has shafted us. People go on about how it's great that many times we've got good fees for sales, well sorry but that means absolutely fuck all to me when it leaves us with garbage on the pitch. Money in the bank doesn't win football matches.

Then don't sell players, if your not going to replace them with equally as good players.

I want Colo and Barton to take wage cuts like. If they don't accept it, I can see them both being sold.

Colo, Barton, Enrique, Nolan, Smith and Gutierrez will all be on £40k+. R. Taylor and even Xisco will be on 30k+.

Have to work on getting rid on these two before making players take wage cuts.

I think we need more incentive pay structure which regards progress/success.

This and if a plyer deserves a wage rise I.e Ranger, give him one Give him what he's worth. Plus all players should get the same win bonus. It's so unfair if somebody like Carroll gets a higher win bonus than somebody like Simpson because they both would have played their part in the win.