Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

When would you sell them?

The summer, as long as replacements were in place beforehand.

Who would be realistic replacements?

I don't know. It's the job of the club's scouting network to work that out.

But surely if you are saying they must be sold, then you must have some kind of idea of the players we could REALISTICALLY target to replace them.

Not really, no. I'm not going to suddenly rate a player and want him to stay just because I can't think of a replacement though.

We can't afford to sell key members of the squad (which the likes of Nolan, Barton and Colo are) without having a realistic replacement lined up.

That doesn't sound very pragmatic like :lol:

So you suggest we buy/"line up" players who are on a par/better than Barton/Nolan in quality - and attract them to the club with wages lower than their predecessors (which they will surely know), hope they slot into the team as comfortably as two of our four indispensable first-teamers (Carroll, Nolan, Barton, Tiote) and then expect not to get bent over a table by other clubs which know we need to sell Barton/Nolan when negotiating?

But surely if you are saying they must be sold, then you must have some kind of idea of the players we could REALISTICALLY target to replace them.

Not really, no. I'm not going to suddenly rate a player and want him to stay just because I can't think of a replacement though.

We can't afford to sell key members of the squad (which the likes of Nolan, Barton and Colo are) without having a realistic replacement lined up.

I know.

Guest neesy111

I think wage bills are a problem facing most clubs at the moment.  I can see their being a drive across many clubs to bring wages to an acceptable level.  Clubs like Aston Villa and Sunderland are already doing that.

Guest Stephen927

Brilliant idea that like, sell half the players who got us in the league and kept us there and unsettle the squad by making wholesale changes. This isn't Football Manager or FIFA ffs.

Brilliant idea that like, sell half the players who got us in the league and kept us there and unsettle the squad by making wholesale changes. This isn't Football Manager or FIFA ffs.

My point exactly.

Could use your wildcard like ;)

I think Neesy might have hit the nail on the head there Jonny/Wormy(!), unless there is a uniform movement by clubs making a stand against inflated wages, the type of individual club principled stand you seem to propose will only be of detriment to those club in a league where if you're not moving forward (and building teams around the likes of Nolan, Barton, Carroll, Tiote) you're most definitely moving backwards.

Move with the market and think big, because Man City aren't going to surrender to wage caps - it's the only thing that affords them the Yaya Toures of this world.

Guest Stephen927

Pardew: "I'll be speaking to Steven Taylor's agent shortly to try to convince him and the player this is the club to stay at."

I think wage bills are a problem facing most clubs at the moment.  I can see their being a drive across many clubs to bring wages to an acceptable level.  Clubs like Aston Villa and Sunderland are already doing that.

They'll have no choice soon. The FA are implementing a policy in the next couple of years whereby a club's wage bill cannot be more than a specified percentage of their turnover

It's about 10 years too late unfortunately but I imagine a lot of clubs have this in mind with regard to their cost cutting

They'll have no choice soon. The FA are implementing a policy in the next couple of years whereby a club's wage bill cannot be more than a specified percentage of their turnover

It's about 10 years too late unfortunately but I imagine a lot of clubs have this in mind with regard to their cost cutting

A bit like the 6+5 rule that was meant to come into action in 2012.

My point exactly.

Could use your wildcard like ;)

I think Neesy might have hit the nail on the head there Jonny/Wormy(!), unless there is a uniform movement by clubs making a stand against inflated wages, the type of individual club principled stand you seem to propose will only be of detriment to those club in a league where if you're not moving forward (and building teams around the likes of Nolan, Barton, Carroll, Tiote) you're most definitely moving backwards.

Move with the market and think big, because Man City aren't going to surrender to wage caps - it's the only thing that affords them the Yaya Toures of this world.

it's not a principled stand, it's the realisation that if they carry on as they are they'll go bankrupt.

No intention of leaving I think they put it. Sure something will be online soon enough.

I wouldn't have thought that the player would have wanted to leave. It's whether Ashley wants to sell, which is a different matter entirely.

people just need to stop panicking every time one of our players is linked with the exit door, 99% of the time such links are just journos making s*** up

Yup.

Linked with a decent player to buy -  :bs:

Barton being sold for 3 quid -  :kasper: :angry:  :(

http://www.teamtalk.com/aston-villa/6607836/Joey-laughs-off-Toon-exit-talk

Joey laughs off Toon exit talk

Wednesday 22nd December 2010 16:13

Joey Barton has reiterated his desire to stay at Newcastle for the rest of his career amid speculation he could leave the club next month.

The 28-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of next season, has been linked with both West Ham and Aston Villa in recent days, with some reports suggesting he could be available for as little as £1.5million.

But Barton, who joined the Magpies in a £5.8million switch from Manchester City in June 2007, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I was actually laughing about it this morning, saying that I thought £1.5million was a little bit cheap and if I was them, I would ask for more, and we had a good giggle about it.

"People write what they write, it is silly season. I have always gone on record about the affinity I have got with the fans at this football club, and the football club and my fellow players.

"I have been on record as saying I want to stay here for the rest of my career.

"Nothing has happened and no-one has told me otherwise, and as far as I'm concerned, that's what's going to happen."

Barton's comments came hours after manager Alan Pardew insisted neither he nor striker Andy Carroll, reportedly a £20million January target for Tottenham, are for sale.

He said: "I don't want anyone to go. I'm quite happy with the squad.

"Maybe I would like to add an additional couple of players to push the team and just strengthen us as a group.

"But the starting XI is a strong starting XI and it would be difficult to find somebody to go in there at this time.

"I don't want to upset the balance they have and the spirit they have, so I'm doing my utmost to make sure the players we do have here want to play for Newcastle."

Barton might be a high earner but at least he is earning it these days. One of our key players so he must stay to the end of his contract. Whether we'll be able to offer him a new one on similar terms is the real question mark.

Barton an average player with a little extra bit of quality?  Jesus Christ.  Sure he was shit for us most of his time here, but we all knew the talent that he possesses.  If he was an average player, just think how much better the game would be.  Of course it would be an 11 on 11 MMA match, but at least there would be a lot of skill on display.

And I am so confident that he is staying in January, that if he leaves, I will drink a glass of Messi's piss, provided that he sends it to California.

Guest toonarmymia

Barton an average player with a little extra bit of quality?  Jesus Christ.  Sure he was s*** for us most of his time here, but we all knew the talent that he possesses.  If he was an average player, just think how much better the game would be.  Of course it would be an 11 on 11 MMA match, but at least there would be a lot of skill on display.

And I am so confident that he is staying in January, that if he leaves, I will drink a glass of Messi's piss, provided that he sends it to California.

I'm sure we could easier get you a glass or two of Landon's piss now the lazy bastard wants to sit on his arse to the Mickeymouse League Soccer starts again

Glad he's come out and dismissed the talk of leaving and wanting to stay but i am waiting to see if he's still as keen to stay when we offer him a new contract which will have him taking a pay cut of probably 15-20k a week less than he's getting now.