Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Its amazing how easy it is to get on TV these days like. Act like a sexist prick on Twitter and there you go. Being on Piers Morgan will only make him more popular with the Andrew Tate/Lawrence Fox freaks too so expect podcast appearances followed by a YouTube channel in the very near future. 

18 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

Oh man. Piers took the bait. What a doofus.

What bait? He'll just be buzzing to fill a bit of airtime. The ones taking the bait will be the public that inevitably won't resist giving it a watch.

Yeah Barton’s dickhead being a dickhead, no surprises there.

On the other hand, the grain of truth is that there’s an oversupply of female presence of poor quality (like some of the men, fair enough) in football programming at the moment. It often stands out like a sore thumb, as much as I’d absolutely love to see a smart, experienced and strong young woman obliterate the opinion of a [nope] like Merson or lazy and arrogant twat like Neville.

I put on SSN about 3 weeks ago, on a Monday or Tuesday night: There’s a middle aged woman with short grey hair in a tracksuit on a training pitch saying ‘men need to reappraise their attitudes towards women’ or words strongly to that effect. Literally not one person has finished work, come home, reached for the remote and put SSN on to hear that shit. Nobody wants it. It’s overprescribing at best and it does absolutely fuck all for the women’s game, the promotion of which is supposed to be the goal.

5 hours ago, Andymc1 said:

Generally speaking, women presenters are amongst the best in the business. Women pundits are on the whole below average (specifically Leanne Sanderson and Sue Smith). Women commentators in football are on the whole, dreadful. 

That bit I agree with. They can make very decent co-commentators though when they're not trying to sound like the female version of Martin Tyler.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

That bit I agree with. They can make very decent co-commentators though when they're not trying to sound like the female version of Martin Tyler.

As long as there's a man next to them keeping them right?

I think "on the whole" there are good and bad commentators, pundits and presenters of both sexes, it isn't the case that the game is being overwhelmed with women ruining it because for every bad female pundit I can name you 10 bad male ones. There is still a massive majority of men doing punditry and commentary with football in the UK and saying that a few women being involved with it is a problem is misogynistic by its very definition.

To say that women can't comment on the men's game because they never played it is daft because at the end of the day its professional football we're talking about not rocket science, and these women were professional footballers and know more about the sport of football than most. If we're going to start limiting who can say what based on their experience we can go a lot further. How about you can't do punditry of European games unless you played in Europe? You can't comment on Premier League games unless you played in the Premier League? You can't do matches in the title race or finals if you've never been involved in either. Where would that leave the likes of Barton, because the coverage in the UK is full to the neck of journeymen who won fuck all? 

All Barton's ranting has done is give ammunition to the creeps on social media who are constantly berating women for having an opinion on the game. This doesn't stop at pundits and commentators, its runs right down to normal women going to games and talking about the game in the company of men and not being taken seriously because they're women. Its disgusting to see someone with a platform like him spout this shit and even worse when he specifically targeted that young woman making an innocent video at the Man City game, a woman who is no doubt getting abuse now from faceless weirdos on Twitter and the like. 

Barton has clearly either been knocked back from doing punditry himself and is reacting to it, or he is trying to get himself out there and build an online presence similar to that of Andrew Tate, Lawrence Fox and Russell Brand. Saying controversial shite and being labelled a 'man of the people' for 'saying it like it is' by the same idiots whose whole identity is based entirely around hating immigrants, trans people and vaccines. He's a complete prick, always has been, and I hope to God Piers Morgan holds him to account tonight for it but I'll not hold my breath. 

41 minutes ago, joeyt said:

As long as there's a man next to them keeping them right?

I don't know who the female commentator is on MOTD but I can't watch it when she's trying to shout excitedly. It sounds fake. But often when they are co-commenting they are very good, generally very knowledgable. It's got nothing to do with having a man next to them to keep them right, just as most of the female analysts don't need a man next to them in the tv studio to make valid observations.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't know who the female commentator is on MOTD but I can't watch it when she's trying to shout excitedly. It sounds fake. But often when they are co-commenting they are very good, generally very knowledgable. It's got nothing to do with having a man next to them to keep them right, just as most of the female analysts don't need a man next to them in the tv studio to make valid observations.

Sounds like you're lumping all women commentators together based on one person on match of the day

Like me saying I can't listen to Sam Matterface so therefore I don't like male commentators

Andy Hinchcliffe played almost 400 games as a professional footballer, including gaining 7 caps for England.  Don Goodman made nearer to 600 appearances domestically, though was not lucky enough to receive an international call up.

These two must disprove something about what playing experience counts for when it comes to making a good football commentator, as they are both bloody awful at it.

You hear people say you can't be a beautiful, sensual commentator like Karen Carney and still be logical. She's proved them wrong.

Part of the attraction in fact for me to be attracted to a woman, she has to be as intelligent or slightly less intelligent than Peter Drury. And she is.

It's got nowt to do with who says it, it's what's said. It did take a little while to get used to a woman but after a while you just listen to what they say, some are good, some are bad, just like the blokes. Few of them trot out the line of "I've played at a higher level than you so know more than you" but when you listen you have to think "he's talking shite" 

Edited by madras

30 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

You hear people say you can't be a beautiful, sensual commentator like Karen Carney and still be logical. She's proved them wrong.

Part of the attraction in fact for me to be attracted to a woman, she has to be as intelligent or slightly less intelligent than Peter Drury. And she is.

Really? I think I've only heard Karen Carney's punditry a few times and she's managed to completely fuck up her point and trip over her words every time. Plus she speaks like her mouth is full of marbles. 

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Sounds like you're lumping all women commentators together based on one person on match of the day

Like me saying I can't listen to Sam Matterface so therefore I don't like male commentators

Well I'm going off the only example I know of as the main commentator, so that's all I can go off. I also categorically said that for the most part the female co-commentators have been great. I think you are just seeing what you want to see.

Barton is a clown his appearance on the James English podcast was embarrassing. Barton is starting up his own podcast wouldn’t be surprised if this isn’t just some nonsense to whip up a frenzy and traction for it   

Easy to forget about this after tonight’s game but Barton was on Piers Morgan tonight and unsurprisingly he’s changed his argument from all women shouldn’t be allowed to talk about the men’s game to it being earned on merit. I thought the interview was going well until he invited not one but three extra people on and it just became a shouting match.

It’s quite sad too that they invited that mess Pearl Davis on to obviously just spew out controversial nonsense. Barton of course loved her because she’s exactly the type of person he’d have on his own podcast. 

15 hours ago, TRon said:

I’m the other way - female commentators haven’t really arsed me one bit.  I haven’t heard a female co-commentator I’ve liked.

I haven’t heard a male one I’ve liked either, though.  So there is that. 

16 hours ago, gdm said:

Barton is a clown his appearance on the James English podcast was embarrassing. Barton is starting up his own podcast wouldn’t be surprised if this isn’t just some nonsense to whip up a frenzy and traction for it   

so predictable 

12 hours ago, Decky said:

Easy to forget about this after tonight’s game but Barton was on Piers Morgan tonight and unsurprisingly he’s changed his argument from all women shouldn’t be allowed to talk about the men’s game to it being earned on merit. I thought the interview was going well until he invited not one but three extra people on and it just became a shouting match.

It’s quite sad too that they invited that mess Pearl Davis on to obviously just spew out controversial nonsense. Barton of course loved her because she’s exactly the type of person he’d have on his own podcast. 

What a car crash :lol:

Imagine being on a show with Piers Morgan and there being two bigger whoppers than him