Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One thing I've felt more and more about Guthrie from recent weeks is that he has to play down the middle, or not at all. He doesn't have the pace or strength to be effective out wide, and you lose out on his ability to pick a pass, which is his main strength.

Couldn't agree more. He generally looks lost when he's asked to play wide and it's not hard to see why, he's physically not built for it. Same goes for Barton, but similarly he's been asked to play wide far too many games in a Newcastle shirt, usually to accomodate Butt, Smith or Nolan in the centre.

Thirded, he can't impose himself on the game out wide, he doesn't have the physical strength or the pace. Down the middle he's better than any of our other midfielders.

I thought Guthrie's performance on Saturday was as close as you'll get to a 10 out of 10, albeit against a pretty dis-spirited opposition (2nd half).

Ironically while a few players have been better suited to the Championship, I thought Guthrie looked better in the Premiership than he has in this league so far.

He does a better job than anyone bar Routledge out there because of his fantastic delivery, but I agree with Ian. You're only getting 50% out of him when he isn't able to stay inside and get enough time on the ball to get his head up and pick the pass through the middle or get a shot off. Also, we all know it isn't ideal for Simpson or whoever playing behind him when he plays on the wing.

He tends to drift inside anyway, leaving us a bit exposed down the wing. He also doesn't seem to have the stamina to really track back like wide players need to.

Would love to see him play central for the rest of the season, with Pancrate filling in when Routledge is out.

Guthrie was okay in the middle, offered something different to Smith, Butt and Nolan. He still isn't 'the answer' though.

I correct myself - he is the answer...in this division.

Guthrie was okay in the middle, offered something different to Smith, Butt and Nolan. He still isn't 'the answer' though.

I correct myself - he is the answer...in this division.

'The answer' to what?

The countdown conundrum for March 21st 1971.

This is what we wanted to hear

NEWCASTLE United boss Chris Hughton believes Danny Guthrie will go from strength to strength in his new central midfield role – as he backed him to maintain his newly-discovered goal threat.

Since moving into the centre and disrupting Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith’s grip on the midfield engine room, Guthrie has been a revelation, adding creativity to an area that has been solid if unspectacular this season.

Nolan and Smith were the first-choice central pairing for most of the early part of the season but after injuries forced a re-think on Hughton’s part, Guthrie flourished in the rout of Barnsley.

Indeed, he has played a pivotal part in United’s more fluent, attacking performances at home since the turn of the year – his creativity helping Hughton’s men notch some impressive results.

The 22-year-old is playing his best football in black and white since signing from Liverpool and scored twice in the defeat of the Tykes to take his tally to five this season.

It is a contribution that has not gone unnoticed by Hughton, who will again hand Guthrie a central role in the absence of Smith for the trip

to Middlesbrough on Saturday. “Danny Guthrie is a very good footballer and has done very well lately,” Hughton said.

“He can play anywhere across the midfield but he is playing particularly well at the moment and he is still developing. I believe he has plenty of improvement still in him – he was brought here because of his abilities on the ball.

NEWCASTLE United boss Chris Hughton believes Danny Guthrie will go from strength to strength in his new central midfield role – as he backed him to maintain his newly-discovered goal threat.

Since moving into the centre and disrupting Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith’s grip on the midfield engine room, Guthrie has been a revelation, adding creativity to an area that has been solid if unspectacular this season.

Nolan and Smith were the first-choice central pairing for most of the early part of the season but after injuries forced a re-think on Hughton’s part, Guthrie flourished in the rout of Barnsley.

Indeed, he has played a pivotal part in United’s more fluent, attacking performances at home since the turn of the year – his creativity helping Hughton’s men notch some impressive results.

The 22-year-old is playing his best football in black and white since signing from Liverpool and scored twice in the defeat of the Tykes to take his tally to five this season.

It is a contribution that has not gone unnoticed by Hughton, who will again hand Guthrie a central role in the absence of Smith for the trip

to Middlesbrough on Saturday. “Danny Guthrie is a very good footballer and has done very well lately,” Hughton said.

“He can play anywhere across the midfield but he is playing particularly well at the moment and he is still developing. I believe he has plenty of improvement still in him – he was brought here because of his abilities on the ball.

He sounds as if he had discovered that he can play there! Good to see that he will play more often there, would be good to shift Smith's wages on like.

Guest firetotheworks

Had a dream last night that he 'sterl the sher' again in the middle. Be lovely to see him do it away from home.

New central midfield role? :lol:

Thought he was poor again today, shrugged off the ball far to easy and some very poor passes. Unfortunately there were not many decent players today though and I thought Hall, Kadar (when moved to centre half) and Gutierrez were only players who did well

Guest firetotheworks

Thought he was poor again today, shrugged off the ball far to easy and some very poor passes. Unfortunately there were not many decent players today though and I thought Hall, Kadar (when moved to centre half) and Gutierrez were only players who did well

So why single Guthrie out then? Especially as he's been one of our best players lately.