Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First half i was thinking he was going to give another on his performances this season, he did well in the 2nd.

Its a shame really, he was playing very well for us before this season, hope he gets his form back.

Sadly I think the only way he will get back his form is if we go down or he is sold.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Being an effective midfielder isn't just about spectacular runs, passes and goals. Over the years too many decent midfielders at St James have been unfairly judged because they don't play like Gazza.

Central midfielders are the glue that holds the team together. They need to put loads of running and harrying in, be constantly available for passes, give the ball to our own players even if the pass is a simple one, and make runs to stretch the opposition shape and make room for others in our team. This doesn't always catch the eye and sometimes can only be judged by wether the team does well or not.

Guthrie did well last season, and he did well yesterday. He's a decent reserve to have in the squad, and a lot cheaper than Smith.

We owned that midfield in the second half, and without Tiote playing.

Being an effective midfielder isn't just about spectacular runs, passes and goals. Over the years too many decent midfielders at St James have been unfairly judged because they don't play like Gazza.

Central midfielders are the glue that holds the team together. They need to put loads of running and harrying in, be constantly available for passes, give the ball to our own players even if the pass is a simple one, and make runs to stretch the opposition shape and make room for others in our team. This doesn't always catch the eye and sometimes can only be judged by wether the team does well or not.

Guthrie did well last season, and he did well yesterday. He's a decent reserve to have in the squad, and a lot cheaper than Smith.

:clap: :clap:

I was surprised we did so well, he must have had a good look at himself and turned his game around because he owed it to himself and to us to earn his money and put in a good performance, especially after his capitulation at West Brom.

Pleasantly surprised with yesterday, even Smith must have started well.

He is decent technically but that just isn't enough. He's borderline good enough to be a squad player but this season more often than not hasn't looked too clever. Obviously I'd have him ahead of Smith in the squad.

But that's precisely the reasons (in bold) why Guthrie has been rubbish in too many games. He doesn't run enough, he doesn't want the ball and if he's not up for it will hide from the action. Technically he has the ability to be a much better player than he's show. Mentally he's weak IMO.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Decent attacking, but again was left wanting when asked to do the defensive side of it. Have to admit though, not sure I've seen anyone with better ball control with their face since Andy O'Brien.

Decent attacking, but again was left wanting when asked to do the defensive side of it. Have to admit though, not sure I've seen anyone with better ball control with their face since Andy O'Brien.

Bollocks tbh. He worked back well and put his foot in when needed.

Pass for the goal gets better every time you see it.

Bit random but it was near a carbon copy of his ball for Carroll's second against Scunthorpe last season (though Carroll was running onto that one). Fantastic cross-field pass - he's always been decent with the long ball.

Hope he's overcome whatever (mental/off-the-pitch, i reckon) troubles he had in the first half of the season because he'll be in the side plenty before the season's out.

Guest palnese

He can't run, tackle, pass or shoot, yet he put in a pretty decent performance today.

Total bollocks

I know. I was referring to a post a couple of pages back.