SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8192035.stm

Ashley lines up O'Leary as boss

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is reconsidering his decision to sell the club and may opt to remain at St James' Park, BBC Radio 5 live understands.

It is also believed that Ashley will move to appoint David O'Leary as manager if he remains at the Magpies.

Ashley put the club up for sale in May following their relegation from the Premier League to the Championship.

Local businessmen Barry Moat had emerged as a leading contender to buy the Magpies, who Ashley bought in 2007.

Moat, an executive box holder at St James' Park, has previously invested in the club's academy and also helped to organise former striker and manager Alan Shearer's testimonial.

Ashley paid £134.4m for Newcastle and was reportedly willing to sell for as little as £80m.

It is the second time Ashley has put the Magpies up for sale, having originally taken them off the market in December 2008.

David O'Leary has been out of management since he left his position at Aston Villa in 2006. The former Arsenal and Republic of Ireland defender has also previously managed Leeds United.

Newcastle are currently managed by caretaker boss Chris Hughton after Shearer's temporary role at the club ended following their relegation last season.

Shearer told the BBC on Saturday that he has not ruled out returning once the ownership situation is clarified.

"I'm still in limbo," he said. "I wanted it sorted either way because of my love for the football club. "I'd dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season."

On Wednesday, previous manager Joe Kinnear claimed he had been offered a two-year deal to return as boss by Ashley but rejected the offer as he continues to recover from surgery.

Kinnear, 62, underwent a triple heart bypass operation in February.

Better than nothing? :undecided:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, better then nothing, but too little, too late. This should have been done AT LEAST a week ago, ideally a month ago. Still, it'll beat the Tactically inapt, and scared Chris Hughton.

Guest The Libertine

he's only ever done well with a big transfer budget. he is better than kinnear though.

i'd give him time to prove himself.

On the other hand we could get a manager that hasn't been out of the game for a while..

Assuming this has any legs - that it probably doesn't - how hard can it be for Ashley to negotiate with a contract with a manager from the here and now, not yesteryear?

Wonder if Ashley would give him money to spend, and how much?

He'd probably promise him money then offer him none.

But it wouldn't matter because the new guy would believe our players are absolutely brilliant, like most people who don't see them do.

he's only ever done well with a big transfer budget

At Villa under Ellis? He took them up and back down to where they were with nothing to spend.

SSN man David Craig supposedly had just been told on the phone by Lambias that they are still in talks with 2 interested parties re' selling the club. He wouldn't comment on the O'leary speculation.

Ideally i'd rather they sold up and got out, but we have to be in a position to bring players in if not. We can't just drift on as we are.

Unfortunately Ashley and co will only appoint a "yes" man, rather than Shearer who'd dare to question their farcical running of the club.

Guest The Libertine

he's only ever done well with a big transfer budget

At Villa under Ellis? He took them up and back down to where they were with nothing to spend.

he had a good first 6 months then it was all downhill. spent a fair bit in his last season iirc.