Newcastle United 3 - 0 Reading - 15/08/09 - post match reaction from page 22

JH

Caroll's basically a very poor footballer, in Spain or Italy they'd take one look at him and laugh. In england however he can actually be fairly effective. He'll never ever be the answer though

You mean as in Xisco...!? Carroll has twice the potential Xisco has displayed since he arrived, and is younger -

with the right coaching , esp by the likes of Shearer, he would turn out to be an very good CF.

He's also been given more of a chance than Xisco has too. Something missing from Carroll's game for me, not sure what it is but there's just something not there.

He doesn't get in enough goal scoring positions, and neither does Ameobi. They both had a field day yesterday against a small Reading side, they'll find it a lot harder against Wednesday.

What annoys me most with Shola even though he got a hat-trick yesterday is still his lethargic attitude even when it comes to scoring goals. Several times when we had made a move forward and instead of busting a gut to get into the box he would still just toddle up and just be at the edge of the box not being a danger. At least Carroll puts a shift in.

I don't think either of them are natural strikers, they just don't get in the penalty area enough. Carroll is at least a legit target man and his work in defending set pieces was vital. We need a proper goal scorer in that team though.

Caroll's basically a very poor footballer, in Spain or Italy they'd take one look at him and laugh. In england however he can actually be fairly effective. He'll never ever be the answer though

You mean as in Xisco...!? Carroll has twice the potential Xisco has displayed since he arrived, and is younger -

with the right coaching , esp by the likes of Shearer, he would turn out to be an very good CF.

He's also been given more of a chance than Xisco has too. Something missing from Carroll's game for me, not sure what it is but there's just something not there.

He doesn't get in enough goal scoring positions, and neither does Ameobi. They both had a field day yesterday against a small Reading side, they'll find it a lot harder against Wednesday.

What annoys me most with Shola even though he got a hat-trick yesterday is still his lethargic attitude even when it comes to scoring goals. Several times when we had made a move forward and instead of busting a gut to get into the box he would still just toddle up and just be at the edge of the box not being a danger. At least Carroll puts a shift in.

Aye, but his general play after the first goal yesterday was much better. Actually seemed more mobile: was chasing balls and pressuring defenders. If we can get him regular confidence injections, he might just kick some ass in this division.

If Shola can threaten Sheffield on wednesday then fair play to him. He can't just have a stormer one game then disappear for a month which is what usually happens.

Aye, but his general play after the first goal yesterday was much better. Actually seemed more mobile: was chasing balls and pressuring defenders. If we can get him regular confidence injections, he might just kick some ass in this division.

If Shola can threaten Sheffield on wednesday then fair play to him. He can't just have a stormer one game then disappear for a month which is what usually happens.

If he gets nervy then he'll turn in a total shitter of a performance. I don't think he has the self-belief to just pick himself up and get on with it when things don't go right for him.

If he gets nervy then he'll turn in a total shitter of a performance. I don't think he has the self-belief to just pick himself up and get on with it when things don't go right for him.

Not really surprising considering all our fans pretty much hate him and are on his back constantly

Not really surprising considering all our fans pretty much hate him and are on his back constantly

Not surprising considering he's been picking up big wages for doing fuck all for seven or eight years. Maybe this is a turning point for both parties: Shola and the fans.

Not surprising considering he's been picking up big wages for doing fuck all for seven or eight years. Maybe this is a turning point for both parties: Shola and the fans.

Thats not the point I've heard our fans screaming at him calling him all sorts I've never heard such abuse directed to an opposing player! He is never going to be the best player in the world and is more than likely going to be severely frustrating to watch this season but when you're at the match supporting your team ffs don't slag off your own players. I'm not saying I've never said 'Shola's shite' to a mate or on these forums at some point but I've never given the lad abuse when I'm at the match. I really do hope this is a turning point as far as his relationship with the fans goes but I doubt it.

I don't think either of them are natural strikers, they just don't get in the penalty area enough. Carroll is at least a legit target man and his work in defending set pieces was vital. We need a proper goal scorer in that team though.

Agree with that completely. To utilise Carroll's ability to full effect he needs a pacey lad up top with him who can get on the end of those flick ons and who he can feed off.

Agree with that completely. To utilise Carroll's ability to full effect he needs a pacey lad up top with him who can get on the end of those flick ons and who he can feed off.

Spot on. He's clearly very strong and very good in the air, but a lot of the good work he does goes to waste because there's not a smaller, faster striker buzzing around to feed from his flick-ons and hold-up play. If we manage to bring in a busy, pacey player to play alongside Carroll his target man play will start to look a lot more effective, and Carroll will look better as a result.

Thats not the point I've heard our fans screaming at him calling him all sorts I've never heard such abuse directed to an opposing player! He is never going to be the best player in the world and is more than likely going to be severely frustrating to watch this season but when you're at the match supporting your team ffs don't slag off your own players. I'm not saying I've never said 'Shola's shite' to a mate or on these forums at some point but I've never given the lad abuse when I'm at the match. I really do hope this is a turning point as far as his relationship with the fans goes but I doubt it.

I agree, to an extent, but some of these lads (Shola being a prime example) were backed to the hilt by the fans but turned in half-arsed performances regardless. SJP is not an easy place to play sometimes, but you do yourself a favour by looking interesting and giving it a go: something Shola often fails to do. He should be busting a gut for 90mins, because it's not as if he's Dennis Bergkamp, or even Marc Viduka in that he has lacks the technique or football brain to make a contribution without putting in the effort. It's been a long time coming, but I hope the penny's dropped at last for him.

Decent performance, the defensive frailties are still there but are not as likely to be as punished in this league.

However, by the time the transfer window closes 5 or 6 of those players will not be here so it doesn't tell us anything about

where we are likely to finish this season.

Bit late but my thoughts:

Harper - Not much to do, nearly made a balls up by changing his mind coming out for something then going back, Taylor hacked clear I think.

R Taylor - Much much better, defending and attacking. Great ball for Shola's 2nd.

Enrique - Pretty good, brilliant ball in for the 1st goal, still sometimes indecisive at the back but generally good.

S Taylor - Absolutely crunched somebody with a one footed tackle in a 50-50 on half time, played like a man possessed. Please don't go :(

Coloccini - Error in the 1st minute but otherwise ok, the confidence in him when we went ahead, like the rest of the team, was visible.

Smith - Had a mental 2 minutes, otherwise did his job. Get's deeper and deeper as the games on and was almost a 3rd centre half by the end.

Nolan - Fat mess. Was our worst player but deserves some credit for chasing that ball down in the corner for the 2nd goal. Nearly gifted Reading a goal by being unable to control a football, reminded me of an elephant trying to pick up a pea.

Barton - Did ok, mandatory booking. Probably out for 3 months now though.

Jonas - Usual from him, although he had 2 shots on target!!

Shola - Three goals, happy for him, a bigger miracle is that in the first half he lost the ball but chased back into his own half and slid in on the Reading guy and won it back. Will be shit on Wednesday most probably :lol:

Carroll - I can't understand people saying he doesn't work hard, this boy grafts his nuts off. As already said though, needs some pace up there with him - and I mean a pacey goalscorer (i.e. not Lovenkrands)

Fans - When the players are on the pitch don't sing about Mike fucking Ashley, if you want to sing about that cunt do it at half time or something

Hughton - Xisco and not Ranger was odd, but whatever. Brought on Geremi as a pisstake.

Reading - Either we were awesome or they were terrible

Think I would prefer Nolan to Butt still

I would prefer Butt if we use him sparingly, put in some decent performances last season after he'd had a week's break. Over use him and he starts to turn shit again.

Don't think either of them should start tbh. Nolan's use of the ball isn't too bad really despite the stick I give him, but his movement and general fitness is a disgrace. He looks like a pub player and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he spends most of his time off the pitch.

Thought we built on the West Brom result with a decent victory but we'll see what we're really made of on midweek.

Harper 6 - Not a lot to do, commanding from set pieces, kicking could have been better.

R. Taylor 6 - Solid defensively, delivery into the box was hit and miss.

S. Taylor 7 - Commanding performance against an unsettled attack.

Coloccini 6 - Another decent performance against an attack lacking a physical presence. I still worry about him against the stronger forwards but did alright today.

Enrique 8 - Commanding at the back supported the attack well, a great full back display. If I was going to be picky his delivery was inconsistent at times.

Barton 6 - Got better as the game went on, was sloppy to start with but it became apparent he'll do well in this division when he finally gets himself fit.

Nolan 6 - Better, needs to get himself fit but looked a lot sharper today. His distribution continues to improve and generally looked more of a threat today.

Smith 7 - Did well again the defensive midfield role, needs to learn when to control himself.

Jonas 6 - Always threatening, linked up well with Enrique, but for the love of God does the man know how to cross or shoot.

Carroll 6 - Won most things in the air, battled well, probably unlucky not to get himself a goal.

Shola 9 - Still a cumbersome b****** but at the end of the day he scored three goals, well played lad.

Lua Lua 5 - Quiet when he came on, looked light weight at times.

Xisco 5 - Some classy touches but looked unsurprisingly off the pace.

Geremi - Can't really remember.

I thought Nolan was absolutely anonymous (for us) as usual. Good work for the second goal but otherwise he was probably their biggest threat.

I'm not a fan at all, as I think you know but I actually thought yesterday was his most effective game for us yet tbh.

Effort-wise, he looked committed and he put a bloody good shift in.

I think we're going to have to perservere with him to get the best from him but yesterday wouldn't have done him any harm, playing in such a good atmsphere etc.