Newcastle v Sheff Wed - 19:45 KO 19/08/09 Pre-Match Thread

Fatwax

thank you very much, sir

NP. Doesn't reveal much, but I think it will be our first view of 'proper' Championship football. Certainly will give us a better idea of how teams are in this league and how they'll approach playing at SJP.

thank you very much, sir

NP. Doesn't reveal much, but I think it will be our first view of 'proper' Championship football. Certainly will give us a better idea of how teams are in this league and how they'll approach playing at SJP.

100% agree with that

We should win, hard to expect consistancy with Newcastle though. Feel like Barton might not be playing which wont be good.

Will have to watch for that Tudgay lad as said, looking it up he's assisted two of their 3 goals already.

Ill go for 2-1 to us.

Why are they called Wednesday btw? is there an area called that? were they founded on a wednesday, could it just as easily have been Sheffield Friday?

They are called Wednesday because it used to be the name of the cricket club''The Wednesday Cricket Club'', there isn't an area that's called that( that i know of). The cricketers used to be butchers, who's only half day was a Wednesday, the football team was made to keep the cricketers fit during the winter. That became the ''Wednesday Football Club''. SHOCK HORROR their nickname was also the BLADES. Ta naaaaaaaaaaaa.

So, the answer to your question is yes, if the butchers half day was a Friday, they would have been Sheffield Friday.

Sheff Wed could have brought double the 3 K up but due to our idiotic people in charge who never considered this and sold season tickets in areas right next to the usual away area we willl lose revenue, clowns!

The Gallowgate and East Stand are practically sold out by the looks of things on the Online Ticket Sales. Still a lot of tickets left in the Leazes, aside from the away end. All the singing section's limited. This is before all the tickets sold tomorrow, aswell as the pay on the gate ones. Definitely looking at more than 40,000 imo.

It was pretty much the same on Saturday too.

Just bought 2 tickets in the Leazes middle tier for my mate and I.  £19 a pop.   :thup:

what the fuck?!?! that online ticket system is shite.  The transaction didn't go through apparantly.  Just rang the box office to sort it out, the automated message was "we're experiencing a high volume of calls, try again later" and it went dead.

Absolutely fucking useless.

Went for a pint with my Wednesday supporting mate last night (who is also going to the game with me in the home end tonight) and he said that they were a very physical side until Laws came in, but he has been trying to get them to play a bit more football recently. So it will be interesting to see if they stick to that principle tonight or whether they revert to a more physical style against us. He also said that their keeper Grant is an excellent shot-stopper but very suspect on crosses and commanding his area, and that at one point last season they conceded 10goals in a row from back post headers (!), so hopefully Shola and Carroll can look to take advantage of that. Said their best players are Beevers (centre half), Tudgay (striker) and that their left winger (Johnson I think?) has a lot of pace but not much else, so he could cause us some problems if he's up against Ryan Taylor. Might be worth playing Simpson at RB if he has a bit of pace about him. Oh and he also said that their left back Spurr is highly rated by most but he thinks he's shit!

Anyway, im going for 2-0 to us - Carroll and Nolan

Went for a pint with my Wednesday supporting mate last night (who is also going to the game with me in the home end tonight) and he said that they were a very physical side until Laws came in, but he has been trying to get them to play a bit more football recently. So it will be interesting to see if they stick to that principle tonight or whether they revert to a more physical style against us. He also said that their keeper Grant is an excellent shot-stopper but very suspect on crosses and commanding his area, and that at one point last season they conceded 10goals in a row from back post headers (!), so hopefully Shola and Carroll can look to take advantage of that. Said their best players are Beevers (centre half), Tudgay (striker) and that their left winger (Johnson I think?) has a lot of pace but not much else, so he could cause us some problems if he's up against Ryan Taylor. Might be worth playing Simpson at RB if he has a bit of pace about him. Oh and he also said that their left back Spurr is highly rated by most but he thinks he's shit!

I thought that Esajas was the LW and Johnson the RW...

If they are confused about their style of play that should work in our favour. Sounds like Laws is doing a Sammy Lee (at Bolton) so it's probably a good time to  play them.

Went for a pint with my Wednesday supporting mate last night (who is also going to the game with me in the home end tonight) and he said that they were a very physical side until Laws came in, but he has been trying to get them to play a bit more football recently. So it will be interesting to see if they stick to that principle tonight or whether they revert to a more physical style against us. He also said that their keeper Grant is an excellent shot-stopper but very suspect on crosses and commanding his area, and that at one point last season they conceded 10goals in a row from back post headers (!), so hopefully Shola and Carroll can look to take advantage of that. Said their best players are Beevers (centre half), Tudgay (striker) and that their left winger (Johnson I think?) has a lot of pace but not much else, so he could cause us some problems if he's up against Ryan Taylor. Might be worth playing Simpson at RB if he has a bit of pace about him. Oh and he also said that their left back Spurr is highly rated by most but he thinks he's s***!

I thought that Esajas was the LW and Johnson the RW...

Yeah I think he said Johnson plays on either wing, but he is the one with pace. Don't know anything about Esajas, just going off what my mate told me last night

I hope Wednesday give us a bit of a game to be honest.

Saturday was a bit embarrassing. It'll cause complacency if every game becomes too easy.

I hope we rape them prison style.

I'm sick to death of tight games and then losing to an explayer goal.

I want to see some thrashings handed out.