Barnes attacks culture of racism that has slammed door on a 'lost generation'

NG32

Guest palnese

More Black managers will come through over the next decade. Unfortunately Barnes and Ince aren't really much good.

This

What's Hughton's background? I'd never thought of him as a black man before this thread.

I guess he is mixed race.

I'd guess that. It's always interested me that someone with one black parent and one white parent so frequently gets called black. Why not call them white? If anything their skin's usually a light brown. Maybe I should head over to the stupid questions thread.

It's a complex issue. I don't think of a mixed race person as black, I just think of them as mixed race.

But then there are a million different shades of 'black' and 'white' anyway. Best just to think of them as the people they are I reckon, identity is a complicated thing. [/philosophy]

To take it to extremes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Where does Phil Brown fit on that, or is there another rule for him entirely.

I think that's a case of one too many drops of Sunny Delight...

The lack of black managers is probably self fulfilling, black players don't see many black managers, they're not expected to go into coaching etc so they don't.

Players, managers, coaches - are all picked for their ability, it has nothing to do with being black or white or whatever.

People like John Barnes just throw their toys out the pram and blame racism just because he refuses to admit he's a s*** manager.

"There are no black managers in the Premier League! OMG! WTF?!!" - I somehow don't think it has anything to do with skin colour, it just so happens that alot of the best managers around atm are white. Built on pure coincidence.

Again, you've missed the point. There are almost no black managers at any level of the game. Nothing to do with PL.

But where's the evidence that it's linked to racism?

It could be a number of factors. Lack of ability, lack of ambition to become manager or coach etc. - the colour of their skin is irrelevant.

Race still influences decisions about people in pretty much all areas of life. A lot of people seem to find it hard to accept that racism still actively exists in Britain.

I work for a Local Authority, which are painted as the bastions of 'PC' by the tabloid press. But, I have seen clearly racist views aired and decisions made by councillors (from all the major parties).

Just recently, in a committee meeting deciding a planning application for the change of use of a shop to a restaurant a councillor actually said 'we need more restaurants in the area, but not Asian ones' and the application, which there was nowt wrong with, was refused.  I've seen perfectly acceptable house extensions called in to committee and refused clearly because the applicant was an Asian who had strayed into a predominantly white area and numerous other dodgy decisions where the applicants happened to have the wrong skin colour in the wrong area.

If democratically accountable politicians from all sides of the political spectrum are making clearly racist decisions; I don't find it hard to believe that the same is going on at some level within football clubs. (Although, not in the case of Barnes; he's been given lots of opportunities and is clearly just a bad manager)

Players, managers, coaches - are all picked for their ability, it has nothing to do with being black or white or whatever.

People like John Barnes just throw their toys out the pram and blame racism just because he refuses to admit he's a s*** manager.

"There are no black managers in the Premier League! OMG! WTF?!!" - I somehow don't think it has anything to do with skin colour, it just so happens that alot of the best managers around atm are white. Built on pure coincidence.

Again, you've missed the point. There are almost no black managers at any level of the game. Nothing to do with PL.

But where's the evidence that it's linked to racism?

It could be a number of factors. Lack of ability, lack of ambition to become manager or coach etc. - the colour of their skin is irrelevant.

Race still influences decisions about people in pretty much all areas of life. A lot of people seem to find it hard to accept that racism still actively exists in Britain.

I work for a Local Authority, which are painted as the bastions of 'PC' by the tabloid press. But, I have seen clearly racist views aired and decisions made by councillors (from all the major parties).

Just recently, in a committee meeting deciding a planning application for the change of use of a shop to a restaurant a councillor actually said 'we need more restaurants in the area, but not Asian ones' and the application, which there was nowt wrong with, was refused.  I've seen perfectly acceptable house extensions called in to committee and refused clearly because the applicant was an Asian who had strayed into a predominantly white area and numerous other dodgy decisions where the applicants happened to have the wrong skin colour in the wrong area.

If democratically accountable politicians from all sides of the political spectrum are making clearly racist decisions; I don't find it hard to believe that the same is going on at some level within football clubs. (Although, not in the case of Barnes; he's been given lots of opportunities and is clearly just a bad manager)

Cracking post that mate

Jesus...more self-righteous self-important Guardianista rantings.

See racism and bigotry everywhere.

Fact of the matter is, John Barnes has been a disaster everywhere he's managed.

Mystifying, as he's an intelligent bloke. But intelligence does NOT make a good manager.

Was hugely impressed when he played out of position for us and did well.

Always believed "This lad will be a good manager. Determination, Intelligent,a THINKER"

Paul Ince did well in the league basement, but wasn't up to the big seat.

Always thought Brendan Batson would make a good manager

But then I thought Barnes would be too. So I have thought, and been proved wrong about many.

The first I ever think about colour coming into it is when some pillock gets on his ***** pedestal and starts lecturing, like here.

Another interesting point is whenever an African side gets to a World Cup, their manager always seems to be a pasty white guy with a tache and blonde hair.

That's called colonial mentality. It's still prevalent in africa, especially in those 40+...i.e. football administrators.

Brazil, one of the most multicultural nations on earth, has not got(or ever had, as far as I know) a black manager - you can bet your life that had a black guy like Pele proved to be a top class manager, they would have appointed him.

Barnes' rant is yet more reverse-racist blackmail. As people have said, Ince had a go and fluffed it ; doesn't mean ALL black players will be bad managers but I don't believe Barnes has a case.

Time all this tripe was treated with the contempt it deserves TBH.

You're point about Brazil is not valid, imo. This is a country which has the largest black population outside of Africa. That whole black blood contaminaing white blodd concept is in full effect, and I thinl you'll see that the country has never had a black president and has a shocking amount of black politicans. It's where the US was 50 or 60 years ago. Blacks are a very large part of society and culture, but they hold a very tiny amount of power.

Something that's worth noting is that most chairmen, who generally appoint managers, are old. At the risk of banging in a sweeping generalisation, old people are racist. My granny is fucking class, but it would be generous to call her casually racist. I think that this might be some sort of factor.

At the risk of banging in a sweeping generalisation, old people are racist.

It is a sweeping generalisation, but one that's probably true. You honestly wouldn't believe some of the not just racist, but also historically innaccurate comments that my grandad made about a family of indian people moving in next door (for someone who spends all his life talking about the frigging war and "back in my day").

More Black managers will come through over the next decade. Unfortunately Barnes and Ince aren't really much good.

This

How can you know that for sure?  Could you really see Rio Ferdinand managing a team?  Or how about El Hadj Diouf?

:lol:

now diouf i would love to see!!

John Barnes, the footballer who braved the torrent of abuse which epitomised Britain's racial intolerance of black players in the 1980s, has declared that a generation of black managers is being lost to the sport because of a belief that they lack the intellectual ability of their white counterparts.

"Until we are considered to be intellectually equal, we will never be equal," Barnes said. "In the 1970s you didn't have black goalkeepers or centre-halves – or not many. If you were a black player you had to play on the wing where you're fast and didn't have to think too much. These are all the misconceptions people had.

----

Do people still think this? He's the one reminding people that used to, or putting the question in people's minds by doing this.

John Barnes, the footballer who braved the torrent of abuse which epitomised Britain's racial intolerance of black players in the 1980s, has declared that a generation of black managers is being lost to the sport because of a belief that they lack the intellectual ability of their white counterparts.

"Until we are considered to be intellectually equal, we will never be equal," Barnes said. "In the 1970s you didn't have black goalkeepers or centre-halves – or not many. If you were a black player you had to play on the wing where you're fast and didn't have to think too much. These are all the misconceptions people had.

----

Do people still think this? He's the one reminding people that used to, or putting the question in people's minds by doing this.

He's just a bitter cunt.

Still haven't seen anywhere where he complains at getting a lack of opportunities himself. Don't think I buy this 'not accepting it's just that he's crap' line. He knows he's been given chances and as such is in a position to complain that other black men aren't getting that opportunity.

He's just a bitter c***.

Must admit, I thought such an intelligent, erudite bloke would be a good manager.

He isn't, simple as.

It sometimes works that way.

A great footballer does not - actually rarely does - make a great manager.

Guest toonlass

----

He's just a bitter cunt.

:sadnod: