Eight points better off...

Optimistic Nut

Probably because last time it was the sense of us going places we'd not been before in ages, this is just putting the wrongs of last season right.

Also because under Keegan we played scintilating football and wholloped teams all over the place. Now we grind out results with hard-earned victories.

It's just not quite as entertaining as seeing nine outfield players surging forward, leaving poor Kevin Scott on his own at the back shitting himself in case the opposition counter.

Probably because last time it was the sense of us going places we'd not been before in ages, this is just putting the wrongs of last season right.

Also because under Keegan we played scintilating football and wholloped teams all over the place. Now we grind out results with hard-earned victories.

It's just not quite as entertaining as seeing nine outfield players surging forward, leaving poor Kevin Scott on his own at the back shitting himself in case the opposition counter.

Some of the home matches since the Derby game have been excellent this season. Different story away.

Some of the home matches since the Derby game have been excellent this season. Different story away.

Yeah, I was mainly talking away games and pre-Routledge. Now we've got a winger on each wing we look a lot more threatening, especially at home.

I think another factor in that though, is that that side was fresh, and opposition players and fans didn't view us as their Cup final like they do now, so we could batter them at will.

We were still the biggest team in the league back then so I don't think it was too different.

P 38....W 23....D 11....L 4....F 72....A 28....Pts 80

1992-3 season.

P 38....W 22....D 9....L 7....F 68....A 34....Pts 75

Damn thats a Premiership season played already.

I'd take that in the Premier League next season. Or even just over half of it.

quite strange to think we are surpassing that 92/93 season.

i have such happy memories of that year.

guess, as mentioned, this season is righting next seasons wrongs wheras 92/93 was largely unexpected.

out of interest, how does cole's record in that season compare to carrolls?

P 38....W 23....D 11....L 4....F 72....A 28....Pts 80

1992-3 season.

P 38....W 22....D 9....L 7....F 68....A 34....Pts 75

Damn thats a Premiership season played already.

I'd take that in the Premier League next season. Or even just over half of it.

How shit's next season going to be? Some people haven't been happy this year with 80 points and winning nearly 2 in 3 games, imagine what it's going to be like again next year then when we're scratching around with about 30 points this time next year? :lol:

The difference was that at the end of last season the Championship was seen as Armageddon, unthinkable, horrific, something that would make us sink without trace. Part of the fear of relegation was fear of the unknown.

The reality is that it has been an enjoyable season, get to visit some "proper" football grounds, away from the overhyped overpaid Premier League. Maybe next year the fact that it isn't the end of the world will stop the fear seeping from the terraces and getting to the players. Maybe not. Maybe we will be calling for Hughton's head at the end of the transfer window because we've only taken 10 points from 8 games or something (which is survival form incidentally).

Looking at last seasons Championship table, Wolves won on 90 points. That'd be 3 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses for the rest of the season.

It's more than likely that both NUFC and West Brom reach 90+ points. Nottingham Forest will be knocking on the 90 pt door too. Brum came 2nd with 83 points.

As dominating as I feel we've been this year, if we had been involved last year, I reckon we would have been even more stand-out.

Looking at last seasons Championship table, Wolves won on 90 points. That'd be 3 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses for the rest of the season.

It's more than likely that both NUFC and West Brom reach 90+ points. Nottingham Forest will be knocking on the 90 pt door too. Brum came 2nd with 83 points.

As dominating as I feel we've been this year, if we had been involved last year, I reckon we would have been even more stand-out.

I think going back to 92/93 the average points to take you up (in second place) is 86 points. I don't think that it is going to be too different this year (i.e. 3rd place gets 85 or less).

the record holders going up are clubs like the Rabble and Reading - performance in the CL is no guide at all to the next year in the PL.............

Agree with this, although I think the teams who grind out the results on the way to being promoted tend to do better than the teams who play more attractive football on the way up like West Brom, maybe because surviving in the Premier League in the first season up involves defending well and grinding out results. Newly promoted teams are not going to be able to "out-football" a lot of premier league teams in the first season.

• 2 weeks later...