Chris Hughton

Keefaz

You have to blame the idiots in charge now, the likes of Shepherd and Ashley wrongly selling best players/enlisting has-beens and the wasted spending and lack of stability for the situation. Hughton has kept us top despite the turmoil and should be commended even if it is indeed a shite league

You have to blame the idiots in charge now, the likes of Shepherd and Ashley wrongly selling best players/enlisting has-beens and the wasted spending and lack of stability for the situation. Hughton has kept us top despite the turmoil and should be commended even if it is indeed a s**** league

I agree, all I would disagree with is that our best players have left. Of the players we've sold (since relegation at least) the majority were a waste of space.

You have to blame the idiots in charge now, the likes of Shepherd and Ashley wrongly selling best players/enlisting has-beens and the wasted spending and lack of stability for the situation. Hughton has kept us top despite the turmoil and should be commended even if it is indeed a s**** league

I agree, all I would disagree with is that our best players have left. Of the players we've sold (since relegation at least) the majority were a waste of space.

Our two best defenders and our three best strikers? They weren't all value for money but they were the best we had. Duff would start as things stand too.

Our two best defenders and our three best strikers? They weren't all value for money but they were the best we had. Duff would start as things stand too.

I'd sooner have kept James Milner than have had Geremi as only one of a few options in midfield. We only currently really have one creative midfielder and he blows hot and cold....and if you go by what people say on here about him the iceman has cometh, but thats a different thread entirely

Will be given the permanent job this week according to the people (Oliver)

Oh FFS hope this is not true, but more than likely. When are people going to realise that he's doing no more than a solid job, with the squad we have, we should be top of this league. He's not the future for this football club and appointing him on a permenant basis also means his future on the coaching staff is in jeapordy, because when he fails and he will if and when we come up against more than mediocre opposition, he'll be sacked. Like Roeder before him, we'll miss him as coach more than we'll benefit from him as another short term manager.

I argued vehemently against Roeders appointment, but I think I would be fairly open to Hughton getting a pop at it; for a start the man talks a damn sight more sense, has pulled the squad together, and seems to pick the right team/subs more often than not which is half the battle.

Put it this way, in the absence of any alternatives (you won't see Shearer again until the club's sold and there is sod all out there that jumps out at me or would find us a draw at this point), it's pretty disrespectful to the guy to keep him as a caretaker on presumably caretakers wages for very much longer.

He is doing a managers job so unless regime change is really 'just around the corner', change his title accordingly.

I'm against him being made the manager full time in any regard. But the point I'm making here is that we'll lose him as a coach if he's made permenant. He will be sacked pretty quickly if not this season (for not getting us promoted) then next in the premiership. I'd rather hang on to him in that capacity, as Roeder was excellent with the youngsters and we've missed that, Hughton's proved to be a pretty adept coach.

We will lose him as a coach anyway in all likelyhood, whether that be due to any new manager wanting his own staff, or simply due to the inherrent difficulty in moving back into the shadows after feeling he has enough to cut it in his current role.

Dont get me wrong, I'm in no rush to see his title reflect the work he is doing and I hope Hughton feels the same, but with no top class manager on the horizon, there is a limit to how long anyone can be called a caretaker respectfully.

You people can say all you want about Owen, Martins, Beye, Bassong, and Duff but they were alot better than the players playing their positions for us at the moment. Don't be fooled by a month or two of good results in the Championship. Those were our best players, and the current starting lineup would be Watford-esque in the Premiership.

edit:I'd be fine with Hughton being given a contract to the end of the season as manager. It is unlikely that the situation will change, and therefore no top manager will be interested. However, if the club is sold, he will only have a one-year contract and could be easily bought out by the new regime.

You people can say all you want about Owen, Martins, Beye, Bassong, and Duff but they were alot better than the players playing their positions for us at the moment. Don't be fooled by a month or two of good results in the Championship. Those were our best players, and the current starting lineup would be Watford-esque in the Premiership.

Beye and Bassong I agree, but the others I don't really think we miss.

I think Beye and Bassong are both fantastic, but we have replaced them in a much better way than we have the likes of Martins, Owen, Viduka, and Duff. I'm quite happy with our backline, but I fear our impotence upfront and on the wings could cost us this season. If we had any of those four right now, I would be able to breathe easier.

And...?

Those that have left all pushed for moves to varying degrees, and I don't shed a tear for any of them. I was pleasently surprised by quite how many good player we actually managed to keep in the Championship, and the money they brought in helped us achieve that, as well as allowing us to get some pretty shrewed signings in.

I think Beye and Bassong are both fantastic, but we have replaced them in a much better way than we have the likes of Martins, Owen, Viduka, and Duff. I'm quite happy with our backline, but I fear our impotence upfront and on the wings could cost us this season. If we had any of those four right now, I would be able to breathe easier.

We've still got the best striking options in the Championship though.  Name a better one.

We've still got the best striking options in the Championship though.  Name a better one.

I think Boro, West Brom, and Cardiff are all equally as good (or better) as us upfront and on the wings. The thing is, we are not trying to finish midtable. The only success would be for us to finish in the top two. (obviously the playoff as well, but I am referring to the first 46 matches). Anything else does not accomplish the goal. Essentially we are in a title race, and I think we are inferior to our rivals in some areas due to the players that have left.

I think Boro, West Brom, and Cardiff are all equally as good (or better) as us upfront and on the wings. The thing is, we are not trying to finish midtable. The only success would be for us to finish in the top two. (obviously the playoff as well, but I am referring to the first 46 matches). Anything else does not accomplish the goal. Essentially we are in a title race, and I think we are inferior to our rivals in some areas due to the players that have left.

Difference is these teams have payers who can last 90 minutes without breaking a sweat. With the likes of Geremi, Butt, Nolan and as regular features I don't think we are as strong as some people like to think in relation to our promotion rivals

:lol:

You don't think that Owen, Martins, Viduka and Duff are missed in this division? They weren't worth what we were paying them, without a doubt, but they'd absolutely piss it in this league. Shola's our best striker now, compare how he looked in the prem to how Owen, Oba and Dukes did.

The last game was the only game we havent scored in this season, i think we're better than you imagine. Our goals for are pretty much the same as theirs, bar one or two matches where west brom & cardiff have thrashed the opposition. Its not consistant atall though.

I think people are overeacting to our last couple games. We're still the best side in this division, we'll underperform every now and again sure. But the likes of Guthrie/Jonas arent going to spend the entire season in bad form, if those two pick up alone...with Harewood upfront & our other attacking options upfront we'll score goals as easily as anyone else.

Guest Geordiekev

You don't think that Owen, Martins, Viduka and Duff are missed in this division? They weren't worth what we were paying them, without a doubt, but they'd absolutely piss it in this league. Shola's our best striker now, compare how he looked in the prem to how Owen, Oba and Dukes did.

Your shitting me right?? For a start non of the above would have turned up for work in the championship!! they all thought they were too big for the drop and prove to us they were, all but one is playing in the prem or Europe this season, WHY? Because they simply did not give a shit about our club and prove this as they were all present as we were being buttfucked out of the premiere league and not one of them bothered to even look remotely interested..

I'd sooner have the group of players we have now then those above anyday of the week, It's pointless thinking what could have been because they had their chance and shafted us, time to look to the future and get with the programme..

Is there any point in giving him the permanent job if we're not convinced he's the man to both take us up and keep us up?

I'm convinced enough of the former so far but not at all convinced of the latter. He's done a good job in difficult circumstances with the best first team in the league. His job will become more difficult as time wears on and as the weakness of our squad is tested by injury. We've only won 2 of the last 5 games, three of which were at home, which already suggests our squad can not handle more than a couple of injuries anywhere on the pitch. The worry is also that teams will begin to figure us out, because we have a very limited group of players whose strengths and weaknesses are well documented. That's not a knee-jerk reaction after dropping points, it was the concern of every Newcastle fan when the transfer deadline passed and we were left with a lopsided wafer thin squad.

Hughton's made a good start but that's all he's done. If you go giving him the job prematurely as reward for "a good quarter of a season" it's even worse than hiring Roeder after "a good 15 games". People say giving Shearer the job is sentimental but surely the same could be said about Hughton. He's only taken charge of a few more games than Shearer has. Keep things as they are for now and play it by ear.

If we go up and Ashley sells there will be a lot more interest in the job. I'd rather we kept our options open and could offer to keep him on to assist the new guy rather than end up sacking him because we threw him a 2-year deal on the back of a handful of games.

Your shitting me right?? For a start non of the above would have turned up for work in the championship!! they all thought they were too big for the drop and prove to us they were, all but one is playing in the prem or Europe this season, WHY? Because they simply did not give a shit about our club and prove this as they were all present as we were being buttfucked out of the premiere league and not one of them bothered to even look remotely interested..

I'd sooner have the group of players we have now then those above anyday of the week, It's pointless thinking what could have been because they had their chance and shafted us, time to look to the future and get with the programme..

No denying they're cunts and paid too much but they're also a fucking lot better at football than those we've got left. We were never going to keep them but to say they're not missed in the team is mental. If Shola got 4 in 4 then Owen, much as I despise the little cunt, would have approximately a million goals by now.

Not sure, I've never seen us turn in such gutless and embarrassing performances as we did when we had all of those 'better' players.

Aye, if they had suddenly decided to perform we would be destroying teams, but what reason have we to think that would happen?

Not sure, I've never seen us turn in such gutless and embarrassing performances as we did when we had all of those 'better' players.

Aye, if they had suddenly decided to perform we would be destroying teams, but what reason have we to think that would happen?

I tend to agree. Carroll, Shola and Ranger might not have scored too many goals this season but they have generally given the opposition a good battering and we've scored a lot of goals indirectly through their physical power and hard work. I'm not sure Owen, Viduka and Martins wouldn't just have disappeared up their own arses like Loenkrands has done so far this season. This might be a poor league but you still need commitment and hard work to win games.

The fact theyd be playing far weaker opposition. Same reason its allowed all our other players to suddenly decide to perform

I think when you see players coming out and going on with the "oh we're so much more together now, so much more determined..so much team spirit" etc its largely nonsense half the time.

Reality is, theyre pissing on teams as theyre easier to beat so theyre staying confident and thats it. If they were continually going behind after a bumbling mistakes every single game like last year, you'd likely see that "togetherness & team spirit" dissapear quite quickly. Results have a far bigger effect on morale and self belief than anything the coaches/manager/whoever else can give them & theyre getting better results. Thats about it.