Chris Hughton

Keefaz

Guest sicko2ndbest

Todays result is the worst thing that could have happened in the grand scheme of things. Pleased with the win but dissappointed with the consequences

Guest sicko2ndbest

ABSOLUTE LEGEND!

Give a ten-year contract tbh.

so short sighted. I know it's Tongue in cheek but I don't think you grasp the severity of the stuation should he get the job

ABSOLUTE LEGEND!

Give a ten-year contract tbh.

so short sighted. I know it's Tongue in cheek but I don't think you grasp the severity of the stuation should he get the job

He was never not going to the get the job. Do you really believe that defeat today would have changed Ashley's mind? The no win in four beforehand didn't.

What I've been trying to get across over the last few weeks is, I'm not against protesting and I'm not for Hughton as manager, but there really is nothing we can do until someone buys Ashley out. We just have to grin and bare it.

He is very poor when he needs to be good, i.e. now when 3 of our best players are out. He needs to get the side motivated and up for it every time we play and he isnt. However, when Shola, Colo and Taylor come back the quality on the pitch should see us win games and hopefully go up at the end of the season. If we ever get taken over, we need a new manager ASAP.

He is very poor when he needs to be good, i.e. now when 3 of our best players are out. He needs to get the side motivated and up for it every time we play and he isnt. However, when Shola, Colo and Taylor come back the quality on the pitch should see us win games and hopefully go up at the end of the season. If we ever get taken over, we need a new manager ASAP.

Goes without saying :thup:

Nolans interview on the official site has him saying Hughton told them to get the ball down and impose their game more, so not sure what tactics you can argue with.

I dont think much blame can be put at Hughton really, hes trying different things & has been willing to change. Our results havent really been his fault imo. More a combination of bad luck and players underperforming, guthrie was shocking a few games ago after missing the pen & has brightened up again now for instance.

Thing is, as limited as Hughton is, where can we turn if we get rid of him? Noone will work under Mike Ashley, noone with any credibility anyway. It'd be a sideways and possibly backwards step to replace him with another nobody.

While Ashley is here we are f*cked. I still don't believe giving him the title of manager is a smart move at all. People say it gives more stability but it doesn't. We all know the club will be in limbo til Ashley's gone, we all know there'll be no transfers coming in and it just makes the end of season more complicated, whether we go up or stay down. Making him manager doesn't fool anyone - he's not a permanent appointment and the players know it.

We are caught between a rock and a hard place but sometimes it is better the devil you know. Things are bad but they could still get a lot worse.

Nolans interview on the official site has him saying Hughton told them to get the ball down and impose their game more, so not sure what tactics you can argue with.

It took four and a half games for him to say that to them? Tactical genius tbh. I mean we only saw it all the way back against QPR

I don't like Hughton as a manager because I think he picks on reputation and not on form, I like him as a person and hope that he can develop as a manager.  I think the senior players probably have too much say when it comes to picking the team and because of it we're unbalanced as a team and suffer because of it.

Nolan has said that Hughton tells the players to keep the ball on the ground, if that is the case why does he allow them to keep humping it?  If he doesn't want that then why does he not drop the players who are guilty of that?  Why does he not set out a balanced team which would create more space to allow the humpers to find a player in space?

We have players who are playing the long ball and we have players who try to bring the ball out of defence, Kadar tried to play the ball but more often than not had nobody to aim at.

Hughton isn't the best when it comes to making changes but he got it right yesterday, he still got it wrong with his team selection and our first half was too predictable for so many, it wasn't for him.  This to me is another sign of senior players having too much say and is a sign of somebody who has worked closely with the players and is now struggling to distance himself from them and if he's going to be a manager then he's got to show the players that he's boss.

He comes across as a nice bloke and that seems to be his biggest failing, he's got to grow balls and manage the players if he's going to do well.  It’s up to him to make the jump from being a coach, I’m not sure that he’s got what it takes, we’ll know better in a week or two as he has some big decisions to make and I don’t think he’s capable of making them.  If he reacts to outside pressure then the players will sense that and he’ll lose the dressing room, he can’t let players get the better of him and he needs to do something while he’s in a position of strength.

Hughton needs to motivate the players and I can see him failing if he lets things go on as they currently are.  Players are like everybody else and are usually motivated by one of two things.  Usually motivation comes from wanting to do well because you want to be a success and gain the rewards, or, you’re worried about failing because failure brings shit.

The kids will be motivated by the possibility of playing 1st team football but they’ll lose that if players keep coming into the team on reputation alone.  The local lads will want to get us back into the Premiership and will be motivated by pride.  Players like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan are probably embarrassed to play in the Championship and will be motivated by wanting to get out of the league.  Motivation will suffer if players think that others are not pulling their weight as they’ll think that they have to carry the dross.  Nothing de-motivates more than people thinking that others are getting special treatment and I can see how some of our players could feel that way.

In short, Hughton needs to balance the starting 11 and play the players who are performing, if he does that then we could walk this division and he could become a manager.

It took four and a half games for him to say that to them? Tactical genius tbh. I mean we only saw it all the way back against QPR

What got me was Nolan calling him Chris not Gaffer or the boss or any kind of hint that he was talking about the manager.

I don't like Hughton as a manager because I think he picks on reputation and not on form, I like him as a person and hope that he can develop as a manager.  I think the senior players probably have too much say when it comes to picking the team and because of it we're unbalanced as a team and suffer because of it.

Nolan has said that Hughton tells the players to keep the ball on the ground, if that is the case why does he allow them to keep humping it?  If he doesn't want that then why does he not drop the players who are guilty of that?  Why does he not set out a balanced team which would create more space to allow the humpers to find a player in space?

We have players who are playing the long ball and we have players who try to bring the ball out of defence, Kadar tried to play the ball but more often than not had nobody to aim at.

Hughton isn't the best when it comes to making changes but he got it right yesterday, he still got it wrong with his team selection and our first half was too predictable for so many, it wasn't for him.  This to me is another sign of senior players having too much say and is a sign of somebody who has worked closely with the players and is now struggling to distance himself from them and if he's going to be a manager then he's got to show the players that he's boss.

He comes across as a nice bloke and that seems to be his biggest failing, he's got to grow balls and manage the players if he's going to do well.  It’s up to him to make the jump from being a coach, I’m not sure that he’s got what it takes, we’ll know better in a week or two as he has some big decisions to make and I don’t think he’s capable of making them.  If he reacts to outside pressure then the players will sense that and he’ll lose the dressing room, he can’t let players get the better of him and he needs to do something while he’s in a position of strength.

Hughton needs to motivate the players and I can see him failing if he lets things go on as they currently are.  Players are like everybody else and are usually motivated by one of two things.  Usually motivation comes from wanting to do well because you want to be a success and gain the rewards, or, you’re worried about failing because failure brings s***.

The kids will be motivated by the possibility of playing 1st team football but they’ll lose that if players keep coming into the team on reputation alone.  The local lads will want to get us back into the Premiership and will be motivated by pride.  Players like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan are probably embarrassed to play in the Championship and will be motivated by wanting to get out of the league.  Motivation will suffer if players think that others are not pulling their weight as they’ll think that they have to carry the dross.  Nothing de-motivates more than people thinking that others are getting special treatment and I can see how some of our players could feel that way.

In short, Hughton needs to balance the starting 11 and play the players who are performing, if he does that then we could walk this division and he could become a manager.

Good post.  But I would add that in his short time in charge this season Hughton has show some evidence of being able to keep senior players out of the side.  I think he might just be the first manager since Souness to drop Nicky Butt, which is a major accomplishment. 

Good post.  But I would add that in his short time in charge this season Hughton has show some evidence of being able to keep senior players out of the side.  I think he might just be the first manager since Souness to drop Nicky Butt, which is a major accomplishment. 

Butt has been injured quite a bit and that is probably why he hasn't played as often as he might have.  His first game back from injury was Palace away when he came on after an hour and he started against Huddersfield which was his second game back from injury.

He was injured for the Leicester game and came back for the next game when he again came off the bench.  He started the next game against Blackpool when we lost before going back to the bench then started the next two games against Ipswich and QPR before going back to the bench again. 

When fit, Nicky Butt plays more often than not.  It will be interesting to see what happens when we have Smith back, Guthrie might be the odd one out although I don't see how he could fit both Smith and Butt into the same team.

He comes across as a nice bloke and that seems to be his biggest failing, he's got to grow balls and manage the players if he's going to do well.  Its up to him to make the jump from being a coach, Im not sure that hes got what it takes, well know better in a week or two as he has some big decisions to make and I dont think hes capable of making them.  If he reacts to outside pressure then the players will sense that and hell lose the dressing room, he cant let players get the better of him and he needs to do something while hes in a position of strength.

Hughton needs to motivate the players and I can see him failing if he lets things go on as they currently are.  Players are like everybody else and are usually motivated by one of two things.  Usually motivation comes from wanting to do well because you want to be a success and gain the rewards, or, youre worried about failing because failure brings s***.

The kids will be motivated by the possibility of playing 1st team football but theyll lose that if players keep coming into the team on reputation alone.  The local lads will want to get us back into the Premiership and will be motivated by pride.  Players like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan are probably embarrassed to play in the Championship and will be motivated by wanting to get out of the league.  Motivation will suffer if players think that others are not pulling their weight as theyll think that they have to carry the dross.  Nothing de-motivates more than people thinking that others are getting special treatment and I can see how some of our players could feel that way.

:thup:

So far, we've gotten by through individuals being motivated through personal reasons (like you say, wanting to play, embarassed to play in the league etc) but as the previous four games have shown, when the players are on the floor, Hughton doesn't have the skills to build them back up.

All we can hope is that this late victory spurs them and gives them the confidence to pick up the required points leading to Christmas, and hope we don't hit another icy patch.

In the meantime, signing this contract means that Hughton needs to commit to building himself and giving himself the balls to actually manage this team.

Like Glenn Roeder learnt quite fast, there's a hell of a difference between caretaker and full-time manager. He'll soon learn he has to put the boot in and start making decisions.

Butt has been injured quite a bit and that is probably why he hasn't played as often as he might have.  His first game back from injury was Palace away when he came on after an hour and he started against Huddersfield which was his second game back from injury.

He was injured for the Leicester game and came back for the next game when he again came off the bench.  He started the next game against Blackpool when we lost before going back to the bench then started the next two games against Ipswich and QPR before going back to the bench again. 

When fit, Nicky Butt plays more often than not.  It will be interesting to see what happens when we have Smith back, Guthrie might be the odd one out although I don't see how he could fit both Smith and Butt into the same team.

I hope that Smith comes in for Butt and I also think that it will happen. But The last time Smith and Butt played together was away vs Ipswich with us winning 4:0.

I hope that Smith comes in for Butt and I also think that it will happen. But The last time Smith and Butt played together was away vs Ipswich with us winning 4:0.

I could have sworn Butt and Smith played together against QPR at home when we drew 1-1 and started off on our run of poor results.

I could have sworn Butt and Smith played together against QPR at home when we drew 1-1 and started off on our run of poor results.

Aye you're right there. Just checked it and Butt and Smith both were in the starting line up this day. One reason more to put Butt back on the bench for the next match.