Chris Hughton

Keefaz

Guest toonlass

Still wondering why a coach is being offered a managers job. There is no need to change Chris Hughton's position at the moment. Leave him in the caretaker role.

I don't like Hughton as a manager because I think he picks on reputation and not on form, I like him as a person and hope that he can develop as a manager.  I think the senior players probably have too much say when it comes to picking the team and because of it we're unbalanced as a team and suffer because of it.

Nolan has said that Hughton tells the players to keep the ball on the ground, if that is the case why does he allow them to keep humping it?  If he doesn't want that then why does he not drop the players who are guilty of that?  Why does he not set out a balanced team which would create more space to allow the humpers to find a player in space?

We have players who are playing the long ball and we have players who try to bring the ball out of defence, Kadar tried to play the ball but more often than not had nobody to aim at.

Hughton isn't the best when it comes to making changes but he got it right yesterday, he still got it wrong with his team selection and our first half was too predictable for so many, it wasn't for him.  This to me is another sign of senior players having too much say and is a sign of somebody who has worked closely with the players and is now struggling to distance himself from them and if he's going to be a manager then he's got to show the players that he's boss.

He comes across as a nice bloke and that seems to be his biggest failing, he's got to grow balls and manage the players if he's going to do well.  It’s up to him to make the jump from being a coach, I’m not sure that he’s got what it takes, we’ll know better in a week or two as he has some big decisions to make and I don’t think he’s capable of making them.  If he reacts to outside pressure then the players will sense that and he’ll lose the dressing room, he can’t let players get the better of him and he needs to do something while he’s in a position of strength.

Hughton needs to motivate the players and I can see him failing if he lets things go on as they currently are.  Players are like everybody else and are usually motivated by one of two things.  Usually motivation comes from wanting to do well because you want to be a success and gain the rewards, or, you’re worried about failing because failure brings shit.

The kids will be motivated by the possibility of playing 1st team football but they’ll lose that if players keep coming into the team on reputation alone.  The local lads will want to get us back into the Premiership and will be motivated by pride.  Players like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan are probably embarrassed to play in the Championship and will be motivated by wanting to get out of the league.  Motivation will suffer if players think that others are not pulling their weight as they’ll think that they have to carry the dross.  Nothing de-motivates more than people thinking that others are getting special treatment and I can see how some of our players could feel that way.

In short, Hughton needs to balance the starting 11 and play the players who are performing, if he does that then we could walk this division and he could become a manager.

:clap: :clap:

Plus this:

Taylor added: "We have never had a coach who has taken individuals specifically and worked with their different weaknesses.

I have very little faith that Hughton has continued the one-to-one coaching that Shearer and Dowie started.

Still wondering why a coach is being offered a managers job. There is no need to change Chris Hughton's position at the moment. Leave him in the caretaker role.

Have you seen the state of the floors? Better suited to be manager tbh.

Taylor added: "We have never had a coach who has taken individuals specifically and worked with their different weaknesses.

I have very little faith that Hughton has continued the one-to-one coaching that Shearer and Dowie started.

Caulkin claimed in a lengthy article the other day that Shearer's idea of them all eating together (as they did under Sir Bobby) had already gone out of the window, as had the series of fines for being late to training and stuff.

Caulkin claimed in a lengthy article the other day that Shearer's idea of them all eating together (as they did under Sir Bobby) had already gone out of the window, as had the series of fines for being late to training and stuff.

Plus the idea of the players not going out on the piss too close to games seems to have been abandoned too.

Hughton seems to have got the players to like him by letting them do whatever they want to, both on and off the pitch, with no consequences for them should they ignore him.  That's fine for short term morale boosting, but it is no way to run a football club.

Nolans interview on the official site has him saying Hughton told them to get the ball down and impose their game more, so not sure what tactics you can argue with.

It took four and a half games for him to say that to them? Tactical genius tbh. I mean we only saw it all the way back against QPR

Not sure how that proves thats the first time he said it really

"In the first half Doncaster played a good tactical game, but they will keep possession against any team"

- Chris Hughton

:jesuswept:

I read that and couldn't believe he'd said it.

The idea is to keep the players positive and motivated. Its his job to make up random bs specifically so they keep self belief. If he came out constantly with.....ok you just got outplayed by scunthorpe..........ok forest just dominated you sacks of s***............ok..you should have lost to doncaster there ive no idea htf u lot are top of the league. You think that great amount of honest realism is going to turn them into match winners suddenly?

I cant really remember any managers properly slating their players performances and that producing a miraculous turn of form. Normally it becomes a circle of consistant slating & consistantly crap performances. See Roy Keane.

That's very disappointing if true :(

Everyone has to manage their own way. Even with half the team out, we're still top of the league, so Hughton must be doing something right.

Let's also bear in mind that Shearer won 1 out of 8, and we failed to score in 6 of those 8. He was still very much on the learning curve.

Everyone has to manage their own way. Even with half the team out, we're still top of the league, so Hughton must be doing something right.

Let's also bear in mind that Shearer won 1 out of 8, and we failed to score in 6 of those 8. He was still very much on the learning curve.

Nail on head to be honest

Guest toonlass

To give Shearer some credit though, managing Newcastle last season and managing Newcastle this season are two completely different things. Just look at what Hughton did when he was managing us last season.

To give Shearer some credit though, managing Newcastle last season and managing Newcastle this season are two completely different things. Just look at what Hughton did when he was managing us last season.

true but I wonder if Shearer was managing us atm and had exactly the same set of results and performances etc would he be getting as much stick as Hughton, we are top of the league so he's doing something right obviously

True. However, the point should also stand that Mr. Shearer has not even proven himself to be an average manager at this point and there is no reason that anything should be brought over from his short and ill-fated regime.

true but I wonder if Shearer was managing us atm and had exactly the same set of results and performances etc would he be getting as much stick as Hughton, we are top of the league so he's doing something right obviously

Very true.

Guest toonlass

That is something we will never know.

Can't see why appointing him as a permanant manager would make any difference to what he is doing now tbh. Ashley should just leave things as they are.

I think Shearer would be getting stick if he was doing everything exactly as hughton is.

I think most people like Chris Hughton but there is a background anger at what his appointment would represent and that, unfortunately for Chris, is affecting the general opinion of what he is doing with the team.

Can't see why appointing him as a permanant manager would make any difference to what he is doing now tbh. Ashley should just leave things as they are.

We'll see when Shearer eventually takes over how people will react to his results.

We'll see when Shearer eventually takes over how people will react to his results.

We need a sale for that to happen,and the fact Hughton's about to sign a full time contract surely indicates that we shouldn't be holding our breath.

We need a sale for that to happen,and the fact Hughton's about to sign a full time contract surely indicates that we shouldn't be holding our breath.

Cant see it happening before the end of the week, no.

We've already had a pretty good indication. His results weren't any better than Kinnear's or Hughton's last season. Those two were regarded as useless while he was considered the man that Ashley must appoint.

I wonder if Hughton would have had the balls to drop Owen or to take on Joey Barton?  I doubt it.  At least Shearer didn't pick by reputation. 

Also, we were playing in a much tougher league last season.  I'm sure Hughton had a record last season which read 8 games played, 6 games lost, 2 drawn and didn't look as if he'd get a win in that division if we played 100 games under him, he had a worse record than Shearer.

I wonder if Hughton would have had the balls to drop Owen or to take on Joey Barton?  I doubt it.  At least Shearer didn't pick by reputation. 

Also, we were playing in a much tougher league last season.  I'm sure Hughton had a record last season which read 8 games played, 6 games lost, 2 drawn and didn't look as if he'd get a win in that division if we played 100 games under him, he had a worse record than Shearer.

I'm almost certain Hughton won at West Brom. (also tbf, Hughton was around during the most insanely chaotic parts of our insanely chaotic season) Pretty sure Shearer won 1 in 8 last year as well.

Hughton did drop Owen in his final game in charge. Shearer immediately restored him for 4 games, which was a costly error.

Hughton also faced down Barton at the start of the season. They had some kind of a row, I seem to remember.

I'm not sure whether Shearer comes ahead of Hughton in terms of his record last season, but if so there's hardly anything in it. The point was that Shearer was cut an awful lot more slack by most fans.