Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Newcastle - 22/08/09 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Just got home and was at the match today.  We got to the 'stadium' before 3 but missed Nolan's goal cos we were stuck queuing for ages outside.  Ryan Taylor's goal was a complete screamer, absolutely brilliant.

In general we just about did enough.  I'm waiting to see this phenomonen where we are everyone's cup final, Palace seemed to be going through the motions but maybe partly because of our early goal.  But it was definitely a lot to do with them genuinely being proper shite.

I thought Shola did well leading the line, Guthrie passed well before he went off, Enrique looks embarassed by how easy he finds it in this league. We're not having to get past first gear so far, it's completely surreal.

Bigger picture though: we can't afford to let anyone go and need a few additions in case we get injuries but we knew that anyway.

Not seen anything from today... but i think Enrique was the only one - from the very start - who i knew would absolutely piss this league. He's simply far too good for it and for once, the ridiculous "Spanish defender at Newcastle must be shit" agenda that the press churn out, has worked in our favour. I don't think he'll go this summer and it's bloody good news. If he and Jonas stay and we can get someone like Tommy Smith to operate the opposite flank (again; seen nowt from today but i'm not keen on Ryan Taylor at all), we'll have a fantastic wing combination. Especially if Simpson keeps up his promising performances.

Chuffed to pieces with the result like. Personally i think it's our biggest one yet as i said earlier. Palace will be there or thereabouts this season and we've comfortably picked them off on their own patch. We're looking really comfortable at the moment... without trying to get too ahead of ourselves (we need players), i can't wait for Cardiff. That's going to be an interesting game. Home to Leicester shouldn't pose us too many problems but fatigue will become an issue.

On the midfield debate, at home i would be tempted to go for a 4-3-3 when Barton, Guthrie and Smith are fit.

Smith

Barton            Guthrie

Lua Lua            Jonas

Ameobi

At home i think that would be a great formation and if we were promoted i would try and keep it that way but i'd have a better quality striker leading the line (Shola is at his level now imo). The midfield above is perfect for the Championship as it has the pace, the creativity, the vision, the skill and the grit to win this league. I don't think it would look out of place in the Prem either, all 3 could at least play for a mid-table side especially Barton who has the ability to play in Europe imo.

How many more games before we can declare this league to be piss easy?

Threadbare squad with our best players gone, a coach way out of his depth filling the manager void, and yet we're joint top with Boro who seem to be in the same boat as us in terms of having players who are either too good for this level or well suited to it.

Judging by last year's table, Cardiff, Sheffield Utd and Preston NE might be the only other decent teams we haven't faced.

It may well appear to be a "piss easy" league to us right now, but let's see if folks still feel that way when the threadbare nature of our squad combines with fixture congestion, injuries, fatigue and the onslaught of a potential Cup run as well. All of that will take its toil, and if you add in the possibility that we could also be facing all of that without the services of Taylor, Coloccini, Ameobi...whoever else that may be sold...

Don't let's go counting chickens just yet, eh?  :undecided:

This - the side have done all that could be asked of them so far, but if any more essential players(like Taylor) leave, or we get injuries/suspensions, then the side could struggle.

The off-field situation needs sorting out ASAP and a couple of decent recruits brought in before there can be any degree of smugness or complacency about winning promotion ; this is a long season and another 42 games are left, which is plenty of time to slip up. Even if 4 other sides manage to finish better than Newcastle, it will all be wasted...people need to remember that.

I will start thinking about trying to tie up promotion IF we are in the same position on the 1st of March....

Guest Heneage

On the midfield debate, at home i would be tempted to go for a 4-3-3 when Barton, Guthrie and Smith are fit.

Smith

Barton             Guthrie

Lua Lua             Jonas

Ameobi

At home i think that would be a great formation and if we were promoted i would try and keep it that way but i'd have a better quality striker leading the line (Shola is at his level now imo). The midfield above is perfect for the Championship as it has the pace, the creativity, the vision, the skill and the grit to win this league. I don't think it would look out of place in the Prem either, all 3 could at least play for a mid-table side especially Barton who has the ability to play in Europe imo.

I'm not having a go at you personally Gallowgate so apologies if it appears that way. But.

Seriously what the fuck has Lua Lua done to justify being near the first team bar scoring against Blyth and a bunch of Northumbria Uni students? He looked horrendous against Reading.

I'd rather give Haris a go, or try signing a right winger on loan. Lovenkrands even .

Enrique's been MotM or top 2 for every one of our games.

Have said before that I rated this boy - will be surprised(but pleased)if he is still at SJP by the end of January.

Too good for this league and will still improve.

Smith

Ameobi

I'm not having a go at you personally Gallowgate so apologies if it appears that way. But.

Seriously what the fuck has Lua Lua done to justify being near the first team bar scoring against Blyth and a bunch of Northumbria Uni students? He looked horrendous against Reading.

I'd rather give Haris a go, or try signing a right winger on loan. Lovenkrands even .

Horrendous? He was hardly on the pitch ffs. Glad to see we give youth a chance though.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

The only thing about Lua Lua is from what I've seen, he looks pretty lightweight and he would struggle against big physical teams.

I think the players themselves are just playing better than last season also, i wouldnt put it all down to worse opposition.

R taylor is a good example of that, last season we were lucky when his freekicks didnt leave the stadium. Hes had two saved so far, ones grazed the bar, put in a great cross for Ameobi & now scored from 20 yards.

The pressure is largely whats done us last season from everything that happened.

Smith

Ameobi

Seriously what the f*** has Lua Lua done to justify being near the first team bar scoring against Blyth and a bunch of Northumbria Uni students? He looked horrendous against Reading.

I only really had him there to justify the formation of the midfield tbh. I think he's one for the future and he needs to be given more of a chance but in all honesty i couldn't think of anyone else to put there. 

Ok so here it goes...

Harper - 8 - He actually came out to catch a few balls, which is amazing for Harper really.  Not too many saves to make though got down well for Ambrose's shot.

Simpson - 7 - Defensively looked alright, but didn't have anyone to link up with on the right as Taylor kept dropping in, so wasn't brilliant going forward.  A point in the second half he kicked the ball ahead of a defender and tried to catch it himself, told the whole story of his game that moment.

Colocini - 8 - Solid game, won most of the balls that were thrown in long.  Booted it clear a few times which is suprising for him.

STaylor - 8 - Partnered Colo very well and tidy sensible defending.

Jose - 9 - Brilliant game, link up play with Jonas was great on Jose's part.  Defensively wasn't tested too much and when he was managed to play it out.

RTaylor - 7 - Great goal.  Didn't do a whole lot else, decent performance though dropping into the middle meant all the play was down the left.

Guthrie - 7 - Lacked match fitness.  Didn't do alot wrong.  Would prefer Barton and Smith patnership in the centre.

Smith - 9 - My man of the match.  Brilliant display, won everything and played the ball forwards whenever he gained possession of it.  Brilliant to see one of our midfielders looking to ease pressure off the defense. 

Jonas - 7 - Nice assist.  Linked up well with Jose however Jonas looked very reluctant at times to push forwards and run with the ball. 

Shola - 7 - Won the ball well when required, though a few instances of the old Shola were certainly creeping back into his game.  One too many 'slips' aka bambi legs and one shot imparticular in the second half he should have done better with.

Nolan - 7 - Good finish for the goal, but amazingly still looks like he lacks match fitness.  Perhaps it is because he was playing in a weird position that requires pace.  Would have preferred to see Guthrie pushed into this position and Nolan in CM.

Ranger (6 - Not great, one nice run.  Rest of the time struggled)

Butt (5 - Awful passing, not entirely sure where he was meant to be playing either!)

Geremi (Not enough time to judge)

Overall I came away very happy.  Our support was loud when we got going however there was periods of silence.  Palace's Holmedayle fans banged their drum for ages at one point, sounded shit but least it made a little atmosphere when we weren't singing.  Alot of Mags from other areas of the country I noticed.  Particulary a few scots and many cockneys.  Usually when this happens our support becomes scarily bad, however this didn't happen today which I am quite happy about.

Nolan in the attacking off the striker role doesn't work.  Shola needs a proper striker alongside him to link up with.

Guthrie and Smith is not our best midfield pairing.  Smith HAS to play based on all of his performances so far, class act in this league.  Would like to see Barton and Smith in the centre.  If Hughton insists playing one off the striker try Guthrie in that position, he is attacking minded and has a good run, Barton and Smith can play balls through for him and Barton will be able to get up to support him and be experienced enough to know he was to get back.

Defensively we looked solid, though they could have punished us a few times with unmarked headers.  Difficult to judge who was at fault for many however due to the area being packed and my eyes being shit.

Dry train back up however, and the 1 hour trip accross London meant no pints in a pub before or after.  Nevermind!

Ok so here it goes...

Harper - 8 - He actually came out to catch a few balls, which is amazing for Harper really.  Not too many saves to make though got down well for Ambrose's shot.

Simpson - 7 - Defensively looked alright, but didn't have anyone to link up with on the right as Taylor kept dropping in, so wasn't brilliant going forward.  A point in the second half he kicked the ball ahead of a defender and tried to catch it himself, told the whole story of his game that moment.

Colocini - 8 - Solid game, won most of the balls that were thrown in long.  Booted it clear a few times which is suprising for him.

STaylor - 8 - Partnered Colo very well and tidy sensible defending.

Jose - 9 - Brilliant game, link up play with Jonas was great on Jose's part.  Defensively wasn't tested too much and when he was managed to play it out.

RTaylor - 7 - Great goal.  Didn't do a whole lot else, decent performance though dropping into the middle meant all the play was down the left.

Guthrie - 7 - Lacked match fitness.  Didn't do alot wrong.  Would prefer Barton and Smith patnership in the centre.

Smith - 9 - My man of the match.  Brilliant display, won everything and played the ball forwards whenever he gained possession of it.  Brilliant to see one of our midfielders looking to ease pressure off the defense. 

Jonas - 7 - Nice assist.  Linked up well with Jose however Jonas looked very reluctant at times to push forwards and run with the ball. 

Shola - 7 - Won the ball well when required, though a few instances of the old Shola were certainly creeping back into his game.  One too many 'slips' aka bambi legs and one shot imparticular in the second half he should have done better with.

Nolan - 7 - Good finish for the goal, but amazingly still looks like he lacks match fitness.  Perhaps it is because he was playing in a weird position that requires pace.  Would have preferred to see Guthrie pushed into this position and Nolan in CM.

Ranger (6 - Not great, one nice run.  Rest of the time struggled)

Butt (5 - Awful passing, not entirely sure where he was meant to be playing either!)

Geremi (Not enough time to judge)

Overall I came away very happy.  Our support was loud when we got going however there was periods of silence.  Palace's Holmedayle fans banged their drum for ages at one point, sounded shit but least it made a little atmosphere when we weren't singing.  Alot of Mags from other areas of the country I noticed.  Particulary a few scots and many cockneys.  Usually when this happens our support becomes scarily bad, however this didn't happen today which I am quite happy about.

Nolan in the attacking off the striker role doesn't work.  Shola needs a proper striker alongside him to link up with.

Guthrie and Smith is not our best midfield pairing.  Smith HAS to play based on all of his performances so far, class act in this league.  Would like to see Barton and Smith in the centre.  If Hughton insists playing one off the striker try Guthrie in that position, he is attacking minded and has a good run, Barton and Smith can play balls through for him and Barton will be able to get up to support him and be experienced enough to know he was to get back.

Defensively we looked solid, though they could have punished us a few times with unmarked headers.  Difficult to judge who was at fault for many however due to the area being packed and my eyes being shit.

Dry train back up however, and the 1 hour trip accross London meant no pints in a pub before or after.  Nevermind!

Good stuff. Agree with pretty much all of it, but have to say that for me we looked far from solid anytime they got balls in from out wide or corners. They must of had 5 or 6 free headers that on other days could/should have gone in.

I really hoped for more from Jonas in the Championship as well. Yes he got the assists yesterday, but he just seems to let the attention from his markers frustrate him, and, as you say, seems reluctant to just play his game and push us on.

All in all though we seemed comfortable and and it never felt like Palace could get back into the game.

Great to see the squad seem so together at the end too. :thup:

Guest Heneage

Smith

Ameobi

Seriously what the f*** has Lua Lua done to justify being near the first team bar scoring against Blyth and a bunch of Northumbria Uni students? He looked horrendous against Reading.

Horrendous? He was hardly on the pitch ffs. Glad to see we give youth a chance though.

All he seems to do is fanny on with it or try kick and run.

Guest Heneage

Smith

Ameobi

All he seems to do is fanny on with it or try kick and run.

Substitutes:

Xisco for Ameobi (77)

Geremi for Smith (78)

LuaLua for Barton (82)

so a whole 8 minutes then! and in that time he managed to "fanny on with it or try kick and run"

and considering we were 3 up at the time, what do you want him to be doing?

I'd like him to do something different to what he tried against Stoke in the cup under BSA. He seems to have this headless chicken tendency that his brother/cousin Lomana had. I don't debate he has the potential to be brilliant, but it's how often he can deliver.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Hughton will never have the balls to play Barton and Guthrie in the centre of a four so there's not much point speculating about it being our best partnership.

Aye.

Butt and Smith in the middle, allowing Nolan to play the free role, is probably what the long term dream is.

Depressing. :lol:

But it's the equivalent of having Beckenbauer, Redondo and Zidane in the championship.

Guest Heneage

Hughton will never have the balls to play Barton and Guthrie in the centre of a four so there's not much point speculating about it being our best partnership.

Aye.

Butt and Smith in the middle, allowing Nolan to play the free role, is probably what the long term dream is.

Depressing. :lol:

But it's the equivalent of having Beckenbauer, Redondo and Zidane in the championship.

I think Zidane and Redondo are faster than Butt and Nolan.

Alan Smith or Barton seems to be the discussion in this thread. For me, as long as a player perform he really should keep his place, we should stop picking players because of their name... thats what got us to the championship in the first place.

Atm Smith seems to be performing very well, so why shouldnt he keep on playing? I'm no fan of Smith, but he seems to be less injury prone than Barton, so he should be playing more games= he should start ahead of Barton. Like some say: Never change a winning team.