La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

Betis and Hércules will fight out the remaining spot, they are tied at 68 points with one game remaining and Hércules holds the head-to-head.

Who would you like to see promoted? I like Betis....they should not be playing in La Segunda....but I wouldn't mind Hercules in La Liga...i can vaguely remember them there in the mid 90's and they are a fairly decent sized club. Just looking through their squad list they have familiar names like Portillo, Rufete, Farinos, Parmerot even...

Quite an eventful day today. Sandro Rosell has - expectedly - won the FC Barcelona election. May God give him wisdom and silverware. Meanwhile, Real Sociedad and Levante have been promoted to first division. Looking forward seeing the txuri-urdin back where they belong :thup: Betis and Hércules will fight out the remaining spot, they are tied at 68 points with one game remaining and Hércules holds the head-to-head.

Yay, delighted Sociedad are back. That Nihat-Kovacevic partnership was when I first really started watching La Liga at all, they really should have won the league that year.

I remember that team well, with De Pedro,Alonso and Karpin?

Some very big news that can potentially send ripples across Spanish football. Mediapro, the company that holds the TV rights for Barça and Real Madrid (and several other La Liga teams), has just filed for administration.

They say they will honor the football contracts, but we'll see.

Some very big news that can potentially send ripples across Spanish football. Mediapro, the company that holds the TV rights for Barça and Real Madrid (and several other La Liga teams), has just filed for administration.

They say they will honor the football contracts, but we'll see.

Sevilla already announced they are stopping their signings because of this. Of course, they say that right after signing Guarente from Atalanta for 5m.

Barça Atlètic have been promoted to our Second Division after beating Sant Andreu 1-0 on aggregate score in the promotion playoff finals.  I'd have preferred Sant Andreu to make it (a real team and not a feeder), but it's still going to be great for developing our youth players!

VI, how do you think A.Madrid will do next season?  I hear they are close to signing Filipe Luis, which would be a big coup.  Add him to Aguero, Forlan, Reyes etc. and it's going to be a canny team.  As long as there's no off the field strife do you think 3rd place is theirs?

don't think i've ever seen anyone post 5 consecutive posts before on any thread :lol:

well done, one is even a reply to yourself   :kinnear:

sorry man, you're a great source of knowledge, just amused me for some reason

I like it, it's like having our own La Liga newsfeed. :bluestar:

VI, how do you think A.Madrid will do next season?  I hear they are close to signing Filipe Luis, which would be a big coup.  Add him to Aguero, Forlan, Reyes etc. and it's going to be a canny team.  As long as there's no off the field strife do you think 3rd place is theirs?

Yes if they manage to keep hold of the likes of Agüero and Forlán. They are a bit f***ed up financially so there's always the threat they will have to sell. Plus they are Atleti, great choking artists of La Liga. But with Valencia's downsizing only Sevilla looks able to compete with them right now.

And I like talking to myself, I always agree with me :p

Ok, today La Liga announced the nominations for our player of the year awards. A couple interesting names in there, and a couple interesting names *not* in there. Also if you're named Xavi and play in midfield you're automatically good.

Best keeper: Palop (Sevilla), César (Valencia), Valdés (Barça)  - No Casillas

Best defender: Arbeloa (R.Madrid), Domínguez (Atlético), Piqué (Barça) - No Alves

Best midfielder: Xabi Alonso (R. Madrid), Xavi Hernández (Barça), Javi Martínez (Athletic)

Best attacking midfielder: Pedro (Barça), Pedro León (Getafe), Navas (Sevilla) - weird category, I'd class all these as forwards...

Best forward: Messi (Barça), Higuaín (R. Madrid), Cristiano Ronaldo (R. Madrid)

Best new player: Pedro (Barça), De Gea (Atlético), Canales (Racing)

Only 3 foreigners nominated, all of them in the forward category.

All teams not named Barcelona and Real Madrid (supposedly) are on the verge of financial collapse, so there's going to be no spending and much less catching up. Valencia and Atlético are pretty fucked. Sevilla are quite healthy and they are getting CL football again, but so far the transfer window isn't looking good with Luís Fabiano, Adriano, Navas... linked to moves out (again they always seem to replace those big players when they lose them).

So yes, it's going to be boring. We'll see what happens with the strife at the LFP between the big and the small teams though.

Has he completely gotten over his chronic homesickness? I was under the impression that he's only making an exception for Spain.

All teams not named Barcelona and Real Madrid (supposedly) are on the verge of financial collapse, so there's going to be no spending and much less catching up. Valencia and Atlético are pretty f***ed. Sevilla are quite healthy and they are getting CL football again, but so far the transfer window isn't looking good with Luís Fabiano, Adriano, Navas... linked to moves out (again they always seem to replace those big players when they lose them).

So yes, it's going to be boring. We'll see what happens with the strife at the LFP between the big and the small teams though.

Has he completely gotten over his chronic homesickness? I was under the impression that he's only making an exception for Spain.

He has said he has overcome his problem with professional help. He'd just be moving to Madrid anyway.

All teams not named Barcelona and Real Madrid (supposedly) are on the verge of financial collapse, so there's going to be no spending and much less catching up. Valencia and Atlético are pretty f***ed. Sevilla are quite healthy and they are getting CL football again, but so far the transfer window isn't looking good with Luís Fabiano, Adriano, Navas... linked to moves out (again they always seem to replace those big players when they lose them).

He has said he has overcome his problem with professional help. He'd just be moving to Madrid anyway.

along with his mum,dad, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandma, grandpa and cousins.

I know this question has been asked several times before - but why did Ferguson let Pique go back to Barcelona for so cheap? Was it simply due to the fact he couldn't guarantee him first team football?

I know this question has been asked several times before - but why did Ferguson let Pique go back to Barcelona for so cheap? Was it simply due to the fact he couldn't guarantee him first team football?

He was also in his last year of contract too, and I guess he just didn't rate him that highly. I don't think anybody expected him to be so good so soon to be frank.

because Jonny Evans > Pique apparently. He must have been hitting the whisky hard that week.

La Liga have quietly approved the new system for promotion to our first division. We are pretty much aping the CCC now, with first two getting automatic promotion and a playoff between teams placed 3rd-6th for the last spot.

Still not sure what to think about this. The season in our second division is already insufferably long.

Mallorca's owner has confirmed he's selling the club to a consortium headed by former manager Llorenç Serra Ferrer. Rumor is the price is only €2m, but the club is €70m in debt, a lot of it overdue or in short term.

Wasn't Freddy looking to buy them at some point? If he has money maybe he'll take us back. :-[ [/wishfulthinking]

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/cruyff-stripped-of-honorary-barcelona-title-2016744.html

seems a bit much, why not just announce a vote then award to the winner?

Idiotic move if you ask me. It was just a honorary position without any real prerogative to honor one of our biggest legends. Petty.

Cruyff has given up the title voluntarily though. Arguing that he doesn't want to be a nuisance.

As I feared (and to be honest, expected) new president Sandro Rosell has revealed that Barça's economy isn't in good shape and we have cash-flow problems made worse by our TV rights holder filing up for administration. We are negotiating a €150m loan.

Was obvious paying those wages and spunking tens of millions in crap like Hleb, Cáceres, Chygrynsky, etc... and crazy deals like Ibra just wasn't in good sense.

Oh well, it's been fun.