La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

When Redknapp & Gray were talking about CL final it is amazing to think of the X-Real Madrid players knocking around, without much thinking this my x-Real Madrid team

GK - César

RB - Cicinho

LB - Heinze

CB - Cannavaro

CB - Samuel

RM - Robben

CM - Cambiasso

CM - Sneijder

LM - Robinho

CF - Eto

CF - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Subs: RVN, Seedorf, Woodgate, Owen :pow: Beckham, Negredo &  Roberto Carlos

Manager: F.Capello

I am sure there may be the odd better player out there I have missed

Guest neesy111

Messi isn't a striker. Best striker goes to Higuain.

he's played mainly as a striker this season

When Redknapp & Gray were talking about CL final it is amazing to think of the X-Real Madrid players knocking around, without much thinking this my x-Real Madrid team

GK - César

RB - Cicinho

LB - Heinze

CB - Cannavaro

CB - Samuel

RM - Robben

CM - Cambiasso

CM - Sneijder

LM - Robinho

CF - Eto

CF - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Subs: RVN, Seedorf, Woodgate, Owen :pow: Beckham, Negredo &  Roberto Carlos

Manager: F.Capello

I am sure there may be the odd better player out there I have missed

Huntelaar over RVN? Have a word, man.

If the award is using 'forward' as an umbrella term for forwards and strikers, then it's Messi's.

Agree with Neesy about Manzano, like. Relatively, he has done an unbelievable job.

I don't know what stops Messi being a striker to be honest.  Last season when Eto'o and Messi were swapping, what stopped Messi being a striker?  He took over Eto'o's position in those games which I'm sure we'll all agree was as striker.

He's done the same this season but even more often.

For best defender Filipe Luis has to be considered even if he has missed a big part of the season.

Messi is a bit too small, the times were Pep lined up as #9 he was bullied off the ball easily. He's much more of a threat coming from the wing and swapping, confusing defenders.

Being in the wing also helps him dropping more deep and orchestrating play earlier.

"Naturally, with this in mind, it is easy to feel irritated by the manager Pep Guardiola, who is clearly bright and even nice but spoils this by looking like a swanky graphic designer, someone who might own a coffee table made out of barbed wire."

Too true. :lol:

Cartagena attempted to play dirty in their game against promotion rivals Levante yesterday. After the game ended 2-2 at half time, the locals started the sprinklers only in the half of the pitch Levante were defending. Didn't help them much as they ended up losing 3-5  :lol:

Now they might also get done by the FA.

Real Sociedad are also doing their best in order to not get promoted this season, three on the trot without a win. Still 4 points over 4th place (first 3 are promoted). Betis are back in it, though, only missing on third place by goal average.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/may/25/the-sids-2010-la-liga-awards

Team of the season

Víctor Valdés (Barcelona), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Gerard Piqué (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Filipe Luis (Deportivo), Xavi (Barcelona), Éver Banega (Valencia), Borja Valero (Mallorca), Cristiano Ronaldo (Madrid), Leo Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuaín (Madrid).

Subs: Javi Martínez (Athletic); Jesús Navas (Sevilla); Pedro (Barcelona); Diego Alves (Almería), Marcelo, Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid); José Nunes, Chori Castro (Mallorca); Diego Castro, Alberto Botía (Sporting); David Villa (Valencia); Pedro León, Cata Díaz (Getafe); Nino (Tenerife).

Borja Valero ? :-O

Athletic have broken ground on their new stadium. They expect it to be ready for the 2012-2013 season.

Will be sad to see San Mamés go.

Wonder if they'll be able to retain the atmosphere?

The sheer intensity there must ensure Athletic a few extra points every season. Although it's not really the fortress it once was.

Most fans have been whining it won't. It's probably too big and the stands are further away from the pitch, which has always been one of the strengths of San Mamés (built mimicking English grounds). They say it's going to be safer but it's not like there's ever been trouble in that place. For all their passion they are a very welcoming set of fans.

And it's the second oldest pitch in Spanish professional football, a piece of history. But I guess they have their reasons for tearing it down instead of just remodelling. Part of the grounds are going to the municipality to expand the neighboring university in exchange of investment in the new stadium.