Newcastle United 1 - 0 Leicester City - 31/08/09 - post match reaction from p22

JH

Smith did nowt with the ball yet wins a few eye catching tackles and gets motm, what a fucking joke

He shouted a fair bit.

He spent the entire game battling with Steve Howard tbh, needless Smith hate. He did well imo.

Aye, thought he was alright.

Smith did nowt with the ball yet wins a few eye catching tackles and gets motm, what a f***ing joke

He shouted a fair bit.

He spent the entire game battling with Steve Howard tbh, needless Smith hate. He did well imo.

what's your point?

Guest Phil K

Smith did nowt with the ball yet wins a few eye catching tackles and gets motm, what a f***ing joke

Jesus.... I'm at work, and listening to it when I could, what came across was no shortage of effort from both Ranger and Smith.

Pays yer money....

Smith did nowt with the ball yet wins a few eye catching tackles and gets motm, what a fucking joke

He shouted a fair bit.

Yeah definitely did a great job, we would've been down 2-0 pretty quickly without him I reckon - he really kept Howard at bay.

Smith did a good job on Howard, broke up a lot of play, kept it simple and got us back on the front foot a few times.

He was fantastic in the air as well. I don't know how anybody can slag that performance, it was inspirational at this level.

Ranger motm to be honest, Enrique was the kingpin of the defence once again but let himself down with daft passes

On that basis alone, how on earth is Nile behind Carroll in the pecking order?

Because he hadnt played that game yet. Might look different now.

Btw I thought Danny Simpson did a really good job in the centre, all things considered. Didn't really notice him, which is a positive thing.

Agreed, but wouldn't want to see him in there too often as we will end up getting bummed in the air.

Kudos to Leicester, I thought they were the best team we've played this season.

In which case, we're really going to piss this league. I thought they were very limited where it really counts in the final third.

Smith was MOM for me. He really held the team together.

You could see Ranger growing in confidence as the game went on. Presumably he's still going to fill out, and once he's a bit stronger we'll have a very good player on our hands.

Ranger motm to be honest, Enrique was the kingpin of the defence once again but let himself down with daft passes

On that basis alone, how on earth is Nile behind Carroll in the pecking order?

Because he hadnt played that game yet. Might look different now.

I don't really see what effect the opposition could have on a player's first touch tbh

Kudos to Leicester, I thought they were the best team we've played this season.

In which case, we're really going to piss this league. I thought they were very limited where it really counts in the final third.

Smith was MOM for me. He really held the team together.

You could see Ranger growing in confidence as the game went on. Presumably he's still going to fill out, and once he's a bit stronger we'll have a very good player on our hands.

Think every team we've played has been limited in the final third. Cardiff may be different.

Guest Phil K

Btw I thought Danny Simpson did a really good job in the centre, all things considered. Didn't really notice him, which is a positive thing.

Well noticed. Was thinking that myself, listening to it at work (when I've had a sodding minute that is)

Have to say Calderwood should be praised on the defence.

Guest Matticus

Also how on earth was there 4 minutes injury time, I can't remember the physio coming on at all

No idea. Don't remember any stoppages at all? Maybe he really did add on a minute for every sub.

It's because it was on Sky, I'm sick of the bullshit stoppage times. Man Utd vs Arsenal had 5 mins, it was stupid.

By the way, I thought the substitutions were poor decisions. I know Ranger, Guthrie and Barton were knackered, but it's asking a lot for youngsters to come on at that late stage and in that situation of defending a slender lead.

Good win, Ranger did really well second half. Him and Shola up front would be pretty sweet. Other youngsters didn't really see much of it, but good to see Vuckic come on, his boots looked class.

That's your review of Vuckic?... You liked his boots   :facepalm:

Well he didn't really have any time to show us his Slovenian flair, next zidane tbh.