England v Slovenia: 17.30

Keefaz

Has none of the commentary team spotted the massive deflection on Defoe's shot? Looked to me like he was aiming for the other side of the goal, tbh.

defoes at spurs now so they aren't allowed to make out it was anything less miraculous.

Glen Johnson, what an absolute fucking mug, honestly. If he plays at a World Cup we have absolutely no chance. Teams just target his ineptitude time and time again.

Why is he considered to be a fullback? He has the attributes of a winger imo, I'm sure Paul Hart even played him there in a few games last season.

Think, defensively, Johnson has been shit.

FYP.

Yep, goal was pretty much his fault.

Green not faultless either, IMO. When I was young and playing in a youth team I was always taught to come for everything in the 6 yard box and clatter everyone out of the way.

If a keeper touches the ball with his hands outside the area, is it a red card irrelative of the context? Like, even if there isn't an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

yes

No it isn't.

since when? BTW I'm basing this on seeing Tony Norman sent off for Sunderland for a simple catch, way back in the day

I refer you to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3586054.stm

Sounds like a different interpretation to me  :dontknow:

What do you mean?

Well what we have here is examples of both a yellow card and a red card given for the same offence. Who's to say which is right, unless you can produce a rule of course

It's treated exactly the same as any handball. Page 110: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf

It's not though. The vast majority of handballs are just freekicks. If a keeper tocuhes the ball out of the box, he's lucky to escape with a yellow card.

Yeah that's because goalkeepers are the literal last line of defence. If he handballed, it's probably to prevent a GS chance.

Has none of the commentary team spotted the massive deflection on Defoe's shot? Looked to me like he was aiming for the other side of the goal, tbh.

townsend did. and it was hardly "massive".

Looked to me like he was aiming to the keeper's left but the deflection took it to the keeper's right. Pretty massive.

I don't think I've seen an England side where so many players look comfortable on the ball. If we can keep Rooney and Gerrard fit, we've got a chance of winning the thing.

I wish Rooney would cut out these spiteful lunges though. He did it a couple of times. Admittedly he was being fouled, but in a big tournament where the refs are dishing out cards right left and centre, he might get caught again.

a couple of thoughts from what i saw, rooney is a cheater goalkeeping is still a problem position so is left wing as gerrard shouldnt be out there, play lampard or gerrard not both heskey is still heskey and glen johnsons attempts at defending are more comical than coloccinis

I don't think I've seen an England side where so many players look comfortable on the ball. If we can keep Rooney and Gerrard fit, we've got a chance of winning the thing.

I wish Rooney would cut out these spiteful lunges though. He did it a couple of times. Admittedly he was being fouled, but in a big tournament where the refs are dishing out cards right left and centre, he might get caught again.

Aye, totally daft. And he injured an oppo player... In a friendly too, when both teams have important WC qualifying matches just around the corner.

Fwiw I thought Defoe was aiming for that side, the deflection just took it a little closer to the corner.

That's what I thought at first, but from the angle directly behind Defoe it looked like a huge deflection. Fair enough, it's a goal, but I think it's much less of a clever finish than I initally thought.

From the way he was turning, the position of one of the defenders and the fact it went between them I can only see he was shooting the one way. Not sure what angle you have seen it from though so I could be wrong. Any deflected shot is going to take away the intelligence (or intention) of the initial strike but I think that was going in either way as the keeper was taken out of the equation (unless it was straight at him) with the timing of the shot.

Guest Stephen927

Whichever way it was intended, I'm just glad he's continued scoring goals for the national side, and I hope (dare I say it) that he continues scoring for Tottenham too to keep him confident for the World Cup.