Premier League introduce home-grown quota and squad size limit

BlueStar

Sky Sports have said that none of the current Premiership clubs would be infringing the 'youngster' rule at present.

The financial measures also look fairly toothless. What really needs to change is clubs like Man City and Chelsea spending money that has no relation to their actual income, due to subsidies from a sugardaddy.

It sounds like a group of measures designed to head off the stricter proposals that are in the pipeline from UEFA. Nothing else.

Bob

Agreed. I think they are looking ahead and trying to ensure that the top 4 culture will change to a more even competition in time.

Also, the production line of young players can only benefit the national team in the longterm.

Some of these squads with 40/50 players are gonna be ferked...

How's that then? They don't have to get rid of the excess players, just not play them...

I'm loving how this thread has gone, FIVE players from ENGLAND? :omg: Has anyone actually bothered to read the original link?

You can be from afghanistan and be 'home-grown', it's just a matter of when you get over to England/Wales to be trained, gotta be here nice and young. As repeated by many folk, it's also 8 home grown players.

Every Premier League club will be able to meet this rule, but a few clubs will have to sacrifice a few bigger name players due to lack of space in the named squad. A 25 player squad is far from massive. A decent injury crisis and teams could be in the shit, especially if 8 players are shitty home grown makeweights.

It sounds like a group of measures designed to head off the stricter proposals that are in the pipeline from UEFA. Nothing else.

Spot on, looks like a big shake up  but is not. Also "Clubs can also supplement their 25- man squad with a B-list, featuring as many players as they want who were under the age of 21 at the start of the previous January. "

As for the financial stuff the tax man was chasing football anyway. I guess the PL will read the Chelsea & Man City accounts think these clubs are fucked & then on last page it will say "that owner Roman Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour are not about to call in there loans"

Guest float one in

This is a good move, but far too late and not radical enough, in my opinion. I wish the Premier League had gone with a 3 foreigners rule (in the match day squad) since the outset. However that was never going to happen when the massive money started rolling in - obviously and unfortunately the more overseas 'stars', the more money to be made from broadcasting.

Spot on, looks like a big shake up  but is not. Also "Clubs can also supplement their 25- man squad with a B-list, featuring as many players as they want who were under the age of 21 at the start of the previous January. "

As for the financial stuff the tax man was chasing football anyway. I guess the PL will read the Chelsea & Man City accounts think these clubs are fucked & then on last page it will say "that owner Roman Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour are not about to call in there loans"

Agreed. These rules are nonsense.  There needs to be serious changes regarding the crazy ownerships and youngsters being poached. The smaller clubs and leagues don't have a chance.

As for the financial stuff the tax man was chasing football anyway. I guess the PL will read the Chelsea & Man City accounts think these clubs are f***ed & then on last page it will say "that owner Roman Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour are not about to call in there loans"

Agreed. These rules are nonsense.  There needs to be serious changes regarding the crazy ownerships and youngsters being poached. The smaller clubs and leagues don't have a chance.

Make th PL clubs only allowed to do 3 out going loans. Any club that nabs a player under 18 from another has pay the other club 75% of any future transfer fee & the old club also gets a value of 10% of that player wages+signing n fee+bonuses before tax pay upto 5 years. Then everyone know where they stand in advance of the poach. This is left field & wacko thinking though.

I agree with the 25 player squad limit, it brings it into line with other European leagues and UEFA competitions, but the rest just seem like a crass attempt to head off UEFA's proposals as bobyule has said.

Is there anyway to stop the Arabs just forming some company and sponsering Man City for 200 million pounds a year?

Is there anyway to stop the Arabs just forming some company and sponsering Man City for 200 million pounds a year?

I'd have always chosen the really cheeky route of having a couple of very special season tickets for one or two gold plated seats that could sell for £100 million per season to get around the rules.

I'd hope that any rules that are brought in to curtail the extravagant unearned spending would include a taking the piss clause to prevent abuse like that, but the FA & Premier League are so in awe of large wads of cash they'd never do anything that might upset money.

As for the financial stuff the tax man was chasing football anyway. I guess the PL will read the Chelsea & Man City accounts think these clubs are f***ed & then on last page it will say "that owner Roman Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour are not about to call in there loans"

No

This is a good move, but far too late and not radical enough, in my opinion. I wish the Premier League had gone with a 3 foreigners rule (in the match day squad) since the outset. However that was never going to happen when the massive money started rolling in - obviously and unfortunately the more overseas 'stars', the more money to be made from broadcasting.

If that rule had been brought out, then teams similar to the Newcastle one we have now would be commonplace in the Premiership. Standard of football would be rubbish. Remember when this was a rule in the Champions League? Man Utd were regularly 3rd or 4th in the opening group stage getting hammered 4-0 at home to Barcelona.