Footballing connections

Dave

## Name                GP-GS  G  A Pts  Sh Shot% SOG  SOG% GW  PK-ATT

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6  CAVENER, Robert      5-5    0  0  0  13  .000    4    .308    0  0-0

Your friend needs new shooting boots!

Guest Brazilianbob

My Dad used to play wartime forces football with Matt Gillies who was a Spurs player at the time and they were great mates.  When Matt Gillies became manager of Leicester City and later Nottigham Forest (or vice versa) they would always meet up in the Station Hotel for a drink before the game and he would give my dad a ticket for the game.  Later in life my Dad became great mates with Joe Harvey after he retired from management and they played golf together every sunday morning until Joe died.  What always surprised me was the fairly modest semi that Joe lived in on Silver Lonnen in the west end!

My Dad used to play wartime forces football with Matt Gillies who was a Spurs player at the time and they were great mates.  When Matt Gillies became manager of Leicester City and later Nottigham Forest (or vice versa) they would always meet up in the Station Hotel for a drink before the game and he would give my dad a ticket for the game.  Later in life my Dad became great mates with Joe Harvey after he retired from management and they played golf together every sunday morning until Joe died.  What always surprised me was the fairly modest semi that Joe lived in on Silver Lonnen in the west end!

In summer 1974 I worked at Newcastle airport, and if we were on a late shift we'd get a minicab to take us home. The cab company my employers  used was owned by Bobby Moncur, who at the time was playing for Sunderland, but sometimes it would be Bobby himself driving the car that took me home. Incredible, compared to footballers now. He wasn't a very talkative bloke, which is also odd, given that he's now a pundit.

Guest Brazilianbob

In summer 1974 I worked at Newcastle airport, and if we were on a late shift we'd get a minicab to take us home. The cab company my employers  used was owned by Bobby Moncur, who at the time was playing for Sunderland, but sometimes it would be Bobby himself driving the car that took me home. Incredible, compared to footballers now. He wasn't a very talkative bloke, which is also odd, given that he's now a pundit.

I used to work with Bob Moncurs brother in law around 1972ish I think it was.  If I remember right he was called Paul Tighe.  He left work to go full time with Moncurs taxi company. 

i'm sure joe harvey had that big house on the A69 between lemington road ends and denton burn.

Guest burtyboy

My Brother played for England u-15's upfront with Micheal owen on about 6 occasions, he set him up v Brazil.

(Ronaldihno) was playing then named Ronaldo!

He also set him up v Scotland at st james park, and germany at wembley. He beat about 5 men from his own half way line and squared it to Owen  who buried it.

He later played for Whitby,Scarboro, Chesterfield and Carlisle.

He was top goalscorer 1 year at Chesterield

He was also in the sun back pages for scoring the 1st goal of the year, new years day Carlisle v Hartlepool

My Uncle Steve Jones scored the winner for Blyth spartans 1-0 V chesterfield in the FA cup 2nd round on the famous 77-78 cup run, he was then dropped in the 3rd round!

## Name                 GP-GS   G   A Pts  Sh Shot% SOG  SOG% GW  PK-ATT

6  CAVENER, Robert       5-5    0   0   0  13  .000     4     .308     0   0-0

He often played DM and at the back, to be fair to the lad.  O0

Guest firetotheworks

My Brother played for England u-15's upfront with Micheal owen on about 6 occasions, he set him up v Brazil.

He also set him up v Scotland at st james park, and germany at wembley. He beat about 5 men from his own half way line and squared it to Owen  who buried it.

He was also in the sun back pages for scoring the 1st goal of the year, new years day Carlisle v Hartlepool

My Uncle Steve Jones scored the winner for Blyth spartans 1-0 V chesterfield in the FA cup 2nd round on the famous 77-78 cup run, he was then dropped in the 3rd round!

Is he jamie Burt? I saw him play alongside Michael Owen and wes Brown against Brazil for the Under 15s at Wembled in '95, I think it was.

You got any interesting stories for us then, Burty?

## Name                 GP-GS   G   A Pts  Sh Shot% SOG  SOG% GW  PK-ATT

6  CAVENER, Robert       5-5    0   0   0  13  .000     4     .308     0   0-0

He often played DM and at the back, to be fair to the lad.  O0

Heh, just looked at their site again and they come to play against one of my town's colleges this Saturday.

Use to play alongside a guy who signed for Aberdeen in the 80s

My coach played for a couple of the clubs in Ireland, and got a couple of youth caps before he moved to Australia.  His son played for Australia and won the MOM when he won the old NSL grand final, he also trained Frank Farina, (former Australian manager and player) amongst others.

I've played alongside a few of the younger players in the A League, (use to play at the youth for one of the clubs)

Not sure if it counts, but I went to South America to play in a youth tournament, that had real madrids youth in it, got to play Gremio, San Lorenzo and Penarol.

some rather tenuous ones in here  :lol:

A friend of the family was engaged to Shola a while back, I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2000 and 2001, where I had to remind him of the games he'd scored in  :lol:

My dad was the kit sponsor for Bramble for 2 seasons, Shola for 4 and Coloccini for 1.

some rather tenuous ones in here  :lol:

A friend of the family was engaged to Shola a while back, I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2000 and 2001, where I had to remind him of the games he'd scored in  :lol:

My dad was the kit sponsor for Bramble for 2 seasons, Shola for 4 and Coloccini for 1.

you mug. he knows but likes people to talk about them.

Lionel Perez's fella used to live round the corner from my dad in Hebburn.

Xisco used to buy his Chutney from my Grandas Chutney Emporium. His Ferret feed from my aunties pet shop opposite the Centre for Life.

I was on first name terms with Dave McReery. Great fella he was.

Had sesh with Gazza (and his mate Jimmy) in Bar 42 at the time he had a frame on his shattered knee. He was piling through every cocktail on the coktail list (was on about 9 out of 14). Jimmy 5 Bellies barfed over the bar and they got chucked out - Gazza got arrested later the same night.