Ipswich Town 0 - 4 Newcastle United - 26/09/09 - post match reaction from p24

Dave

Roy Keane has begun to question his own managerial abilities in the midst of Ipswich's poor start to the season by admitting that he may have been 'found out'.

The Tractor Boys were thumped 4-0 at home to Newcastle on Saturday and voices of discontent from some sections of the Ipswich crowd could be heard at the final whistle.

Keane has led the club to their worst start to a season in their 73-year professional history, leaving Ipswich second bottom of the table.

The former Manchester United midfielder took over Sunderland in August 2006 with the club embroiled at the wrong end of the Championship only to lead them to the Premier League that season, but Keane insists the two situations are entirely different.

"It will be more steady, we can see that," he said. "Every club and every challenge is different.

Look at myself

"You can't compare the way we are at the moment with Sunderland. It is chalk and cheese.

"When I got us up at Sunderland, maybe I got a bit of luck. Maybe I was just very, very lucky and I have been found out.

"A lot of fans voiced their opinion at the end, and rightly so. I can look at the players, I can look at my staff, but I also have to look at myself.

"Draw whatever conclusions you want from that - I'm sure you'll draw a few."

Thing could worse before they get better for Keane as he takes his side to promotion chasing Sheffield United next week.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5588904,00.html

I was just about to post that. I loved Bobby's subtle hint that he'd actually have been prepared to sell Shearer.

Testament to the strength of character of the man. I always find it strange how SBR was supposed to have lost control of the dressing room yet he was still strong enough to threaten Shearer with relegation to the subs bench before he got the boot.

That was the main prob with Bob at the time.

He was tough where he SHOULDN'T have been, and lax where serious discipline was needed (Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy for starters)

I was just about to post that. I loved Bobby's subtle hint that he'd actually have been prepared to sell Shearer.

Testament to the strength of character of the man. I always find it strange how SBR was supposed to have lost control of the dressing room yet he was still strong enough to threaten Shearer with relegation to the subs bench before he got the boot.

He was tough where he SHOULDN'T have been, and lax where serious discipline was needed (Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy for starters)

When?

Bobby had his own way of handling players, I can think of Lineker being given leeway over training during the world cup. He handled Bellamy differently to how Souness did that's for sure, I think history will judge who got that one right.

I'm not sure whether it was FFS who said this but didnt Robson seriously consider selling Shearer to Liverpool in his last full season/ summer in charge? I'm sure i read it somewhere with Shepherd point blanky refusing to entertain the idea as he thought there would be a furious supporter backlash.

I'm not sure whether it was FFS who said this but didnt Robson seriously consider selling Shearer to Liverpool in his last full season/ summer in charge? I'm sure i read it somewhere with Shepherd point blanky refusing to entertain the idea as he thought there would be a furious supporter backlash.

I thought it was something like Shepherd brought Robson into his office telling him they'd received a good offer for Shearer from Liverpool, and what he thought about selling him. Robson wasn't too chuffed at the idea but said if he did had to sell him, Mpenza would be a possible replacement.

Woodgate Speed was the first real example of players being sold and not replaced in terms of quality.

Woodgate definitely, but at the time I remember Butt being a popular signing to replace Speed.

Butt was never good enough to replace Speed though, Speed covered us on the defensive side and chipped in with goals.

It was Speed's goal threat midfield that we missed sorely as we all know that Butt is hardly Gerrard esque when it comes to plundering goals from midfield.

It was Speed's goal threat midfield that we missed sorely as we all know that Butt is hardly Gerrard esque when it comes to plundering goals from midfield.

Wasn't the argument at the time though, that with Robert, Ambrose, Viana, Dyer, Jenas & Bowyer, we needed someone in the "holding role".

Woodgate Speed was the first real example of players being sold and not replaced in terms of quality.

Woodgate definitely, but at the time I remember Butt being a popular signing to replace Speed.

Butt was a good player when we signed him - albeit a different style of player to speed.

Don't need to stress 'when we signed him' do I?

Wasn't the argument at the time though, that with Robert, Ambrose, Viana, Dyer, Jenas & Bowyer, we needed someone in the "holding role".

Speed was still more of a goal threat than all but Robert from that list even when he left though. Dyer had his moments I guess.