Newcastle v QPR, 19:45 Wednesday, 30 September 2009 Pre Match Thread

Astroblack

2-0. Carroll and S Taylor.

That team worked fairly well I'd keep it the exactly the same except Guthrie in for Butt if he's back. Butt really can't play in this, he'll be fucked after about 6 mins. Also I'd keep Harewood in reserve for Saturday cos Bristol City will be a tougher game imo.

Ouch, QPR. This will be our toughest test yet. If we're not careful, we may just slip up here. The Championship is alot tougher than we think and this is the day it really hits hom......Yeah right :lol: :celb:

2-0

smith to get a goal you heard it here first :celb:

Ranger to score one! He really deserves it. Just hope Hughton continues 4-4-2 otherwise it's going to be really tough. It's not a walk in the park with 4-4-2 but it sure as hell will be easier for us to win that way.

3-1

Harper

Zurab* Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Smith

Taylor Guthrie

Nolan

Carroll Harewood

I'd be tempted to go back to the 4-4-2 cos QPR are better than Ipswich and will cause us more problems - but this system quite clearly gets us goals.

So in that case, the obvious change is putting Guthrie straight in there for Butt. However, given the protection that's provided by two hasslers in the centre-mid - Hughton might keep Smith and Butt together. The thing is, there's so many goals in this team with the right players and Guthrie is creative. Plus, we're at home so you wouldn't think we'd require two hasslers in the midfield, so stick Guthrie back in i say. Butt was pitiful on the ball anyway, plus his backwards passes only put more pressure on us.

Ranger's been really, really promising - but i don't think there's anything he can do that Marlon can't, plus i reckon Harewood will score goals for us and Ranger doesn't by any means appear to be more of a goal threat. Stick him on the bench - he certainly deserves to have third pickings at the very least. Saying that, Carroll just didn't look fit today and another game in quick succession... Hughton might opt for Ranger anyway. I hope not though, Carroll was excellent in the last home game.

*Simpson if fit.

Harper

Khiz   Taylor   Colo?   Enrique

Geremi   Smith   Nolan   Guthrie

Carroll   Harewood

Flat 4-4-2... or a diamond like today with Nolan at the head of it? Not being arsey - just wondering. :razz:  If so, i'd keep Taylor in there instead of Geremi cos he's got more finesse, and today was all about our midfielders harrying. That's why we didn't concede imo. Taylor, like Smith (and Butt tbf) chased a lot today and looked pretty good. His set pieces are getting increasingly better, as if it needs pointing out.

I'd be tempted to play:

Harper

Simpson Taylor Zurab Enrique

Guthrie Nolan Smith Lovenkrands

Ranger Harewood

this is what I think it'll be:

Harper

Simpson Taylor Zurab Enrique

Butt

Smith Guthrie

Nolan

Carroll Harewood

*based on Colo, Geremi, Jonas and R.Taylor not being fit and Simpson making it.

QPR are doing alright according to the table.

2-0 seems a good shout though.

It's great that we basically have no clue :lol:

Don't know what you mean, that was some detailed scouting.

:lol:

QPR are doing alright according to the table.

2-0 seems a good shout though.

It's great that we basically have no clue :lol:

Don't know what you mean, that was some detailed scouting.

If we race into an early lead we better not take foot off the gas like today.

I hope we see Peter Damage at his finest.

Ha, that's a point isn't it. Your average 'decent' Championship team (ie, top half/shout at the play-offs)... their first choice team includes Peter Ramage. Why did we ever think this league was any good?

I reckon theres a fair chance Marlon Harewood will get a full debut...On Ranger's performance tonight though and considering the traditional lack of pace we have been plagued with we can't afford to drop players like him

we cant afford to bring Harewood in for Ranger because we need pace?

:dowie:

No i just think that seeing as other players lack such an assent the more pacy players we have on the pitch with talent the better. I still think Harewood in an enigma in terms of his ability and Ranger has performed well in his last few games even against p'boro he stood out. I'd like to see how Marlon gets on because i think he looked ok with what little he had to work with. Fielding players like Nicky Butt we need all the pace we can get