Newcastle v QPR, 19:45 Wednesday, 30 September 2009 Pre Match Thread

Astroblack

It is strange mind, that in a season where we've seen Coloccini, R.Taylor & Nolan all score their first goals, Smith still hasn't even looked like coming close. :lol:

he seems to have forgotten how to shoot alright. Anyway With colo raylor and possibly all out could taviner get a call up to the rb slot? Anyone who saw him last week in cc how did he do?

Guest Rob 1988

What on earth makes you think Smith will score? Did you just arbitrarily pick someone? I can't even remember him having a shot this season.

ok realistically ill pick Guthrie instead...  happy now :pow:

Would like to see:

Harper

Simpson   Zurab   Taylor   Enrique

Smith

Taylor                                  Jonas*   

Nolan

Harewood   Ranger

*If he's fit.

Good feeling Butt wont be playing because didnt he say himself hes only able to play once a week anymore?Hope we dont have to play Geremi right back,praying Simpson will be fit.They bet Barnsley 5-2 in there last match but we should be far too strong at home please God

It is strange mind, that in a season where we've seen Coloccini, R.Taylor & Nolan all score their first goals, Smith still hasn't even looked like coming close. :lol:

It is ridiculous. Another ridiculous thought i had was that we might have still been playing in the premiership if Smith had played more last season, especially the games we failed to close out. He's already played more games this season i think.

Smith looked fairly good last season in the bits and bobs he featured in, although probably due to watching the Kev and Nicky masterclass for so long, it had a strange effect on my brain and therefore made Smith look like Zidane.

Tbf to Smith he plays very deep & very rarely goes forward. Where as Colo goes up for corners, Nolan has played as striker & Taylor is our Beckhamesq freekick taker. It is strange that a chap who played for England & in the CL as striker not so long ago is not even considered as striker at all now.

No point us rushing Jonas back though, I'd rather he missed the next few games if it means there's less chance of him getting injured again.

We may have little choice really.

With Taylor and Colocinni being giving the once over by the medical team we are back to bare bones. The situation isn't helped by the horrendous performances that Tozer has put in, and Kadar supposedly being poor against Huddersfield.

he seems to have forgotten how to shoot alright. Anyway With colo raylor and possibly all out could taviner get a call up to the rb slot? Anyone who saw him last week in cc how did he do?

He was excellent considering the team as a whole were poor and they were under the cosh. For a young 17 year old despite those conditions he performed admirably on the night. He is another youngun we should have no qualms about playing when needed.

Every midweek Championship game is on a wednesday though.

we've played later than the other teams pretty often. Cardiff was a Sunday and there's  been 3 late kick saturdays kick-offs for TV. Just use your brain mate.

We did actually request our games be played on Wednesday and not Tuesdays. I remember reading it when the fixtures came out.

Good feeling Butt wont be playing because didnt he say himself hes only able to play once a week anymore?Hope we dont have to play Geremi right back,praying Simpson will be fit.They bet Barnsley 5-2 in there last match but we should be far too strong at home please God

I would think that Hughton will do his best to cook up a formation that includes Butt in the line up, now he's got his foot back in the door it will be a job shifting him I reckon.

Alan Smith has clearly showed what many thought last season, which is that he is 10 times the player Butt is in that role. Having both of them in the midfield would be inexcusable if all our midfielders are fit to play.

Alan Smith has clearly showed what many thought last season, which is that he is 10 times the player Butt is in that role. Having both of them in the midfield would be inexcusable if all our midfielders are fit to play.

The fact the opposition are a lot more shit, and therefore easier to tackle and less likely to be fouled, has played a major factor mind. Still don't think Smith is the answer when we go back up. For this season though, ideal.

The fact the opposition are a lot more shit, and therefore easier to tackle and less likely to be fouled, has played a major factor mind. Still don't think Smith is the answer when we go back up. For this season though, ideal.

He's not the answer at a higher level but this season has just underlined that he should have been playing in Butt's position much earlier if we arent' going to sign a better player. He gets the ball and passes it short and on the deck which is all you want from a holding midfielder. None of the 40 yard hollywood nonsense that Butt keeps attempting when he isn't up to it.

Smith has been very good this season. So much so that it's easy to forget how woefully inadequate he was as a midfielder for us in the prem.

Hughton has confirmed that Colo and Barton are out.

Jonas and Geremi are back in the squad, still no word on Simpson or Taylor.

so if both simpson and taylor are out injured would that be Geremi at RB or Kadar/Tozer in the centre with Khiz at RB.

I'm sure Geremi has played RB in the past and did well when he was an alright player.

The fact the opposition are a lot more s***, and therefore easier to tackle and less likely to be fouled, has played a major factor mind. Still don't think Smith is the answer when we go back up. For this season though, ideal.

Smith has been very good this season. So much so that it's easy to forget how woefully inadequate he was as a midfielder for us in the prem.

My point exactly. Put him up against Lampard, Gerrard, etc. again, and he'll be back to his frustrating worst I reckon, picking up daft yellow cards, giving away silly free-kicks on the edge of the area, etc. At the very least I reckon this season will boost his transfer value in the summer.