Keegan vs Ashley and Co case settled - KK awarded 2m

Taylor Swift

For the 574757490th time, Keegan is a man of honour and principle - he COULD quite easily have said NOTHING and reamined at the club and seen his contract out which in total was worth £13 million

Managers get sacked or quit all the time, but I've never heard of anyone asking for anything remotely like £25 million, let alone getting it.

It's perfectly possible to be unhappy with that aspect of the case, whilst still acknowledging that the club was being run in an amateurish and bungling way.

It's not a question of 'either / or'. None of the parties come out of this train wreck with much credit.

Are you still trying to get digs in at Keegan? Dear me.

For the 574757489th time, Keegan is a man of honour and principle - he COULD quite easily have said NOTHING and reamined at the club and seen his contract out which in total was worth £13 million.

How anyone can seemingly support the lying shithouses who have dragged our club through the dirt is bryond me.

if keegan were a man of honour and principle he'd have gave 1 straight answer about why he left the first time round and he wouldn't have stabbed ray wilkins in the back.

unfortunatly he's just like us mere mortals and will sometimes say what suits as opposed to what is.

Managers get sacked or quit all the time, but I've never heard of anyone asking for anything remotely like £25 million, let alone getting it.

It's perfectly possible to be unhappy with that aspect of the case, whilst still acknowledging that the club was being run in an amateurish and bungling way.

It's not a question of 'either / or'. None of the parties come out of this train wreck with much credit.

For the 574757489th time, Keegan is a man of honour and principle - he COULD quite easily have said NOTHING and reamined at the club and seen his contract out which in total was worth £13 million.

How anyone can seemingly support the lying shithouses who have dragged our club through the dirt is bryond me.

FYI, people seriously need to stop the whole 'supporting Ashley' thing. Just because someone has something against Keegan, doesn't mean they're on Ashley's side. But then again, anyone who says anything negative about the great Kevin Keegan is obviously the anti-christ!

bobyule does support Ashley over KK tbf.

FYI, people seriously need to stop the whole 'supporting Ashley' thing. Just because someone has something against Keegan, doesn't mean they're on Ashley's side. But then again, anyone who says anything negative about the great Kevin Keegan is obviously the anti-christ!

bobyule does support Ashley over KK tbf.

a) you make it sound like a crime and b) I think both are at fault.

The key to the whole mess is the terrible working relationship between Keegan and Wise / Ashley. If things had been half-decent between them, the Nacho affair would never have blown up as it did. One or other of the parties would have backed down, or at least they'd have patched things up afterwards.

The tribunal report barely deals with that underlying background at all. The focus is on the loan deal and the 'final say' issue, and that's fair enough, because that's how the question of breach of contract and constructive dismissal is legally resolved. But it's far from the complete picture, as the heap of unpublished evidence would indicate.

But it's far from the complete picture, as the heap of unpublished evidence would indicate.

If the unpublished evidence was in any way, shape or form damaging to Keegan, what do you think the chances of Ashley et al releasing it to the press would be?

A million, trillion per cent?

But it's far from the complete picture, as the heap of unpublished evidence would indicate.

If the unpublished evidence was in any way, shape or form damaging to Keegan, what do you think the chances of Ashley et al releasing it to the press would be?

then keegan can publish it.

As someone else has said, he has done everything via the LMA which is the correct way - now I remember the first time around when he left he wasn't shy in splurging his story in the tabloids (something which disappointed me) and he may still do that again but I'd be surprised.

For the 574757489th time, Keegan is a man of honour and principle - he COULD quite easily have said NOTHING and remained at the club and seen his contract out which in total was worth £13 million.

Well I certainly question this short sighted honour and principle. Misplaced righteousness it might be with Keegan. I guess he was only looking out for number one instead of the short term sporting future of the club and its fans. I'd argue stronger principles might have seen him fight our corner given that he knew first hand how ridiculous the regime was being.

Well I certainly question this short sighted honour and principle. Misplaced righteousness it might be with Keegan. I guess he was only looking out for number one instead of the short term sporting future of the club and its fans. I'd argue stronger principles might have seen him fight our corner given that he knew first hand how ridiculous the regime was being.

Aye. It would have got better eventually  :lol:

What about the public humilation for Keegan when he was haulied very publically, to London for a meeting with Ashley.

Does that perhaps tell you any more about whether all was rosy prior to the 30th of August ?

Guest afternoonfix

What about the public humilation for Keegan when he was haulied very publically, to London for a meeting with Ashley.

Does that perhaps tell you any more about whether all was rosy prior to the 30th of August ?

public humilation for Keegan ? don't make me laugh , Keegan looks after no.1 always has always will.

it tells me he wasn't happy about not seemingly being able to spend ,was it "wheellbarrows" or some such sum of money and, as would happen at most clubs he get told off for it. as benitez did when he whinged about not being able to buy gareth barry.

For the 574757489th time, Keegan is rough are being man of honour and principle - he COULD quite easily have said NOTHING and remained at the club and seen his contract out which in total was worth £13 million.

:rolleyes:

Did you know SBR got money out of the club through compensation?  Did he care about the short term sporting future of the club or its fans in doing that?  Nope, he was looking out for number one instead huh?

Do you think any manager even thinks in the terms we're discussing this though?

Their career is football management, a club is their employer... they treat it the same as any of us would if we were shafted by our employers, or our contracts were breached. I imagine the long-term best interests of the club never enter into it.

Do you think any manager even thinks in the terms we're discussing this though?

Their career is football management, a club is their employer... they treat it the same as any of us would if we were shafted by our employers, or our contracts were breached. I imagine the long-term best interests of the club never enter into it.

different though as i wouldnt claim so much that would jeapordise my workmates employment.

Virtually nil, I'd say. What could he gain by carrying on the battle?

Guest Heneage

Clause 14.8.1 in KK's contract could explain the real reason for the club's failure to secure the services of a permanent manager.

Which was what sorry?

Nil? Nil???

From the camp that described lies as "public relations exercises", were repeatedly leaking false accusations to discredit the opposition, published baffling announcements like the "fact" (in capital letters of course) one and who offered the club for sale with emails to be sent to the web administrator? A camp that got totally discredited by shown up as being totally clueless, something that might also affect Ashley's already dubious business reputation in general?

That's ridiculous.

it tells me he wasn't happy about not seemingly being able to spend ,was it "wheellbarrows" or some such sum of money and, as would happen at most clubs he get told off for it. as benitez did when he whinged about not being able to buy gareth barry.

Do you think Benitez would have been kept in the loop by his employers about the sort of transfer budget that would be available for him? I am just talking about a rough idea so that Benitez would know whether to recommend a bid for Gareth Barry or Kevin Nolan?

Somehow I doubt Benitez would have been left to make fantastical wish lists for players he couldn't afford so I'm wondering why Keegan was supposedly chasing players like Lampard, Beckham and Henry in light of the very tight budget we have been operating on during Ashley's reign? Where was the direction and communication?

Did you know SBR got money out of the club through compensation?  Did he care about the short term sporting future of the club or its fans in doing that?  Nope, he was looking out for number one instead huh?

Scenarios couldn't be more different: Bobby straight up got the sack and got kicked out though. He also didn't just come back few months earlier.

Aye. It would have got better eventually  :lol:

Obviously not. But I'm sure Keegan knew how much damage he was doing by packing it in, it was probably part of the point too... but it's cutting off his nose to spite his face. In the end only real losers are us the fans.

You must be joking. He'd do absolutely anything he could to blame someone else.

As Isegrim points out above - that response sums up your position for me - absolutely clueless.

Not sure if this has been posted or not. Another one from George Caulkin.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/10/north-east-football-a-threemonth-report.html

We knew it all. We’d heard the stories about Dennis Wise, Kevin Keegan, Ignacio Gonzalez and YouTube. We’d long suspected that Mike Ashley’s Newcastle United thought nothing about deliberately misleading their supporters, even while they spent much of their time ignoring them. We knew it all and yet to see it written down in black and white was still startling.

This is a regime that has no credibility, which makes things up as it goes along, that is incapable of stringing two good decisions together, which treats its employees with contempt and its paying customers as if they were idiots. It is a regime prepared to do one-sided favours for South American agents in the face of opposition from their manager, a man brought back to Tyneside because of his feel for the club.

There are those who still feel betrayed by Keegan for walking away. Their argument is that if he truly loved Newcastle, he would have stuck it out, seen the job through. But that argument can be reversed. Keegan’s job was to manage the club, he had been informed repeatedly that he was responsible for transfers, and if he had accepted other people’s signings it would have been dishonest, to himself and fans, as well as stupid.

Boardroom influence over transfers at St James’ Park precedes Ashley. Sir Bobby Robson used to complain that a certain agent was effectively “chief scout” at Newcastle and both he and Graeme Souness went along with the odd signing they did not particularly want; I know that, because they told me at the time. Sir Bobby was too loyal to air his grievances but, ultimately, it did neither man any good.

Keegan has always been a more emotive character. In his first spell on Gallowgate, he used his popularity to lever more funds out of his directors and creative tension can be positive. But under Ashley he was being asked to sanction the inferior, to accept things he knew was wrong after being duped or misled about his terms of reference. Selling James Milner, signing Gonzalez; the responsibility would have been portrayed as his.

Keegan did what too few people in public life are prepared to do. He did not hang on for the sack and a pay-off. He gave something up because the conditions were intolerable and because staying on would have ensnared him in a lie. His claim for compensation was badly advised, but if Keegan had not brought his case, some extraordinary facts would not have been confirmed.

With him or without him, Ashley’s Newcastle were doomed. Examine the evidence: he bought it without conducting due diligence; he spoke about the long-term and then sacked Sam Allardyce; he pandered to sentiment and then undermined Keegan; he appointed Joe Kinnear once and would have done so again; he hired Alan Shearer, claimed it was his best decision and then left him dangling. It hurts, but Keegan did the right thing.

We can only hope that Ashley finally takes a similar course. He now has a decision to make after Barry Moat’s consortium submitted a formal bid for the club and he must be aware that rapprochement at Newcastle is not possible. His departure is long, long overdue. In the meantime, the Newcastle United Supporters Trust will on Wednesday launch plans to buy a stake in the club. The lesson of the last two years: be careful what you wish for.