Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Craig Levein, discussing why Arteta can't play for England, on attempting to get Shola to play for Scotland:

"The way I understand it, the home associations have an agreement," said Levein. "I'll tell you how I know. I tried to get Shola Ameobi at Newcastle a while back [to play for Scotland], because he has not played for England but has lived in the UK and has a British passport, so I thought he might be able to play for Scotland. But we had changed the rules."

Levein described the rule as "more than a gentlemen's agreement", adding: "Maybe England are thinking of challenging it but it only came in a year ago.

"I just used Ameobi as an example because he was somebody who had a British passport but it fell down because he didn't have the educational qualification. I understand that it's a newsworthy story but I don't want to go into enormous detail about Arteta. All I'm saying to you is, the way I understand it, they can't cap him."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/30/scotlandfootballteam-craig-levein

I wonder who was next if Kinnear turned the job down? Another "remember the 90's?" appointment, doubtless.

George Graham had to be in with a shout.

Dave Bassett is the one I always consider.

There is really only a small group of English footballers that I truly like and admire. Owen Hargreaves and Dean Ashton were two of these players. It is an absolute shame what has happened to their careers. Reminds of one of my favourite recent Nigerian players, Christoan Obodo. He's finally made his comeback (though it is in Serie B, and he'll likely never reach his old levels), but it seems there will be no such luck for these two. May they be successful in their future endeavours.

I wonder who was next if Kinnear turned the job down? Another "remember the 90's?" appointment, doubtless.

I heard an interview with him fairly recently where he said Newcastle was the one job he really wanted.

when is our team photograph normally taken?

2007, it was after the transfer window ended iirc.

2008, because of the Keegan chaos it was long way into the season - with Joe Kinnear on it.

2009, it was a long way into the season because we didn't have a manager.

I expect it to be taken in the next few days now. Obviously we were still wating for Ben Arfa and for all the players to be confirmed to be here till at least January.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

'arry and George Graham managing at the same time, same league. The dealings that would go on.

Was  :harry: managing in the PL when GG was at spuds?

West Ham?

Guest neesy111

I heard an interview with him fairly recently where he said Newcastle was the one job he really wanted.

Would of kept us up tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

Would of kept us up tbh.

HAVE

when is our team photograph normally taken?

2007, it was after the transfer window ended iirc.

2008, because of the Keegan chaos it was long way into the season - with Joe Kinnear on it.

2009, it was a long way into the season because we didn't have a manager.

I expect it to be taken in the next few days now. Obviously we were still wating for Ben Arfa and for all the players to be confirmed to be here till at least January.

cheers

Every player to play in the first World Cup is now officially dead. The last one, Varallo Francisco of Argentina, died today aged 100.

Morientes has retired from football. He still had offers from Dubai/Qatar and even Sporting CP but we'll become a pundit for the Spanish TV (joy).

I'm pretty sure he was retired last season as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Every player to play in the first World Cup is now officially dead. The last one, Varallo Francisco of Argentina, died today aged 100.

Opposed to?

Nigerian D.O.B.