Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Guest palnese

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1250236/Steven-Gerrard-Liverpool-captain-England-international--serial-diver.html

I don't think there's anything worse than a player diving when no one's been anywhere near him. It does ruin the game.

I'm sure you agree, but you wouldn't be agreeing with me. They are the words of Steven Gerrard, England midfielder, Liverpool's captain and a player who demonstrated his ability to go to ground all too easily again against Arsenal on Wednesday night.

Times may be hard over at Anfield just now - the dysfunctional board, no sign of the promised new stadium and continued underachievement on the pitch. But all that is no excuse for his behaviour.

Granted, the chase for three points hasn't been felt so acutely since Liverpool finished fifth back in 2005.

But has a player, who personifies so much that is right with football, become so desperate to win that he will sacrifice his so-called values to gain a slender advantage?

Gerrard hasn't shirked his responsibilities on the field - he never has - and he remains one of the finest midfielders of his generation.

But what can only be described as his blatant diving at the Emirates last night was embarrassing for him and the club he loves so dearly.

On two separate occasions - at Arsenal and in the tempestuous Merseyside derby at the weekend - Gerrard hit the deck without the clattering challenges or blatant fouls that would have deemed his tumbles legal.

And on each occasion, he was straight on to his feet, remonstrating with the referee as we watched replays showing his falls.

Yet, this is no flash in the pan. Gerrard has previous: from the dubious penalty he won for England against Hungary in 2006 to the trailing leg 'foul' when he tried to win a penalty against Blackburn.

There were apparent dives against Portugal, Andorra, Sheffield United, Chelsea, Marseille. The list goes on.

Sportsmail launched the No Diving campaign this season in an attempt to combat the cheats. When we asked you to name and shame the divers, Gerrard was one of the Premier League players who kept cropping up.

Search on YouTube and you can see that plenty of irate fans have posted examples of his misdemeanors.

Gerrard once said: 'If I saw one of my team-mates diving, I would definitely have a word.' Well, maybe its time that one of his team-mates and great friends, Jamie Carragher, put an arm round his captain's shoulder to remind him of his responsibilties.

Responsibilites that come with wearing the armband for Liverpool, being an icon to thousands of young fans, an international footballer and as the guardian of his own reputation - to not let his Bambi-on-ice impressions tarnish his illustrious career.

Captain Fantastic.

Are you reading Andy Gray?

Sven's such an overrated international manager. It reminds me of Javi Clemente, broke all the records in qualification coasting against poor opposition, did f*** all when the real thing came around.

Ridiculous statements! Sven was brilliant at club level, and led England to one of its more successful periods in its history. In 2002, they gave Brazil its hardest test, and they went out on penalties in 2006. Mexico was disasterous, but he's done well everywhere else.

Sven's such an overrated international manager. It reminds me of Javi Clemente, broke all the records in qualification coasting against poor opposition, did f*** all when the real thing came around.

Ridiculous statements! Sven was brilliant at club level, and led England to one of its more successful periods in its history. In 2002, they gave Brazil its hardest test, and they went out on penalties in 2006. Mexico was disasterous, but he's done well everywhere else.

I expressly said "international" level. Always thought he's a great club manager (or rather, DoF). I don't think he does anything special for an international side.

Hunchback gets whacked:

CRAIG Bellamy was caked in blood after his face was pummelled outside a nightclub.

A Man United fan battered the Man City striker splitting his head open and sending him flying. The 6ft 2in attacker - built like a rugby player - continued pounding 5ft 9in Bellamy as he lay sprawled on the ground. The man fled before cops arrived at trendy Panacea club in Alderley Edge, Cheshire.

An onlooker said: "The guy hit Bellamy five or six times. He pummelled him in the face."

Bellamy, 30, refused to press charges and was driven off in a Rolls Royce. He was pictured yesterday with a black eye and cut face. The Welsh international had been out with his team-mate Wayne Bridge after a 2-1 defeat against Hull on Saturday last week.

Bridge, whose ex Vanessa Perroncel had a fling with Chelsea's John Terry, was not involved.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00092/craig_01_1302_92280a.jpg

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/727623/PUMMELLED-BELLAMY-CAKED-IN-BLOOD-Man-City-striker-Craig-Bellamy-attacked-by-Man-United-fan.html

Ashley sets up new long-term transfer strategy

NEWCASTLE have introduced a new long-term transfer strategy aimed at bringing extra youth – and value – to their squad.

The Sunday Sun understands that United applied strict fresh criteria to their transfer business in January, vetoing any full-time signings over the age of 26.

Coupled with a new wage ceiling imposed by owner Mike Ashley, the change in policy confirms the end of trophy signings at St James’ Park.

All of the Magpies’ four buys last month were in their early or mid-20s, with 29-year-old Fitz Hall only arriving on loan.

And Newcastle turned down the chance to buy Birmingham City’s Geordie centre-half Martin Taylor because he is 30.

Agents and clubs were told at the start of the transfer window that United would no longer pay wages of more than £15,000 a week and were only interested in permanent deals for players with their best years ahead of them.

This represents a sea change in attitude from the days when Newcastle would routinely outbid rival clubs – and outdo their wage offers – to land established, high-profile players, some of whom remain at St James’ Park on big money.

One agent said: “Newcastle say they are fed up with paying big money to players at or around the 30 mark, and are cutting their cloth accordingly.

“It’s all change from the days when clubs and players could rely on getting big money if Newcastle came in for them.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/2010/02/14/ashley-sets-up-new-long-term-transfer-strategy-79310-25830790/

Hunchback gets whacked:

CRAIG Bellamy was caked in blood after his face was pummelled outside a nightclub.

A Man United fan battered the Man City striker splitting his head open and sending him flying. The 6ft 2in attacker - built like a rugby player - continued pounding 5ft 9in Bellamy as he lay sprawled on the ground. The man fled before cops arrived at trendy Panacea club in Alderley Edge, Cheshire.

An onlooker said: "The guy hit Bellamy five or six times. He pummelled him in the face."

Bellamy, 30, refused to press charges and was driven off in a Rolls Royce. He was pictured yesterday with a black eye and cut face. The Welsh international had been out with his team-mate Wayne Bridge after a 2-1 defeat against Hull on Saturday last week.

Bridge, whose ex Vanessa Perroncel had a fling with Chelsea's John Terry, was not involved.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00092/craig_01_1302_92280a.jpg

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/727623/PUMMELLED-BELLAMY-CAKED-IN-BLOOD-Man-City-striker-Craig-Bellamy-attacked-by-Man-United-fan.html

No-one deserves that but.....

To be fair he qualified it by saying some Newcastle fans were just as bad, but he's pretty maddened by the the number of crazed and deluded Spurs forumites.

Not just on the net - theres a black lad who used to be frequently on the fans forums on TV or whatever they were called on SoccerAM and he used to go on and on about Spuds with the enthusiasm of a bulging eyed religous nutcase, and how the Spurs v Arsenal derby was "one of the greatest derbies in the world, on a par with Celtic v Rangers, how everyone in Britain and Europe followed it" etc etc etc ad naseum, and even the Arsenal fan was embarrassed and tried to wind him back without success.

But both couldn't believe when told by other fans - in this case, a Blackburn fan, a Sunderlnad fan and a Celtic fan that no-one outside of London are that bothered about their derby, no more than any other derby at any time.

This was several years ago, and they seem to be no more sane than then !

I expressly said "international" level. Always thought he's a great club manager (or rather, DoF). I don't think he does anything special for an international side.

2002 he was beaten by a freak goal to the champions, 2004 he was beaten on penalties to the hosts, and 2006 on pens to the same oppostion having played a large part with 10-men. For all his critics, Sven was very unlucky as England manager imo.

Hunchback gets whacked:

;D

Bent: Why I had to quit Twitter

DARREN BENT has quit Twitter to focus on Sunderland's relegation battle.

The Black Cats and England striker was a regular user of the social networking site.

But he has decided to concentrate on helping the club end a three-month wait for a win.

Bent, 26, said: "I had a good chat with the manager recently.

"I just thought, with the run we're on at the moment, I needed to get rid of the distractions.

"I have to solely focus on getting Sunderland out of the relegation battle and I have shut the Twitter down.

"I don't even go on it any more to look at what other people are posting.

"My friends are still on there and they keep me up to date, but I felt for me, it's run its course and I should get out of it.

"I've not stepped back because of anything that's been said on Twitter to me or about me.

"People were writing stories in the papers about me from what I put on Twitter. There was a lot made of it.

"It became a distraction I didn't need. I thought I would fully concentrate on the football."

Bent caused controversy when he used Twitter to vent his frustration at Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over his protracted move to the North East.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is delighted with Bent's decision.

He added: "When things aren't going too well for your team especially, it's a good thing to be seen to be focusing entirely on your football."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2857737/Darren-Bent-quits-Twitter.html#ixzz0fo6dHM5n

:laugh:

Don't know if it's been discussed somewhere, but why the hell is Kenwyne Jones linked so much to Liverpool? It could be crap, but lets assume it's real interest.

From what I've seen of Kenwyne Jones he has a bit of pace and strength.  He makes fairly average runs for a Premiership forward and his goal scoring is a bit below average imo.  Surely he is nowhere near good enough for a team pushing for a top 4 finish and Champions League football? He's scored around 7 goals in 25 games this season, that's not the sign of great finisher.  He's 25 years old so no spring chicken.  If he was 21 I'd say he had good potential. 

So why the hell do Liverpool keep getting linked with him? if they do want him then is Rafa totally stupid at times? The fee's of up to £14m going about for him are incredible.  He's also played 30 games for his country and scored 2.  Another example of a poor return for a player that should be hitting his peak over the next 4 years.

What does everyone else think of him? I see him as a player that would be useful at a club in the bottom half of the Premiership, nothing more.  If Liverpool do sign him and it's more than £7m I will piss myself laughing.  The mates I have who are Liverpool fans all can't understand why he is linked so much, they think similar to me about him.

What's your thoughts?