Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/13830342.stm

Great Britain Olympic football team agreement close

The British Olympic Association (BOA) is close to an agreement to enter a British football team at London 2012.

BOA chief executive Andy Hunt said he is "incredibly positive that we will get a [british] men's and women's football team" at the Olympics.

Hunt told Inside the Games there remain "some final things to resolve."

But a Scottish Football Association spokesman said: "Our position hasn't changed and, as far as we're concerned, the status quo will remain."

The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish Football Associations have expressed opposition about such a team but cannot legally stop players competing.

"Legally, we couldn't stand in any player's way if it was their wish, nor would we stand in their way if that's what they wanted," added the SFA spokesman. "But, when the players were asked about it during our preparations for the friendly with Brazil in March, not one noted an interest."

An English-only football team may also be in breach of International Olympic Committee rules on discrimination, Hunt warned.

The non-English FAs have been hesitant over plans for a British football team.

They expressed concerns that it could lead to the formation of a permanent British side and that they might lose their representation on the International FA board.

The BOA has left management of the GB team with the English FA and it appears likely that the bulk of the squad will be formed by the current England Under-21s.

But if agreement is reached then a British team at the 2012 Games could include Wales internationals Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale, while older players could also feature.

Olympic football squads are allowed three players over the age of 23.

David Beckham has already shown his willingnessbacked a British Olympic football team for 2012 and said that he would "love to be part of it".

Who could make team GB?

A selection of players (excluding those from England) who are eligible for the Olympics squad as they are under 23 in summer 2012

Grant Hanley, defender, Blackburn and Scotland

Danny Wilson, defender, Liverpool and Scotland

Neil Taylor, defender, Swansea and Wales

Johnny Gorman, midfielder, Wolves and Northern Ireland

Corry Evans, midfielder, Man Utd and Northern Ireland

Oliver Norwood, midfielder, Man Utd and Northern Ireland

Barry Bannan, midfielder, Aston Villa and Scotland

James Forrest, midfielder, Celtic and Scotland

Gareth Bale, midfielder, Spurs and Wales

Joe Allen, midfielder, Swansea and Wales

Aaron Ramsey, midfielder, Arsenal and Wales

Liam Boyce, forward, Werder Bremen and Northern Ireland

Sam Vokes, forward, Wolves and Wales

Fucking mong.

http://t.co/IGtGn0a

Hardly a massive, controversial statement.

Edit: Just listened to it!  :lol: :lol:

:lol: That's fucking brilliant. I'm not a general fan of Talkshite, but yeah, I couldn't have contained myself with a caller like that :lol: Surprised the caller even tried to stay on the line and defend himself, I would've been so embarrassed and hung the fuck up. :lol:

With us not having a "Daft questions" thread the the football section... What's the deal with the Scottish national side supporters?  While England are or were notorious for not being able to go anywhere without wrecking the place, Scotland fans are welcome pretty much anywhere and seem to have a great time wherever they go.  How does that fit in with 90% of Scottish football fans following either Rangers or Celtic and wanting to bray the fuck out of each other for the rest of the year?  There were a fuckload of Scotland fans in Newcastle yesterday (why, I have no idea), packing a metro platform, and some of them wearing tartan and the odd Celtic top were singing "We'll be coming down the road", which another group joined in with.  Then the second group started a chant of "Big Jock Sex Offender" but it never seemed to kick off and the next song they were all singing together again.

Is it that the protestants and catholics are able to put aside their differences to support the national team?  Or is it that Rangers fans want to be English and Celtic fans want to be Irish and that leaves Kilmarnock and Hibs fans attending the national games?

I know it makes a change, but I'm not being facetious for the sake of it, I genuinely don't understand how it works, educate me :lol:

I worked with a bunch of Glasgow lads in the Isle of Skye many years ago. Supported both Rangers and Celtic, couple of them were best mates. They'd always take the piss out of each other but really friendly banter, until it came to an Old Firm game. Then they got really serious, they'd even travel down together at opposite ends of the train because they'd get to beating seven bells out of each other if they didn't. (and they had in the past come to blows many times, a day or two later they'd just grin sheepishly at each other and get back to being mates.)

So, I guess in most cases, all the differences are put aside as trivialities until certain times of the year. Not just football games either, certain dates in their respective religous calenders to a lesser degree can bring out the antagonism.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/17/heysel-stadium-disaster-novel-to-be-made-into-film-100252-28708940/

A NOVEL about the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster in which 39 football fans died is being made into a film.

Hundreds of people were injured when a wall collapsed at the stadium in Brussels, Belgium, after fighting between rival fans before the European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

The aftermath saw English clubs banned from European competition for five years, with Liverpool serving an extra year’s suspension.

The film is based on the novel In the Crowd, by French author Laurent Mauvignier which follows fans from England, Belgium, France and Italy on the day of the game.

Jean Baptiste Babin, from BackUp Films, told Screen magazine the story was “very strong in terms of European identity”.

It will be directed by French film-maker Jean Stephane Sauvaire whose last film, Johnny Mad Dog in 2008, was about child soldiers in Africa.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/17/heysel-stadium-disaster-novel-to-be-made-into-film-100252-28708940/#ixzz1Pl2IYxsb

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/17/heysel-stadium-disaster-novel-to-be-made-into-film-100252-28708940/

A NOVEL about the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster in which 39 football fans died is being made into a film.

Hundreds of people were injured when a wall collapsed at the stadium in Brussels, Belgium, after fighting between rival fans before the European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

The aftermath saw English clubs banned from European competition for five years, with Liverpool serving an extra years suspension.

The film is based on the novel In the Crowd, by French author Laurent Mauvignier which follows fans from England, Belgium, France and Italy on the day of the game.

Jean Baptiste Babin, from BackUp Films, told Screen magazine the story was very strong in terms of European identity.

It will be directed by French film-maker Jean Stephane Sauvaire whose last film, Johnny Mad Dog in 2008, was about child soldiers in Africa.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/17/heysel-stadium-disaster-novel-to-be-made-into-film-100252-28708940/#ixzz1Pl2IYxsb

One reference of LFC causing the disaster, will result in calls for Boycotts and justice.

Guest andyburn

Back in the day...I remember going to Durham to watch Keegan's side train, hundreds of kids there, friendly atmosphere etc.  With no home games planned before the season, the kids of today are being left out of any sort of contact with the payers as for many the cost of going to a league game is prohibitive .  We have games in the US, as well as at Leeds and Darlo, so why no home games?

Guest WashyGeordie

Back in the day...I remember going to Durham to watch Keegan's side train, hundreds of kids there, friendly atmosphere etc.  With no home games planned before the season, the kids of today are being left out of any sort of contact with the payers as for many the cost of going to a league game is prohibitive .  We have games in the US, as well as at Leeds and Darlo, so why no home games?

2011/12:

Pre-season home

game anticipated 

Having confirmed a trio of friendly fixtures in the USA plus visits to both Darlington and Leeds United, Newcastle's pre-season preparations are set to include a home game.

At present, the club has no game scheduled for the first weekend in August - a week before the Premier League season begins - and it's understood that talks are ongoing to bring an overseas side to SJP on Saturday August 6th.

Claims appeared in the Italian press that Fiorentina would visit England for games against Everton and United in early August, but the Toffees have now confirmed the visit of Spanish side Villarreal to Goodison on Friday August 5th.

.com.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/253854/Steve-McClaren-I-want-Colin-Calderwood?

Calderwood might be returning to Forest as AssMan. So he left the same position here to be a manager and is now sacrificing that to be 2nd in line at a Championship club? That's weird.

He's a s**** manager though.

O0

He was highly thought of as a coach at Spurs, they were sorry to see him go when he took his first managerial position at Northampton.

Chelsea set to appoint Andre Villas-Boas as new manager according to BBC.

I became much more fond of Villas Boas when I read this quote from him: "I see myself much more in the image of Bobby Robson than Mourinho. Like him I've got English heritage, I've got a big nose and I like red wine."

Only just discovered Andy Marshall is Villa's third choice 'keeper. He was a liability in the Championship ten years ago ffs :lol: Surely that spot's better given to a youngster or something?

Only just discovered Andy Marshall is Villa's third choice 'keeper. He was a liability in the Championship ten years ago ffs :lol: Surely that spot's better given to a youngster or something?

Second choice as it stands  :laugh: