Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

We should have a poll on what was more embarrasisng

(1) NUST's press releases

(2) The golf course dossier

(2) would win by a country mile.

On the whole the NUST have been organised, earnest and effective.  This is clearly a mis-step but it's a long term, well backed campaign amongst fans and the media.  Such clangers hurt them all the more having built up the level of momentum they have exactly because they're a far more well publicised and organised group than whoever knocked up the pamphlet on powerpoint that no-one outside of a couple of message boards has any clue about.

The latest in a long line to be fair.

On the whole the NUST have been organised, earnest and effective.  This is clearly a mis-step but it's a long term, well backed campaign amongst fans and the media.  Such clangers hurt them all the more having built up the level of momentum they have exactly because they're a far more well publicised and organised group than whoever knocked up the pamphlet on powerpoint that no-one outside of a couple of message boards has any clue about.

Do they have your support still, and more importantly your money if they make a bid?

In what way have they been "effective"?

The latest in a long line to be fair.

And still they keep going.

Like the previous mistakes, I'm sure this one will not lose them all credibility as so many seem eager to insist will be the case. 

Lots of  impatient fans who insist on things being perfect immediately will hoy their toys out the pram and denigrate what has been the most succesful enlistment of fans into a single collective voice in my lifetime.  But there are too many fans that realise if it falls apart it's a wasted opportunity that nobody else will feel compelled to try again because there are too many naysayers.

The NUST is what everyone was crying out for for years so they won't call it a day because of one badly worded statement amongst many.

Do they have your support still, and more importantly your money if they make a bid?

I've paid my membership and pledged nothing else because i don't agree with making a bid to buy the club.

They still have my unwavering support though.  They're Newcastle fans.  I'll say when i don't agree with something.  i won't call the entire endeavour flawed and insist a stop be put to it.  You'd have to be a mackem to do that.

In what way have they been "effective"?

They're the fastst growing trust in the UK.

My biggest question is how the club will be funded over the medium-long term if supporters take over. I still can't get my head around it... surely we need someone prepared to subsidise significant losses until we're promoted and re-established.

Personally, I think the proposed fan buyout is more of an effort to call Ashley's bluff than it is to actually buy the club without an individual figurehead guranteeing ongoing running costs.

My biggest question is how the club will be funded over the medium-long term if supporters take over. I still can't get my head around it... surely we need someone prepared to subsidise significant losses until we're promoted and re-established.

easy when your making £7m a month profit without covering all advertising streams :)

I've paid my membership and pledged nothing else because i don't agree with making a bid to buy the club.

They still have my unwavering support though.  They're Newcastle fans.  I'll say when i don't agree with something.  i won't call the entire endeavour flawed and insist a stop be put to it.  You'd have to be a mackem to do that.

To me a Supporters Trust which has access to the board on scheduled, regular occaisions to discuss certain aspects of the club (not including transfers, management etc) could only be a good thing. The NUST isn't this model though (imo obviously). Buying the club this way was never going to work within English Football (for better or worse) and nothing which they have done/said in relation to the campaign has strengthened the appeal of the trust to me. They started off like a couple of piss heads in a pub, got better, but now have slipped back to appearing to be a key stone cops type organisation (again this is my perception obviously).

I don't have to be a Mackem to state that this Trust has failed at present

:lol:

Leaving aside the fact that they've just proved they're either incapable of understanding the club's finances or else trying to play people for suckers, you're giving a group your "unwavering support" even though you disagree with their principal aim?

So if you don't agree (partly) with them you are a mackem? Well done, that'll get them in. I don't know where people get this opinion that the members are deluded and up their own arse from.

Personally, I think the proposed fan buyout is more of an effort to call Ashley's bluff than it is to actually buy the club without an individual figurehead guranteeing ongoing running costs.

What they want him to come out and say the clubs making a loss ? Surely it's common knowledge in this league that we're making a loss which is why he's still having to put £20m a season in to cover those costs.

To me a Supporters Trust which has access to the board on scheduled, regular occaisions to discuss certain aspects of the club (not including transfers, management etc) could only be a good thing. The NUST isn't this model though (imo obviously). Buying the club this way was never going to work within English Football (for better or worse) and nothing which they have done/said in relation to the campaign has strengthened the appeal of the trust to me. They started off like a couple of piss heads in a pub, got better, but now have slipped back to appearing to be a key stone cops type organisation (again this is my perception obviously).

You don't, and I never said you would.  I said only a mackem would insist they wrap it all up.

What have been the biggest failures for you?  You seem to be suggesting it was a failure from day 1 and will be until it succeeds.  It won't be a failure in my opinion until they lose the financial support of fans and therefore run out of money to keep campaigning

The "Yes We can" campaign is only 8 weeks old and only started because of the refusal from the club to give the fans the recognition that you say would be your aim.  How else would you go about achieving that?

You don't, and I never said you would.  I said only a mackem would insist they wrap it all up.

What have been the biggest failures for you?  You seem to be suggesting it was a failure from day 1 and will be until it succeeds.  It won't be a failure in my opinion until they lose the financial support of fans and therefore run out of money to keep campaigning

The "Yes We can" campaign is only 8 weeks old and only started because of the refusal from the club to give the fans the recognition that you say would be your aim.  How else would you go about achieving that?

I'm not going to trawl back and pick up every early example of mis-information which has come out of the press rooms of NUST, its just that the tone of what was released early doors was very childish and made the Trust appear to be nothing more than a one trick 'Ashley Out' protest group. If you were MA or DL would you encourage such a group to engage in discussions on the direction/activites of the club? A bit like Osama Bin Laden inviting Bush and Blair around for tea.

:lol:

Leaving aside the fact that they've just proved they're either incapable of understanding the club's finances or else trying to play people for suckers, you're giving a group your "unwavering support" even though you disagree with their principal aim?

Do you have an alternative pressure group that's targeting Mike Ashley and looking to get the fans recognised?

The buyout is not their principle aim.  It's the best option left.

So if you don't agree (partly) with them you are a mackem? Well done, that'll get them in. I don't know where people get this opinion that the members are deluded and up their own arse from.

I thought you were on board with them until this statement came out.

We have a supporters trust growing faster than any in the country.  I don't see how that can be a bad thing for the club whatever campaign is currently being run and i can't see why any Newcastle fan would prefer that endeavour to end.

What they want him to come out and say the clubs making a loss ? Surely it's common knowledge in this league that we're making a loss which is why he's still having to put £20m a season in to cover those costs.

No.

Call his bluff on selling.  There's been several offers for the club and Ashley has not been able to negotiate those offers (that reach up to £200m) into a sale despite all his talk of being eager to go.

I thought you were on board with them until this statement came out.

We have a supporters trust growing faster than any in the country.  I don't see how that can be a bad thing for the club whatever campaign is currently being run and i can't see why any Newcastle fan would prefer that endeavour to end.

I was 50-50, its a nice idea like winning the lottery, i stand very little chance but i play it every week. Their campaign started rough, something out of shear frustration and passion and has slowly moulded in to something more reputable, good for them, though they stand no chance of making a bid never mind it getting accepted.

TBF to them its shaping up better than the Manu fans against the Glazers, which was comical, but if the thing wrapped up tomorrow it would make the same amount of difference if it carried on until Ashley left the club and when it does happen they'll have no say in it whatsoever (unfortunately)

The only time we effected Ashley as supporters is when we protested, he instantly listed the club and spat his dummy, and where you could say the sale of it and the mess began.

I personally don't think calling people mackems for not supporting them or the idea is going to help the cause, especially a cause with so many flaws, and an idea which began so amateurish it was ridiculed by the majority of fans. Their image leaves a lot to be desired from the last lot of hiccups,  while this one goes right back to the amateur roots of the start and with something we want addressing so clearly, the finances, it was the wrong subject to blindfully pin the tail on the donkey.

I'm not going to trawl back and pick up every early example of mis-information which has come out of the press rooms of NUST, its just that the tone of what was released early doors was very childish and made the Trust appear to be nothing more than a one trick 'Ashley Out' protest group. If you were MA or DL would you encourage such a group to engage in discussions on the direction/activites of the club? A bit like Osama Bin Laden inviting Bush and Blair around for tea.

Not really.  Bush & Blair never wanted the same thing as Bin Laden.

Don't we all want success for Newcastle United?

You'd have thought Ashley would bend over backwards to keep his customers happy.  You don't walk on egg shells with the manager at Argos when the widescreen telly he sold you blew up after a week.

Guest michaelfoster

think the thread needs a title change

NUSt launch "Yes We Can if we had half a brain between us" Campaign to buy the club

think the thread needs a title change

NUSt launch "Yes We Can if we had half a brain between us" Campaign to buy the club

Why don't you offer to get involved at the top level?

Seriously.  They'd be over the moon to have any assistance people can give.

There were a number of offers but none of those offers provided evidence that they had the cash behind it. To be fair to Ashley  :kasper: he said the club was for sale, he instructed his lawyers to do it, and he dropped the price to a reasonable level in the circumstances at £80m. Not one buyer came forward who had the money available.

Now its fairly clear that the club won't be sold until the summer - why the hell would you sell something now for £80m or so, when you could quite easily get close to £150m if you hang on for 4/5 months?

Whilst great in principle, the economics of the whole NUST aim to buy the club has heavily flawed for many different reasons; the current economy, the demographic of many NUFC fans, the fact that rich Arabs and Russians have pushed all prices up in football, lack of any return shown by all but a few football clubs etc.

NUST should stick to trying to establish some credibility, getting as many members as possible, and set as its long term goal raising enough pledges to get a nominal stake in the club with some sort of representative voice at board level.