Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Has anyone posted Harper's opinion on what the Newcastle XI would be worth in today's money? It's not really based on an awful lot like, but it's quite funny to see that Rob Lee, despite having been retired for like 10 years, is still ridiculously under-rated. On equal footing in value as Fellaini apparently. Absolutely no chance.

Rob Lee is one of the best midfielders I've seen at the club, others have had more skill but I can't think of any that is a better all round player when you consider cost, goals and number of games played.

Rob Lee was absolutely exceptional.  He really should have got more caps for England really.  I loved the way he adapted his game under Robson as well.

He wasn't too shabby under Sir Bobby, especially for a player who was written off and not given a squad number.

Shows how much of a clueless cunt Gullit really was. I'd say Bobby Lee is the best midfielder we've had in my lifetime .

Has anyone posted Harper's opinion on what the Newcastle XI would be worth in today's money? It's not really based on an awful lot like, but it's quite funny to see that Rob Lee, despite having been retired for like 10 years, is still ridiculously under-rated. On equal footing in value as Fellaini apparently. Absolutely no chance.

Rob Lee is one of the best midfielders I've seen at the club, others have had more skill but I can't think of any that is a better all round player when you consider cost, goals and number of games played.

Rob Lee was absolutely exceptional.  He really should have got more caps for England really.  I loved the way he adapted his game under Robson as well.

He wasn't too shabby under Sir Bobby, especially for a player who was written off and not given a squad number.

Shows how much of a clueless cunt Gullit really was. I'd say Bobby Lee is the best midfielder we've had in my lifetime .

Best all round I'd agree.

Guest firetotheworks

Looking back at that season man. I remember people then and people now saying that Ruel Fox wasn't good enough. He scored 12 goals from the wings ffs. If that's not good enough...

Rob Lee is easily the best midfielder we've had in my lifetime, my 2nd favourite player after Shearer (well joint with Beardsley 2nd). Great player. I have to bite my tongue when I see people name their best Newcastle' team of the lifetime and they don't include him. I loved Gary Speed as a player and a man but I never understand people who think he was a better player than Lee. No chance.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, although I think Speed and Lee had a few traits in common and I think Speed was maybe better in the air and maybe more vocal, that's where it ends. Rob Lee was the epitome of the all rounder. I think if he was playing now, he could have been moulded into more of a Lampard-style goalscoring midfielder. As it was he still got a fair share of goals most seasons, but was good at getting back and helping out as well.

Shows how much of a clueless c*** Gullit really was. I'd say Bobby Lee is the best midfielder we've had in my lifetime .

The squad number thing was ridiculous. Who was the alternative that season? I know Hamann & Speed kept him out (I think) back end of the 98/99 season but the start of the next season we only really had Speed & Dyer?

Rob Lee is easily the best midfielder we've had in my lifetime, my 2nd favourite player after Shearer (well joint with Beardsley 2nd). Great player. I have to bite my tongue when I see people name their best Newcastle' team of the lifetime and they don't include him. I loved Gary Speed as a player and a man but I never understand people who think he was a better player than Lee. No chance.

Speed was underrated though, whereas I think everyone always knew what a class act Lee was.  When Speed played for us, he used to get a fair bit of stick from the crowd.  I am sure a lot of the people who used to do it would never admit to it now given the tragic circumstances.

Guest Geordiesned

just thinking, who would sunderland choose for an 11 of past heroes? philips, quinn....erm.....danny dichio?

Lee Clark?  :indi:

Guest firetotheworks

I knew a man that reckoned Arca would 'start for any team in the world'

What sport was he talking about?

Fewtee

Aye, I've went overboard there like.

Guest firetotheworks

I knew a man that reckoned Arca would 'start for any team in the world'

They loved Julio Arca man :lol:

It was his straight face after our hysterical laughter that made it all the funnier.