Newcastle vs. Doncaster - Pre-match Thread - 24/10/09 - K/O @ 15:00

ChrisMcQuillan

i'd spice up and energise the team with a few young uns in,  we are far too slow,  Donny may not be one of the better teams but the are supposedly renowned to be one of the best "footballing" sides in the league,  if Smith is replaced  by the likes of Butt or Geremi i can see them passing us off the pitch i they knock it around for fun.

i'd go with the following................(never happen mind!)

HARPER

SIMPSON       COLO   KHIZ       JOSE

GUTHRIE     NOLAN

LUALUA         VUKCIC          JONAS

RANGER

Kids looked miles out of their dept against Peterborough, seriously one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched in my life. Their confidence was 0 to start with and was in the minus by the end, endless stray passes, misjudging the game and generally looking lost throughout.

Vuckic in paticular looked nervous as owt, there were a couple of times he tried something clever like a back heel or an incisive pass but when it didn't come off our fans just scalded him and he gradually shrank into a shell.

I was a massive advocate for playing youngsters up until that game, now I'd think it'd be best to maybe introduce them very slowly. They may very well have potential, but we have too much to risk playing them now.

Ideal for some of kids as Donnys midfield is not full of blokes who could bully them.

That was my thinking,  Donny like to play footy so could be a good team to blood a couple of the youngsters, especially at home, they'd be suited better to that game as opposed to say Sheff U the week after where they would probably get kicked off the pitch!

in reply to Kezman,  i've been to Forest & Scunny this week and there's no way Vukcic and lua can come in and play as bad as the likes of Geremi, Taylor, Jonas, Harewood, Carroll, Khiz have played this week.  They will give the team some much needed pace and energy.

Kids looked miles out of their dept against Peterborough, seriously one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched in my life. Their confidence was 0 to start with and was in the minus by the end, endless stray passes, misjudging the game and generally looking lost throughout.

Vuckic in paticular looked nervous as owt, there were a couple of times he tried something clever like a back heel or an incisive pass but when it didn't come off our fans just scalded him and he gradually shrank into a shell.

I was a massive advocate for playing youngsters up until that game, now I'd think it'd be best to maybe introduce them very slowly. They may very well have potential, but we have too much to risk playing them now.

Vuckic will only get experience when he plays, same goes for LuaLua.  If these players aren't up to this division then then we've wasted a lot of effort for nothing.  I do worry about the reaction of some of our fans when things aren't going too well but most people are supportive when it's a kid just starting out.

Vuckic will only get experience when he plays, same goes for LuaLua.  If these players aren't up to this division then then we've wasted a lot of effort for nothing.  I do worry about the reaction of some of our fans when things aren't going too well but most people are supportive when it's a kid just starting out.

To be fair i think the kids were sent to the slaughter against Peterborough,  we probably played one kid too many and didn't have the right mix.  Since then i think they've been treat poorly as the likes of Lua & Haris who had been on the bench in the few games before the cup game seem to have been dropped from the first team squad and haven't even been subs which is hardly going to help there confidence.

Vuckic will only get experience when he plays, same goes for LuaLua. If these players aren't up to this division then then we've wasted a lot of effort for nothing. I do worry about the reaction of some of our fans when things aren't going too well but most people are supportive when it's a kid just starting out.

:thup:

Kadar couldn't do much worse than Khizanishvili did last night.

Lua Lua couldn't do much worse than Geremi did last night.

Ranger/Vuckic couldn't do much worse than Carroll did last night.

Ideal for some of kids as Donnys midfield is not full of blokes who could bully them.

That was my thinking,  Donny like to play footy so could be a good team to blood a couple of the youngsters, especially at home, they'd be suited better to that game as opposed to say Sheff U the week after where they would probably get kicked off the pitch!

Your lineup is hardly Ozzie esq really. Lua Lua has had bits & bob & been around the first time for a while, same with Nile. Haris is the one who lacks few first team games under his belt. On top of that you picked plenty of experience in there as well, it is worth a punt & is reward for the lads who have been the best at U18 & reserve level.

To be fair i think the kids were sent to the slaughter against Peterborough,  we probably played one kid too many and didn't have the right mix.  Since then i think they've been treat poorly as the likes of Lua & Haris who had been on the bench in the few games before the cup game seem to have been dropped from the first team squad and haven't even been subs which is hardly going to help there confidence.

I agree about playing too many in the same game, I thought the same at the time.  Ranger seems to have had the worse treatment even though he's still in the squad, unlike some of the other kids.

I think LuaLua would do really well if given a few games because he's so direct, my only concern is that he might not get enough games to show what he can do.

I suppose, but you've got to remember the lad's only 17. He'll get playing time eventually.

Maybe playing him in the team on Saturday wouldn't be such a bad thing, a home game against a team, like has been mentioned, that wouldn't destroy him. He'd have to be the only one though, a team of experienced (urgh I hate that word) players around him would be the best to bring out his talent. The main problem at Peterborough was the ratio of youngsters to first teamers was to high to help them, and it was a mess.

The fans were the worst thing about that gamethough , I was so utterly frustrated at the simple mistakes on show but I tried to stay as supportive to the players as possible. Lots of fans were just calling them worse than shite, thick as fuck sometimes like. :idiot2:

:thup:

Kadar couldn't do much worse than Khizanishvili did last night.

Lua Lua couldn't do much worse than Geremi did last night.

Ranger/Vuckic couldn't do much worse than Carroll did last night.

Khizanishvili and Geremi are not the future of this club, one is here on loan and the other is almost certain to be away at the end of teh season so why give them games?  To be fair to Khizanishvili, I thought he played well against QPR but he seems to have dropped off since that game so I don't know what is his true standard of play.

I suppose, but you've got to remember the lad's only 17. He'll get playing time eventually.

Maybe playing him in the team on Saturday wouldn't be such a bad thing, a home game against a team, like has been mentioned, that wouldn't destroy him. He'd have to be the only one though, a team of experienced (urgh I hate that word) players around him would be the best to bring out his talent. The main problem at Peterborough was the ratio of youngsters to first teamers was to high to help them, and it was a mess.

The fans were the worst thing about that gamethough , I was so utterly frustrated at the simple mistakes on show but I tried to stay as supportive to the players as possible. Lots of fans were just calling them worse than s****, thick as f*** sometimes like. :idiot2:

I never rip into the kids as it could finish them before they've started.  The kids have been given time at home, even when they weren't that good.  Ramage and Pattison were given plenty of time to learn the game in the first team and they didn't set the world on fire.

The fans were the worst thing about that gamethough , I was so utterly frustrated at the simple mistakes on show but I tried to stay as supportive to the players as possible. Lots of fans were just calling them worse than s****, thick as f*** sometimes like. :idiot2:

I never rip into the kids as it could finish them before they've started.  The kids have been given time at home, even when they weren't that good.  Ramage and Pattison were given plenty of time to learn the game in the first team and they didn't set the world on fire.

Nope, you just offer them some words of encouragement & some of your Werther's Original. :thup:

Guest Heneage

It's a mental test for these kids really. For Lua Lua at least he should be able to take the knocks, he parties like a professional he should be able to handle the stick.

From what i've seen of Lua Lua he seem far and away our paciest, attacking minded player. I thought he was one of the better of the kids alongside Ranger in the Peterborough game and at a time when we are distinctly lacking these qualities should be given regular starts, its the the only way these players will develop and conrtibute to us getting promoted. Lua Lua in particular can get past a man and created an opening that should've have resulted in a stonewall penalty in that game. I don't subscribe to this 'they'll have their time' mentality. He deserves a shot

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

i'd spice up and energise the team with a few young uns in,  we are far too slow,  Donny may not be one of the better teams but the are supposedly renowned to be one of the best "footballing" sides in the league,  if Smith is replaced  by the likes of Butt or Geremi i can see them passing us off the pitch i they knock it around for fun.

HARPER

GUTHRIE     NOLAN

RANGER

Kevin Nolan in a holding role? Very clever.

HARPER

GUTHRIE     NOLAN

RANGER

that's not what he's done at all

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

HARPER

GUTHRIE     NOLAN

RANGER

that's not what he's done at all

I think in terms of fitness Nolan would be knackered that deep.

It's a mental test for these kids really. For Lua Lua at least he should be able to take the knocks, he parties like a professional he should be able to handle the stick.

I don't understand what that has got to do with anything. If he is 'partying hard' would his body not then be weaker due to this as he wouldn't be in peak physical condition? Or are you name dropping again because you know someone who hangs about with him?

Lua Lua        Guthrie        Jonas

Nolan        Vuckic

Ranger

looks a little better to be honest, but i'd play R Taylor on the wing before Lua Lua any day of the week.

Not that I want to turn this into another Keegan/Ashley debate but the thing is I know Keegan liked his experienced players, but I don't doubt players like Lua Lua and Vuckic would have eventually been given a chance by Keegan. Even if it was just by gradually introducing them into the setup. I think it's just a shame that most of the managers we have had since SBR don't actually appreciate footballing talent, which is evident by some of the cloggers we have in the team now.

Lua Lua        Guthrie        Jonas

Nolan         Vuckic

Ranger

looks a little better to be honest, but i'd play R Taylor on the wing before Lua Lua any day of the week.

Wouldn't grumble too much at that. Seems a definite improvement. What would you base picking Taylor on the wing for? Crossing ability?

Guest toonlass

Krul

R Taylor          Colo          Zurab          Enrique

Guthrie        Vuckik    Jonas

Nolan

Ranger                Carroll

Krul

R Taylor          Colo           Zurab           Enrique

Guthrie        Vuckik    Jonas

Nolan

Ranger                Carroll

Vuckic doesn't play that deep, or so everyone says.