Newcastle vs. Doncaster - Pre-match Thread - 24/10/09 - K/O @ 15:00

ChrisMcQuillan

I think he'll go Guthrie & Nolan with Jonas maybe on the right and *whispers so Ronaldo doesn't hear* Lovenkrands left if Taylor & Colo are still out. If one of those are back, I reckon Simpson back to full-back, R.Taylor RM, Jonas LM, Guthrie & Nolan, with two from Lovenkrands, Harewood, Ranger & Carroll up front.

Guest Roger Kint

I'd drop Guthrie when Smith and one of the centre-backs return. Will probably have to play regardless on Saturday.

I'd like to see Guthrie played in the middle of the park.

Same here, its harsh to judge his performances based on a wider role he clearly isnt suited to.

I think he'll go Guthrie & Nolan with Jonas maybe on the right and *whispers so Ronaldo doesn't hear* Lovenkrands left if Taylor & Colo are still out. If one of those are back, I reckon Simpson back to full-back, R.Taylor RM, Jonas LM, Guthrie & Nolan, with two from Lovenkrands, Harewood, Ranger & Carroll up front.

I am pretty sure that  Butt will fill in for Smith as he is the natural replacement for a defensive midfielder. Not that I agree with it but I can't see Hughton failing to pick Butt as it would be a massive snub to a senior pro, and I just don't think Hughton has the balls to do it.

Why? He's been snubbing Butt all season.

No he hasn't he's played Smith because Butt was injured at the start of the season and after playing well he didn't deserve to be dropped. That's hardly a snub, but if he fails to pick Butt when Smith's out, that clearly will be.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Reckon we'll see

Harper

Simpson    Coloccini  Khiz    Enrique

Butt

R.Taylor                              Gutierrez

Nolan

Carroll          Harewood

In all honesty it will be too hard for Hughton not to put a defensive midfield in somewhere, and Butt will start IMO.

Guest toonlass

Apparantly there are 3000 Doncaster fans coming up, they have bought out the Bamburgh Suite as well as the usual places in the Leazes Level 7.

Reckon we'll see

Harper

Simpson     Coloccini   Khiz    Enrique

Butt

Nolan

Carroll          Harewood

In all honesty it will be too hard for Hughton not to put a defensive midfield in somewhere, and Butt will start IMO.

I also think Butt will start but regardless of the result he will drop down to the bench and Smith will come in again for the next game imo.

And then I think/hope that Harewood will be on the bench and Ranger will be in.

I'd go:

------------------Harper-------------------

Simpson-----Colo-----Khiz-----Enrique

Taylor-----Nolan-----Guthrie-----Jonas

------Harewood------Lovenkrands-----

Can't see it like.

We could do with winning this one and given t he fact Guthrie is a better footballer let alone a better defensiive midfielder than Butt I'd stick him in there.

The defense picks itself while Harewood and Lovenkrands would pose two very different threats up front.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd go:

Can't see it like.

We could do with winning this one and given t he fact Guthrie is a better footballer let alone a better defensiive midfielder than Butt I'd stick him in there.

The defense picks itself while Harewood and Lovenkrands would pose two very different threats up front.

Harewood/Lovenkrands didn't work too well against Bristol City and proved largely ineffective. Both the same kind of player. I think Ranger/Lovenkrands would work the best but it will never happen. Lovenkrands will be more or less restricted to wide roles (I think it's quite believable to say Hughton signed him as a winger) and Ranger will come on more as a late sub.

I'd go:

Can't see it like.

Harewood/Lovenkrands didn't work too well against Bristol City and proved largely ineffective. Both the same kind of player. I think Ranger/Lovenkrands would work the best but it will never happen. Lovenkrands will be more or less restricted to wide roles (I think it's quite believable to say Hughton signed him as a winger) and Ranger will come on more as a late sub.

I think with Jonas on the wing and Guthrie through the middle the service into them would be a lot better but there again the way we've been playing it might be a void point anyway.

----------------Harper--------------

Simpson----Colo----Khiz----Jose

Butt----Guthrie

Marlon----------------------Jonas

Nolan

Nile

Back to my 4-5-1.

Krul

R Taylor          Colo           Zurab           Enrique

Guthrie        Vuckik    Jonas

Nolan

Ranger                Carroll

Vuckic doesn't play that deep, or so everyone says.

And he is out injured until after Christmas.

----------------Harper--------------

Simpson----Colo----Khiz----Jose

Butt----Guthrie

Marlon----------------------Jonas

Nolan

Nile

Marlon Harewood on right wing migth be the worst selections ever.

Back to my 4-5-1.

Harper

Simpson    Coloccini  Khiz    Enrique

Me

Nolan

Loven          Harewood

Change of mind.