Newcastle vs. Doncaster - Pre-match Thread - 24/10/09 - K/O @ 15:00

ChrisMcQuillan

He's a striker who's never looked any genuine goal threat

Did you even read my original post?

Carroll and Ranger may not be the most prolific scorers of all time, but when they play together and Nolan plays behind them we perform better.  Who cares if Carroll or Ranger score, if by playing together they create the space and opportunity to lay it to Nolan?

This is exactly the point I was trying to make at the start: making Carroll a scapegoat.  And when he's benched next week, and Harewood and Lovenkrands look s*** by playing in an all-new, ill-practiced formation, we'll all be after Harewood and Lovenkrands as being s***.  And then Ranger and Nolan the next week.  And then we'll all want Carroll back, cause we've blamed everyone else since. 

These players are not all s***.  They need a system to play to their strengths, and it's Hughton's job to recognise that.

With the excpetion of the Ipswich game we've looked horrific with Carroll and Ranger up font. And even in the game most agreed that Carroll was poor.

Wasn't it earlier someone said Nolan had scored 5 of his 7 goals this season behind Carroll and Ranger.  

They facilitate the team form that seems to work best.

I would take issue with us looking "horrific" with Carroll and Ranger up front, and tbh, Carroll's looked better to me all season than his alternatives.  So I don't see who'd replace him, which I wouldn't do anyway given that I think we need to stick to those tactics.

I said that Nolan had scored 5 out of 6 with 2 or more strikers on the pitch. I don't see how that relates to Andy Carroll (a striker) getting away with scoring no goals.

He's a striker who's never looked any genuine goal threat

Did you even read my original post?

Carroll and Ranger may not be the most prolific scorers of all time, but when they play together and Nolan plays behind them we perform better.  Who cares if Carroll or Ranger score, if by playing together they create the space and opportunity to lay it to Nolan?

This is exactly the point I was trying to make at the start: making Carroll a scapegoat.  And when he's benched next week, and Harewood and Lovenkrands look s*** by playing in an all-new, ill-practiced formation, we'll all be after Harewood and Lovenkrands as being s***.  And then Ranger and Nolan the next week.  And then we'll all want Carroll back, cause we've blamed everyone else since. 

These players are not all s***.  They need a system to play to their strengths, and it's Hughton's job to recognise that.

With the excpetion of the Ipswich game we've looked horrific with Carroll and Ranger up font. And even in the game most agreed that Carroll was poor.

Wasn't it earlier someone said Nolan had scored 5 of his 7 goals this season behind Carroll and Ranger.  

They facilitate the team form that seems to work best.

I would take issue with us looking "horrific" with Carroll and Ranger up front, and tbh, Carroll's looked better to me all season than his alternatives.  So I don't see who'd replace him, which I wouldn't do anyway given that I think we need to stick to those tactics.

I said that Nolan had scored 5 out of 6 with 2 or more strikers on the pitch. I don't see how that relates to Andy Carroll (a striker) getting away with scoring no goals.

Because personally, right now, I don't care who's scoring.  I think we play our best football in the 4-4-2-Diamond formation, with Nolan behind the two players I think have the best hold-up play when playing together: Carroll and Ranger.

As I cited earlier, Heskey's a striker.  Capello's not picking him for goal-scoring prowess, certainly.  He's picking him for what he sets up for Rooney.  And if we need both Ranger and Carroll to set-up Nolan or Guthrie or one another, I don't care how many they score so long as we win.

Guest Heneage

According to .com and .cock Smith is going to miss the doncaster game.

So the 7 day rule doesn't apply for the Championship? Can't say I mind, never saw the reason behind it.

To allow for the appeal process I'd imagine.

It's obvious that we need R Taylor higher up the pitch and Simpson at CB instead of Khiz

I'm sure you were saying play him rb yesterday.

FWIW, Doncaster looked good against us (Spurs) and I think had a couple of players missing. We did play a second string side, with a weird defence, but they were quick and fluid going forward. They made plenty of chances, but didn't really have a centre-forward worth the name.

I reckon that a strong centre-mid and pace on the flanks would take them apart. Smith will be missed (I presume his suspension starts Sat). Their defence looked a little shaky under pressure, tried to play the ball out most of the time which played into our hands.

Go at them hard early on, make sure whoever plays the Smith role (Guthrie?) is disciplined and try to find someone who can do a job at right wing. Ranger would be worth a start, just get him to run himself into the ground harassing their defenders.

Harper

Simpson  Zurab  Colo  Enrique

Butt

Raylor          Nolan        Jonas

Harewood  Loven

Go for it lads, lets get the goals. !

Harper

Simpson   Zurab   Colo   Enrique

Butt

Raylor           Nolan         Jonas

Harewood   Loven

Butt ahead of Guthrie?

Harper

Simpson   Zurab   Colo   Enrique

Butt

Raylor           Nolan         Jonas

Harewood   Loven

Butt ahead of Guthrie?

Yeah, Guthrie has been poor of late for me and id rather have Butt in front of the back four.

I'm hoping that we can get a win as I'm coming up for this game, and bringing the wifefor her first match. Donny are a decent side. They play passing football and can score goals, it'll be another tough one but I reckon we'll just have enough to win this one.* 2-1.

* I'm assuming nothing else goes the shape of the pear between now and saturday.

Doncaster are 18th arent they? Cant be that decent  :frantic:

In this division any team can win games, it's just that sort of league. What position were Scunny in before last night?? Donny have looked good every time I've seen them on the box, maybe they aren't as good the rest of the time but from what I have seen they always seem to move the ball quikly and fluently.

Guest Roger Kint

Doncaster are 18th arent they? Cant be that decent  :frantic:

In this division any team can win games, it's just that sort of league. What position were Scunny in before last night?? Donny have looked good every time I've seen them on the box, maybe they aren't as good the rest of the time but from what I have seen they always seem to move the ball quikly and fluently.

Never looked anything approaching decent when i seen them like, Belarus passed the ball nicely last week, didnt really help much though.

It's obvious that we need R Taylor higher up the pitch and Simpson at CB instead of Khiz

I'm sure you were saying play him rb yesterday.

Coloccini is back for this one though. And Geremi will be knackered.

Geremi shouldn't even be considered regardless, he's no better than Butt.

He's comfortable at RB though.

Simpson or Khiz will go rigth back ahead of Geremi. I don't know what you see in him now, he's finished.

I dont want him in the team either, but with Simpson needed at CB i'd consider letting Geremi sit at RB, allowing R Taylor to play RW

Geremi over Khiz ? Khiz played decent when he was at RB, i can't see Geremi offering any more than he can. Neither are a great option though.

Fjd if I know what will happen in this game..

wont be but should be

-------------------Harper

Simo-------Kishy---------Colo-------Hose

RTay------Guthrie--------Nolan-------Jonas

------------Ranger---------Loven

According to .com and .cock Smith is going to miss the doncaster game.

So the 7 day rule doesn't apply for the Championship? Can't say I mind, never saw the reason behind it.

I'm pretty sure that card was his 6th, and that the 5th ban had already been applied after the weekend.  It does take into account the 7-day rule or whatever, hence he was going to be missing Doncaster anyway.

O'Connor missed last night's game for Scunthorpe because he picked up his 5th booking at the weekend. The 7 day rule doesn't exist now.