Newcastle United 2-1 Doncaster Rovers - 24/10/09 - post match reaction from p20

PM

I think him having a go at Kadar is bang out of order. Mick Lowes also said that early on that Kadar swung in a very difficult ball from deep that was about a yard overhit, Nolan gave him the thumbs-up whilst Harewood shouted at him and flapped his arms.

I think him having a go at Kadar is bang out of order. Mick Lowes also said that early on that Kadar swung in a very difficult ball from deep that was about a yard overhit, Nolan gave him the thumbs-up whilst Harewood shouted at him and flapped his arms.

Yet when we conceded most of the heads dropped but Harewood tried to rally everyone.

Guest toonlass

Yet when we conceded most of the heads dropped but Harewood tried to rally everyone.

as did Nolan

Just back from the game. Not up much so it was a special treat to see that game! Had a bit of everything, well chuffed  :colo:

Just to let you know. You have a fucking class town and I'll be back again soon. Loved every moment of the weekend!

Coulda strangled Andy Carroll though. Nile Ranger looked tidy again, sometimes think he can't physically lose the ball, class.

Shite first half, better 2nd. Again playing poorly and winning. Our strikers, for me, arnt doing it. Is it our tactics or are they just crap?

Ranger impressed me when he came on, surely has to start the next game. Harewood should be dropped, looked lazy, ineffective and uninterested, dosetn go to say we should boo him like. Hardley going to do his confidence the world of good is it  :rolleyes:

oh and Thank fuck for Kevin Nolan. I'll be suprised if we hang onto him in january, looking very good even if he is in a shite league.

Attendance: Just under 44K. Fantastic seeing as we havn't won in 4, were playing doncaster on the back of a defeat to scunny.

Are we the only fans capable of whinging all the way to a league title? Will be interesting to find out.

Power to you if you're totally happy with everything that is going on

Edit : We wont win the league

Nah, I'm not totally happy about what's going on... especially off the pitch. But on it we're top of the league after not playing great, considering what we were expecting this season it has got to be a great position to be in.

Also, funny how people who were logging on to say this season will be a disaster and we might get relegated again can now complain because we're only just top.

We don't have good players, so to expect good performances is a bit mad IMO. Results are all that matters at the moment, nothing more will happen until the club is sold and we can rebuild.

Thinking about it, the only way some people would be happy is that if we had only perhaps lost once and drawn once, playing superior football to all around us and be 11 points clear after 14 games. 2 or 3 results away from this unrealistic ideal and we are of course s***.

To be fair if you can't see the warning signs then football ain't your game.  People were saying even during our wins that we didn't look good and knew this sticky patch would come.  We're top because half of our squad is still PL players, they may not have shown it last season but individually they are.  Unfortunately for us Hughton can't harness their talents and get the team playing well together.

I was one of those people saying that we were riding our luck, i was aware that we weren't streets ahead of the opposition and said so.

We're top because we have just enough to separate us from the rest. If you think half of our squad are premiership players then maybe football "aint" your game.

For me (and i accept we all see it differently) Enrique, Nolan, Smith, Barton, Taylor are. 2 of those are out. Colocinni, Jonas, Guthrie possibly, only one of which has shown enough this season to give me hope. The rest are shite. Oh and Harper possibly.

Are we the only fans capable of whinging all the way to a league title? Will be interesting to find out.

Power to you if you're totally happy with everything that is going on

Edit : We wont win the league

Nah, I'm not totally happy about what's going on... especially off the pitch. But on it we're top of the league after not playing great, considering what we were expecting this season it has got to be a great position to be in.

Also, funny how people who were logging on to say this season will be a disaster and we might get relegated again can now complain because we're only just top.

We don't have good players, so to expect good performances is a bit mad IMO. Results are all that matters at the moment, nothing more will happen until the club is sold and we can rebuild.

Thinking about it, the only way some people would be happy is that if we had only perhaps lost once and drawn once, playing superior football to all around us and be 11 points clear after 14 games. 2 or 3 results away from this unrealistic ideal and we are of course s***.

To be fair if you can't see the warning signs then football ain't your game.  People were saying even during our wins that we didn't look good and knew this sticky patch would come.  We're top because half of our squad is still PL players, they may not have shown it last season but individually they are.  Unfortunately for us Hughton can't harness their talents and get the team playing well together.

I was one of those people saying that we were riding our luck, i was aware that we weren't streets ahead of the opposition and said so.

We're top because we have just enough to separate us from the rest. If you think half of our squad are premiership players then maybe football "aint" your game.

For me (and i accept we all see it differently) Enrique, Nolan, Smith, Barton, Taylor are. 2 of those are out. Colocinni, Jonas, Guthrie possibly, only one of which has shown enough this season to give me hope. The rest are s****. Oh and Harper possibly.

I didn't specifically you regarding the warning signs (I meant it in the plural form), as you say you thought we were riding our luck as well.  I should have also said half of our first team, not squad, are definitely PL players in view.  You listed a fair few players yourself, I reckon most bottom half PL teams would love the likes of Colo, Jonas and Guthrie in the team.  Simpson is a good RB at championship level (and fairly solid at PL level I've heard) but just not a CB.  I even think more than a couple of PL teams would love the likes of Carroll and Ranger in their squads especially with the crap that the likes of Hull put on the pitch.

A fair few of our players last season were woeful which means some have underrated them IMO, we got relegated for the same reason we aren't setting the world alight this one i.e. the fact that we've had crap managers/no stability and as a result no teamwork, organisation or fluidity in our play.

Like you say though, we all see it differently, if we were all experts we'd all be coaches.  :aww:

Harper

S Taylor

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Nolan

Guthrie

are premiership quality, the rest aren't at this moment in time.

how come everyone is loving coliccini all of a sudden? everyone was saying he was crap last year?

Colo this season had been great and we miss him , Coolo last season was fkn shocking, no idea if its the lower league that suits him or he is just more settled, I think is still living in a fkn hotlel though that cannot be a goo sign.

Well... I must say I really enjoyed that. Another who only gets up to games a few times a year so that was pretty special, we may have played shit but I'd rather we were shit and winning rather than playing pretty stuff and losing. I think Birmingham last season looked terrible all year but managed to grind their way up, in our current predicament i'd certainly settle for that. Also don't think they have a particularly better squad than us even now (that could change after January unfortunately) and they are doing okay.

Anyhow, back to the match, was in the SJH Stand, when they scored some total hoon decided to get up and start cheering and celebrating which caused me to lose my rag somewhat, placated when the police came in and chucked him out. I mean, I totally understand people going in with home fans if they can't get an away ticket, but they have to accept that they won't be able to celebrate if their team score. Even if they accidentally let out a yelp that's almost forgivable, but to stand in with our fans and actively barack them means he deserved to be kicked out.

Thought it wasn't going to be our day, ref definitely seemed keen to be 'a part of history' and able to say he was ref the day that Doncaster won at SJP. Actually looked more gutted than most their fans when we scored, seemed to be looking around for a reason to disallow rather than immediately returning to the half way line. Nolan and Butt in CM just doesn't work, we have to play Guthrie in the centre when Smith is out. Harewood was a disgrace, I've no problem with the booing, he didn't chase a single ball until he was baracked by the fans and even then he tended to react as and when there was restlessness rather than off his own back. He can look as distraught as he liked trudging off, at the end of the day the fans won't give you grief if you just make an effort and I don't think that's asking too much. Look how the crowd have taken to Ranger and it's not like he's been banging the goals in, he just works for the team and makes himself a menace. If Harewood is paid to play football for a living this is the very least i'd expect and far beyond what we actually get.

Anyhow, awful first half, followed by miss of the season, blinding equalizer, penalty award and subsequent miss, red card and stoppage time equalizer - couldn't ask for any more of an emotional rollercoaster and to come out on top made it a blinding game to be at. Even my sister got sucked into the whole thing when she normally hates football...

Looking round me it was mainly kids booing him.  :blush:

Hate our own players being booed.

Makes me squirm.

Harewood's been a huge disappointment, and I'd end his loan early

Wouldn't have booed him though.

Looking round me it was mainly kids booing him.  :blush:

Hate our own players being booed.

Makes me squirm.

Harewood's been a huge disappointment, and I'd end his loan early

Wouldn't have booed him though.

All of this, although it's not like we're in a position to be shedding squad depth BUT Marlon is/or has so far proven to be lacking in ability. It's a horrible, horrible situation

Well... I must say I really enjoyed that. Another who only gets up to games a few times a year so that was pretty special, we may have played s*** but I'd rather we were s*** and winning rather than playing pretty stuff and losing. I think Birmingham last season looked terrible all year but managed to grind their way up, in our current predicament i'd certainly settle for that. Also don't think they have a particularly better squad than us even now (that could change after January unfortunately) and they are doing okay.

Anyhow, back to the match, was in the SJH Stand, when they scored some total hoon decided to get up and start cheering and celebrating which caused me to lose my rag somewhat, placated when the police came in and chucked him out. I mean, I totally understand people going in with home fans if they can't get an away ticket, but they have to accept that they won't be able to celebrate if their team score. Even if they accidentally let out a yelp that's almost forgivable, but to stand in with our fans and actively barack them means he deserved to be kicked out.

Thought it wasn't going to be our day, ref definitely seemed keen to be 'a part of history' and able to say he was ref the day that Doncaster won at SJP. Actually looked more gutted than most their fans when we scored, seemed to be looking around for a reason to disallow rather than immediately returning to the half way line. Nolan and Butt in CM just doesn't work, we have to play Guthrie in the centre when Smith is out. Harewood was a disgrace, I've no problem with the booing, he didn't chase a single ball until he was baracked by the fans and even then he tended to react as and when there was restlessness rather than off his own back. He can look as distraught as he liked trudging off, at the end of the day the fans won't give you grief if you just make an effort and I don't think that's asking too much. Look how the crowd have taken to Ranger and it's not like he's been banging the goals in, he just works for the team and makes himself a menace. If Harewood is paid to play football for a living this is the very least i'd expect and far beyond what we actually get.

Anyhow, awful first half, followed by miss of the season, blinding equalizer, penalty award and subsequent miss, red card and stoppage time equalizer - couldn't ask for any more of an emotional rollercoaster and to come out on top made it a blinding game to be at. Even my sister got sucked into the whole thing when she normally hates football...

That kind of sums up my take on this league.

After the disappointment of relegation - days where the quality of the game is not great but the overall entertainment value is so much better than the PL.

Saturday was sh*t and great at the same time ??

It was certainly an exciting game, even if the overall quality was poor. Even the wife enjoyed it (big bonus - might get to go more often now). I agree with the general consensus that Harewood was particularly bad. Very little effort on his part to do anything other than wave his arms about if the ball to him wasn't perfect. I thought Kadar did ok and will certainly improve, far better than Tozer was at POSH in the Carling Cup. We need to play Guthrie inside and have a proper right mid as he plays too central leaving a big space where the wide man should be. Obviously once we have some first choice defenders available I presume this will be rectified.

For me Nolan looked good, not special just decent compared to what was around him and Enrique was impressive. Great energy. Ranger really deserves to get another start, his contribution compared to Harewood's was ridiculous. If I was Marlon I'd be embarrassed - although I doubt he has the awarenss to realise how bad he has been playing.

Anyway, you can't get a much better feeling than an injury time winner. Let's hope we can get back on track now.

Harper

S Taylor

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Nolan

Guthrie

Guthrie Premiership quality as in he could probably get in the Hull team?

He's been awful this season, yet people don't seem to care.

Harper

S Taylor

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Nolan

Guthrie

Guthrie Premiership quality as in he could probably get in the Hull team?

He's been awful this season, yet people don't seem to care.

Guthrie has been miles from his best its true, and he's still got 4 assists and 1 goal despite playing in an unfamiliar position.  He's easily PL quality, I suppose you're going to say some Scunthorpe midfielder is twice the player he is though?