Ashley to keep club, put £20m in and consider stadium naming rights

Ashley17

We can make it clear that any company buying naming rights would be in for some very bad publicity.

If the last year or so has shown anything it's shown that for the most part Newcastle supporters are either unwilling or too apathetic to do anything to effectively express their anger at how the club is being run. Sure, there'll be people who ring in irately to phone ins, write angry letters to papers, or stand outside the ground and complain to any TV cameras present, but that's as far as it goes. Very little has been done which would actually affect Ashley in a tangible way and make him think twice about what he does or how he runs the club (don't fool yourself that the limited Keegan protests made Ashley decide to sell the club, with hindsight it's obvious that there was plenty of truth in the numerous rumours that he'd been trying to flog it from the minute Keegan was appointed).

The fact that Sports Direct shops are still healthily trading in the centre of a city where the majority of the population are supposed to be mad supporters of the club shows that saving a couple of quid on a pair of trackie bottoms is more important to most than making a stand against the destruction of the club. If anything the people or groups who have actually tried to do something or organise things to try and get Ashley to even acknowledge the supporter's views have come in for more criticism and even blame from a lot of people than the owner and his cronies themselves - don't rock the boat sailing into the iceberg, or it's your fault if it sinks.

Welcome to <your name here>FC. Shit all over us and we'll keep on giving you our cash.

Guest beardieman

The £20m will no doubt be simply used to help us afford the likes of Smith, Jonas, Coloccini & Enrique's wages until the summer. Doubt we'll see any permanent deals with it.

Puppet manager has already said at his press conferance that the 20 million is not for transfers  :rant: :angry:

We can make it clear that any company buying naming rights would be in for some very bad publicity.

If the last year or so has shown anything it's shown that for the most part Newcastle supporters are either unwilling or too apathetic to do anything to effectively express their anger at how the club is being run. Sure, there'll be people who ring in irately to phone ins, write angry letters to papers, or stand outside the ground and complain to any TV cameras present, but that's as far as it goes. Very little has been done which would actually affect Ashley in a tangible way and make him think twice about what he does or how he runs the club (don't fool yourself that the limited Keegan protests made Ashley decide to sell the club, with hindsight it's obvious that there was plenty of truth in the numerous rumours that he'd been trying to flog it from the minute Keegan was appointed).

The fact that Sports Direct shops are still healthily trading in the centre of a city where the majority of the population are supposed to be mad supporters of the club shows that saving a couple of quid on a pair of trackie bottoms is more important to most than making a stand against the destruction of the club. If anything the people or groups who have actually tried to do something or organise things to try and get Ashley to even acknowledge the supporter's views have come in for more criticism and even blame from a lot of people than the owner and his cronies themselves - don't rock the boat sailing into the iceberg, or it's your fault if it sinks.

Welcome to <your name here>FC. Shit all over us and we'll keep on giving you our cash.

Cracking post. :clap:

The £20m will no doubt be simply used to help us afford the likes of Smith, Jonas, Coloccini & Enrique's wages until the summer. Doubt we'll see any permanent deals with it.

Puppet manager has already said at his press conferance that the 20 million is not for transfers  :rant: :angry:

Surely you didn't ever believe that 20 million was going to be used for transfers? In one transfer window? By Ashley?

:facepalm:

of coarse it was never for transfers who the hell thought that?

Surely you didn't ever believe that 20 million was going to be used for transfers? In one transfer window? By Ashley?

:facepalm:

Sorry if anyone else has put this forward but I've been away for most of the last fortnight and can't be arsed to trawl. It seems to me that the reduction in price from £100m to £80m was simply down to the sum that's got to be funded by the owner whether that be Moat or Ashley. For whatever reason (and that's another discussion) it isn't going to be Moat so fat Mike has to cough. There's been some theories on here that somehow the club has been making a profit after getting rid of Owen, Viduka and co but it simply isn't the case. The club is making losses and the owner (whoever it may be) has to fund them. And Hughton won't get anything much to invest in January, maybe a loan and should we be lucky enough to sell one of our under-performing high earners he might get some of the proceeds to reinvest.

of coarse it was never for transfers who the hell thought that?

Exactly. What would be the use of him putting it in now if he couldn't spend it until January? It's obviously to cover general costs.

Welcome to <your name here>FC. s*** all over us and we'll keep on giving you our cash.

I think part of the apathy comes from the fact that the only tangible way to affect Ashley would be a mass boycott, and most people are simply unwilling to do that.

I think a boycott could do more harm than good right now, seeing as we're top of the table and are forced to think of our immediate short-term future. Our position is precarious, but while promotion looks a possibility noone will want to rock the boat and those who do get shouted down as you say.

I don't subscribe to the pessimistic view that boycotting the club won't hurt Ashley - it will. His motivation for what he's doing is money and possibly spite. I honestly think if 20,000 fans f*cked off overnight, and Barry Moat came in offering him 80M, he'd have to seriously look at his options and would probably sell up. But the only thing that could trigger such a boycott would be a major dip in league form.

I dont see anyone having more of a go at people wanting to protest than at Ashley himself & theres no real reason to believe as of yet that we couldnt be successfull this season under Hughton.

Everyones aware that Ashley deserves to be protested against, ofcourse he does. Its not about lying down so he can screw us, its about using our brains to workout what is best for US in the long run. The answer to that isnt always what is fair, but its what would have the best outcome for our club in the long run.

Affecting such an important season in the wrong way isnt beneficial to us even if we get Ashley out. We could have a great owner next season & a great manager, with the standard of players we'd have left/be able to get in we'd have far less chance of promotion than we have this season. They'll near all be off if we dont go up. Id rather us not be yet another big side who gets stuck in the lower divisions because they couldnt get out quickly enough. Our short term future as a club could rest more on the result of this season, than it does on whether Ashley is here or not. As irritatingly moronic as his decisions may be in that time.

I dont see anyone having more of a go at people wanting to protest than at Ashley himself & theres no real reason to believe as of yet that we couldnt be successfull this season under Hughton.

Everyones aware that Ashley deserves to be protested against, ofcourse he does. Its not about lying down so he can screw us, its about using our brains to workout what is best for US in the long run. The answer to that isnt always what is fair, but its what would have the best outcome for our club in the long run.

Affecting such an important season in the wrong way isnt beneficial to us even if we get Ashley out. We could have a great owner next season & a great manager, with the standard of players we'd have left/be able to get in we'd have far less chance of promotion than we have this season. They'll near all be off if we dont go up. Id rather us not be yet another big side who gets stuck in the lower divisions because they couldnt get out quickly enough. Our short term future as a club could rest more on the result of this season, than it does on whether Ashley is here or not. As irritatingly moronic as his decisions may be in that time.

Serious question, when is it a good time to protest? People were saying we shouldn't protest last season as we were in a relegation battle and now people are saying we shouldn't protest because we are in with a chance of promotion! No time is a good time to protest at the club but enough is enough, pressure needs to be put on Ashley!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Those people who sit and do nothing are part of the reason we are at this point in the first place. The protests the chants have been too sporadic with no solidarity or all encompassing strategy. With some people choosing to consntrate on supporting the teAm and staying out of political issues they are inadvertadly hindering the clubs progress by staying quiet and continuing as if nothing is wrong.

Stand up to the tyrant speak out against his horrendous egotistical lying regime. The only way to do this is mass protest, the more the better. Around the stadium around the city, contact other clubs (Liverpool) who have awful owners and Ask for support as fans of the game.

I’m not advocating boycotts or protests because they will potentially harm the club and I’m sure nobody wants to do that but the chants against Ashley don’t appear to have hurt the club so if that was increased I doubt we’d suffer, the sooner Ashley goes the better it will be long term. 

I think the best we’ll do under Ashley is become a Yo-Yo club as he’s incapable of making the correct decision needed to take the club forwards.  If we do anything positive then it will be a random decision that goes right and goes differently to almost everything he’s done so far.

He had my support for far too long because I couldn’t believe that anybody could be as bad as he appeared.  The number of things he’s done right can be counted on one hand and most of them have ended up kicking us in the balls because something has gone wrong further down the line.

To say “Affecting such an important season in the wrong way isn’t beneficial to us even if we get Ashley out” is wrong.  I don’t want to go up this season to find that we can’t hold our own in the Premiership.  I don’t want to find that we’re rivals to Derby for the worst number of points gained in a season, that’s about what we can expect from our current setup.  I’d much rather we possibly suffered for another season to go up again and actually be in a position to do something.  It’s almost guaranteed that we’ll be up for sale in the summer if we do go up and we’ll go through the same shit as we’ve been through this summer and up until last Christmas.

Even if we get a new owner in the summer it will take time for a takeover and we’ll be in the shit because we’ll have a puppet manager, who will probably get sacked and he’ll have no idea what is going to happen so we’ll not be in a position to bring new players in.  We’ll have no funds to buy players anyway as Ashley will not want to invest and we’ll be in the shite.  I don’t want that to happen so I’ rather he went now because I’m sure he’d still sell if somebody offered him £100 million to cover the £80 million plus what he’s going to put in this week.

Ashley going would give the club a massive lift.

Ashley out.

Id rather go up and find we're not good enough than not go up atall, its better to be a yoyo club than a side who's not good enough to make it up in the first place. Id also imagine the better quality players would be more likely to stay with us if we went up and came back down, along with other players being more likely to join us as they know we've made it up just previously. All of it seems a better option to me than simply not going up. It could be a long time then until we got back up, you cant just say suffer for another season....it could be another 5 seasons, 10 seasons. Its easy to take this league for granted purely because we have better players right now, but they are why we are top. Not the name Newcastle United, that wont keep us up here.

Anyway this is all based on the huge assumption that Ashley would even leave if people protested/boycotted in the first place. I doubt he'd leave any time this season with the chance of promotion & a chance to get far more for the club regardless of how many didnt turn up. Some of you think "well we have to try anyway". Thats what i think about leaving things well alone and getting into the prem, id rather we tried that. Just different opinions, i wouldnt be annoyed if people started protesting. I might be in several months tho if our season took a huge dip afterwards.

Edit: Just read what you said about the chanting, think thats fine. Anything thats well focused on Ashley only, the issue comes when the discontent starts being aimed at the performances on the pitch.

I’m not advocating boycotts or protests because they will potentially harm the club and I’m sure nobody wants to do that but the chants against Ashley don’t appear to have hurt the club so if that was increased I doubt we’d suffer, the sooner Ashley goes the better it will be long term. 

I think the best we’ll do under Ashley is become a Yo-Yo club as he’s incapable of making the correct decision needed to take the club forwards.  If we do anything positive then it will be a random decision that goes right and goes differently to almost everything he’s done so far.

He had my support for far too long because I couldn’t believe that anybody could be as bad as he appeared.  The number of things he’s done right can be counted on one hand and most of them have ended up kicking us in the balls because something has gone wrong further down the line.

To say “Affecting such an important season in the wrong way isn’t beneficial to us even if we get Ashley out” is wrong.  I don’t want to go up this season to find that we can’t hold our own in the Premiership.  I don’t want to find that we’re rivals to Derby for the worst number of points gained in a season, that’s about what we can expect from our current setup.  I’d much rather we possibly suffered for another season to go up again and actually be in a position to do something.  It’s almost guaranteed that we’ll be up for sale in the summer if we do go up and we’ll go through the same s*** as we’ve been through this summer and up until last Christmas.

Even if we get a new owner in the summer it will take time for a takeover and we’ll be in the s*** because we’ll have a puppet manager, who will probably get sacked and he’ll have no idea what is going to happen so we’ll not be in a position to bring new players in.  We’ll have no funds to buy players anyway as Ashley will not want to invest and we’ll be in the s****.  I don’t want that to happen so I’ rather he went now because I’m sure he’d still sell if somebody offered him £100 million to cover the £80 million plus what he’s going to put in this week.

Ashley going would give the club a massive lift.

Ashley out.

A very good post Mick, and I agree with you.

Unfortunately, it looks as if it will take one of 2 things to get him to sell ;

1. The club gets promoted and he can get a decent price

2. The club falls away this season, and he is then faced with the likelihood of at least 2 or 3 seasons in the CCC which he has to fund - esp if attendances start falling off, which they will in the event of a failed season...

As you rightly say, the club will still be stuck with Hughton even if Ashley were to sell at the season's end, and that is MORE money down the drain for the buyers if they want to bring their own man in.

This wouldn't matter if the buyers had the money that Man C's owners have, but since nobody with that kind of cash seems interested, it will be a consideration.

All in all, the club needs to go up next May if we are to have any hope of getting new owners - and bearing in mind that no-one really rich has come forward, there is no guarantee that things will be much better for some time because it will have to be a gradual improvement of the side over years rather than months.

Sadly, I wouldn't put much cash on betting that promotion IS achieved in May...

Id rather go up and find we're not good enough than not go up atall, its better to be a yoyo club than a side who's not good enough to make it up in the first place. Id also imagine the better quality players would be more likely to stay with us if we went up and came back down, along with other players being more likely to join us as they know we've made it up just previously. All of it seems a better option to me than simply not going up. It could be a long time then until we got back up, you cant just say suffer for another season....it could be another 5 seasons, 10 seasons. Its easy to take this league for granted purely because we have better players right now, but they are why we are top. Not the name Newcastle United, that wont keep us up here.

Anyway this is all based on the huge assumption that Ashley would even leave if people protested/boycotted in the first place. I doubt he'd leave any time this season with the chance of promotion & a chance to get far more for the club regardless of how many didnt turn up. Some of you think "well we have to try anyway". Thats what i think about leaving things well alone and getting into the prem, id rather we tried that. Just different opinions, i wouldnt be annoyed if people started protesting. I might be in several months tho if our season took a huge dip afterwards.

Edit: Just read what you said about the chanting, think thats fine. Anything thats well focused on Ashley only, the issue comes when the discontent starts being aimed at the performances on the pitch.

I'd rather not go through what we went through last year again any time soon.  Most of our better players are not good enough for the Premiership, that was proven last year so I doubt we'd see many getting better clubs to play for.  Changing ownership doesn't mean we'd not go up, sticking with what we've got means that we're unlikely to do well.

Ashley is probably not going to get what he wants for the club, he's tried and failed twice already so I doubt he'll be convinced that selling the club is going to be easy.  It's either take an offer or keep pumping in cash every year to bail out the club.  He's done plenty of moaning about how much the club is costing him.  We have new sponsorship to look forwards to after this season so I guess the club is going to become cheaper to run if we go up and he keeps the wages down.

I cant stand Ashley for getting us relegated through his ill informed decisions. I can't believe the latest one re the stadium.

However continued protests and general negative chants at games if persisted with will by January have chipped away at team moral sufficiently to convince some of the better players to want to jump ship in the transfer window. Especially if we are not top like we precariously are now.

Bids will come in for one or two key players who Ashley will sell IMO.

Its a pessimistic view but one that I can clearly see coming to pass.

We have to cling on to the hope that we can keep top spot and limp back up by getting behind and supporting what we have got.

Difficult as it is we need to keep the protests away from the 90 minutes of play at all costs.

I cant stand Ashley for getting us relegated through his ill informed decisions. I can't believe the latest one re the stadium.

However continued protests and general negative chants at games if persisted with will by January have chipped away at team moral sufficiently to convince some of the better players to want to jump ship in the transfer window. Especially if we are not top like we precariously are now.

Bids will come in for one or two key players who Ashley will sell IMO.

Its a pessimistic view but one that I can clearly see coming to pass.

We have to cling on to the hope that we can keep top spot and limp back up by getting behind and supporting what we have got.

Difficult as it is we need to keep the protests away from the 90 minutes of play at all costs.

I don't remember Given or N'Zogbia or even Milner for that matter saying it  was donw to the fans protests that they left. They left because of a chairman who wasn't willing to back the team, Milner in the fact he wanted the cash from selling the player and Given and N'zogbia because they didn't feel the club was going anywhere.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah thats right it was Ashley forcing Milner to put in a transfer request because he wanted a new contract a year after his last..... :mackems:

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah thats right it was Ashley forcing Milner to put in a transfer request because he wanted a new contract a year after his last..... :mackems:

That wasn't the whole reason why he wanted a transfer though.

Well the only thing i have to go off is Keegan saying thats his reason. If you know otherwise then good on you.

Well the only thing i have to go off is Keegan saying thats his reason. If you know otherwise then good on you.

"I enjoyed every minute at Newcastle and working with the manager," said Milner. "But the way things were going, I knew offers had come in over the summer and the club had turned them down. Their valuation of me wasn't reflected in the deal I was on. Speaking to Newcastle I thought it was the right thing to do to put in a transfer request to show how I felt, seeing they weren't on the same wavelength as me. They then made the decision to sell me."

Seems fair enough to me. The club had taken almost a year to get the contract finalist that's why it had only been a year since he had signed the contact. He had played 2 years of first team football since he had agreed the contact. Seems fair enough to expect a new deal for a now first teamer, most clubs improve players contacts when they break into the first team. That therefore was Ashleys fault.

Guest Roger Kint

"I enjoyed every minute at Newcastle and working with the manager," said Milner. "But the way things were going, I knew offers had come in over the summer and the club had turned them down. Their valuation of me wasn't reflected in the deal I was on. Speaking to Newcastle I thought it was the right thing to do to put in a transfer request to show how I felt, seeing they weren't on the same wavelength as me. They then made the decision to sell me."

Seems fair enough to me. The club had taken almost a year to get the contract finalist that's why it had only been a year since he had signed the contact. He had played 2 years of first team football since he had agreed the contact. Seems fair enough to expect a new deal for a now first teamer, most clubs improve players contacts when they break into the first team. That therefore was Ashleys fault.

What a pile of shit, so because we didnt sell him at first he demands more money(he was on the same as Nzogbia ie > £20k) and he wanted more because he knew either way a better club would buy him. Doesnt convince me of anything.

Good luck, and pray some Asian or Middle Eastern company doesn't buy the rights, then rename St James' Park to something unpronounceable.

If football is a religion, guess it has now sold its soul to the highest bidder.