Ashley to keep club, put £20m in and consider stadium naming rights

Ashley17

If Ashley is really going to keep the club (probably lying again tbf), why not consider taking the £1m a year he's supposedly still paying Dennis Wise and giving it to someone who has at least a vague idea of how to run a football club?

This news crossed with his comments in the Sunday Times a week or two back is simply ludicrous.

I would think it's what Wise is entitled to under his contract.  Probably 12 months pay.

Probably yeah. Great idea that turned out to be.

My point still stands though - he admitted he didn't have a clue, why not hire someone who does? Oh right, I remember. He only pays his mates.

Mot sure he ever wanted to sell.

No doubt we'll work "diligently" to bring in players in January only to fall short. Then when the season finishes we'll find ourselves back on the market (with all incoming transfers put on hold in the meantime, naturally) until about this time next year, when we'll be taken off again.

He'll do this until he's drained every last fucking penny out of the club that he can.

We're fucked.

If Ashley is really going to keep the club (probably lying again tbf), why not consider taking the £1m a year he's supposedly still paying Dennis Wise and giving it to someone who has at least a vague idea of how to run a football club?

This news crossed with his comments in the Sunday Times a week or two back is simply ludicrous.

I would think it's what Wise is entitled to under his contract.  Probably 12 months pay.

My point still stands though - he admitted he didn't have a clue, why not hire someone who does?

Quite.

Mind getting shot of Llambias would probably cost more than binning Wise has.

'A major say'. :spit:

He can have a major say, before they tell him no. :sadnod:

"Sorry, I don't like his agent.  What about this guy?  Went to a strip club with his agent the other week and said I'd see if I could do a deal for him."

My point still stands though - he admitted he didn't have a clue, why not hire someone who does?

Quite.

Nah I doubt Llambias is on 1m a year.  Shepherds basic wage wasnt even a million. His take home pay was about 40M though.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/10/28/hughton-will-be-backed-in-transfer-market-72703-25034382/#at

The Chronicle understands that Ashley, who also watched a behind-closed-doors friendly against Celtic which United lost 3-2, held meetings with managing director Derek Llambias, Hughton, Calderwood and the first-team squad before announcing that £20m would be injected into the club from his personal fortune.

Hughton will be able to make cash signings in January and, as the Chronicle revealed on October 20, the ex-Eire international will have a major say in who joins his squad with no director of football due to come in as part of the shake-up. A Toon insider said today: The money will go into the pot to buy new players, but also some of it will be poured into the scouting network and elsewhere around the club.

Chris will have a major say in what players he wants to bring in and already has his own ideas on how he wants to play it in the January window.

:mackems:

Fuck me sideways

Wake me up somebody please!

Quite.

Nah I doubt Llambias is on 1m a year.  Shepherds basic wage wasnt even a million. His take home pay was about 40M though.

Depends what his contract says about the cost of getting rid of him.

Although Mort cost in excess of £1m for his time here.

I don't particularly want the stadium renamed, but it's all part of a general trend for clubs to maximise their income through sponsorship. I can remember a time when people thought having a sponsor's name on the shirt was a desecration. This kind of thing will happen more and more and there are more important things to get worked up about.

When Ashley took over, he made this major mistake of thinking he could run the club and still join the fans in the stands and the clubs afterwards and be one of the lads. He thought it could be fun. He now knows different, and that part of running a major club means developing some thick skin. Unless you're making Abramovic-style signings, you're bound to come in for some flak. The Keegan appointment seems to have been some half-arsed attempt at pleasing the fans whilst still maintaining tight financial control, and of course it all exploded in his face.

At least the flagging up of the renaming issue shows a bit of much-needed bottle, and a willingness to make his own decisions rather than run scared all the time. The club has badly lacked leadership on and off the field, so perhaps Ashley has turned some kind of corner.

We've had a situation where the owner has wanted to be a fan, and the fans have wanted to be the owners. The result has been chaos, and if this marks the end of that, then great.

Mot sure he ever wanted to sell.

No doubt we'll work "diligently" to bring in players in January only to fall short. Then when the season finishes we'll find ourselves back on the market (with all incoming transfers put on hold in the meantime, naturally) until about this time next year, when we'll be taken off again.

He'll do this until he's drained every last f***ing penny out of the club that he can.

We're f***ed.

I get tired of typing this, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken anything out of the club.

I'm sure he wants to sell, but the offers haven't been forthcoming so he's gambling (again) that he can get us promoted without spending much money and sell us as a more attractive proposition when we're in the prem.

I don't particularly want the stadium renamed, but it's all part of a general trend for clubs to maximise their income through sponsorship. I can remember a time when people thought having a sponsor's name on the shirt was a desecration. This kind of thing will happen more and more and there are more important things to get worked up about.

When Ashley took over, he made this major mistake of thinking he could run the club and still join the fans in the stands and the clubs afterwards and be one of the lads. He thought it could be fun. He now knows different, and that part of running a major club means developing some thick skin. Unless you're making Abramovic-style signings, you're bound to come in for some flak. The Keegan appointment seems to have been some half-arsed attempt at pleasing the fans whilst still maintaining tight financial control, and of course it all exploded in his face.

At least the flagging up of the renaming issue shows a bit of much-needed bottle, and a willingness to make his own decisions rather than run scared all the time. The club has badly lacked leadership on and off the field, so perhaps Ashley has turned some kind of corner.

We've had a situation where the owner has wanted to be a fan, and the fans have wanted to be the owners. The result has been chaos, and if this marks the end of that, then great.

Like what, in your opinion?

Going off the rest of your post and many others lately, things seem pretty positive.

Guest Brazilianbob

The club have admitted to lying to fans and the press in the past. And none of us were at all surprised.

Suddenly he mentions 20M quid and people are talking about him actually signing players.

I'll believe it when I see it. All this money he has talked about in the past, how much of it has filtered through into actual player deals? That weren't funded by player sales? As far as I can see we've made a profit in most of his transfer windows, he has spent almost nothing net on players and that is one of the main reasons we are now in the Championship. So forgive me for not giving a s*** when Ashley talks about putting money into the club - because since he arrived the first team has got weaker and weaker.

I don't think many would disagree that the squad we had last season was massively overpaid and underacheiving [unless you call getting relegated an achievement].  That said those players earning massive wages have gradually been ejected i.e. Owen, Viduka, Duff etc, putting the club on a more even footing financially.  If we have to lose even more players who are on huge wages then so be it.  Ranger for example has proved you don't have to be a star on massive wages to make an impression, so if we can replace big earning players with youngsters of similar ability, the long term future of NUFC will be ensured.

giving the manager a major say in what goes on

Mike, you're truly a visionary thinker, I've never seen this before in 18 years of following football.

All is forgiven, you are a wise man.

What a manager he is too. Two time Championship manager of the month, Chris "I'm a coach, not a manager! Honestly!" Hughton.

Cap doffed, Mike.

It's all business.  Probably was all business right along.  The problem is that Ashley looks to be a poor businessman.

He'll sell the club when he gets his price.  He'll not improve the club unless he feels it will ultimately lead him to get his price.  Anything he does to increase revenue will be because he wants to get his price. 

Hughton has gotten results, is cheap and quite frankly could be let go by a new owner and not have too much money left on the hook.  If Ashley thought he needed a real football man to come in and run the club so Ashley could get his price, Ashley would hire one.  As it is, he thinks the current structure is enough to get Newcastle promoted so he can get his price.

This is all about Ashley getting his price.  Any move will be predicated on if it will help him get his price.  Were he a shrewd businessman it would be easier to accept.  Ashley has shown himself to be an incompetent bungler, though.  In retrospect, he hasn't put a right foot even once.

It's all business.  Probably was all business right along.  The problem is that Ashley looks to be a poor businessman.

He'll sell the club when he gets his price.  He'll not improve the club unless he feels it will ultimately lead him to get his price.  Anything he does to increase revenue will be because he wants to get his price. 

Hughton has gotten results, is cheap and quite frankly could be let go by a new owner and not have too much money left on the hook.  If Ashley thought he needed a real football man to come in and run the club so Ashley could get his price, Ashley would hire one.  As it is, he thinks the current structure is enough to get Newcastle promoted so he can get his price.

This is all about Ashley getting his price.  Any move will be predicated on if it will help him get his price.  Were he a shrewd businessman it would be easier to accept.  Ashley has shown himself to be an incompetent bungler, though.  In retrospect, he hasn't put a right foot even once.

Now I think you're right, it's all about putting the club in a position to be sold for a higher price.

But I think this whole fiasco started because he wasn't treating it as a business, he was treating it as a toy.

Now I think you're right, it's all about putting the club in a position to be sold for a higher price.

But I think this whole fiasco started because he wasn't treating it as a business, he was treating it as a toy.

You could very well be right about that.  Either way, incompetence played a big role  :rant:

He's taking a massive gamble on getting automatic promotion without any significant investment in the playing squad. We have a lop-sided squad with no decent wide players. If we are still up with the leaders come January we will need to buy those wide players or get some in on loan, and then Ashley's second gamble will have to come off, hoping that Hughton can identify the right players to sign. It all should have been done in the summer but then Ashley's a master at reacting to situations rtaher than setting the agenda.

Going off the rest of your post and many others lately, things seem pretty positive.

I wasn't thinking of anything in particular that's happening at the moment. I just meant that the things to get worked up about are the performances and attitudes of players, managers and owners, results on the pitch etc etc. The name of the stadium isn't that important to me.

Obviously things aren't great at the moment because we're in the Championship, but in the circumstances I think Ashley taking the club off the market and re-committing himself is a good move. If nothing else, there aren't any more positive alternatives.

Why don't the NUST collect all this money that was donated in principle and buy the rights to the stadium. Call it St James Park. Bam, everyone wins :pow:

Better yet, give the club the money and say you want it called "Ashley is a c*** park" :laugh:

I wasn't thinking of anything in particular that's happening at the moment. I just meant that the things to get worked up about are the performances and attitudes of players, managers and owners, results on the pitch etc etc. The name of the stadium isn't that important to me.

Obviously things aren't great at the moment because we're in the Championship, but in the circumstances I think Ashley taking the club off the market and re-committing himself is a good move. If nothing else, there aren't any more positive alternatives.

Recommiting himself, has he ever been commited ?