2010 World Cup - England in group C with USA/Algeria/Slovenia (full draw in OP)

Ketsbaia

Don't think Hiddink will have time to do much with the CIV team before the WC surely?

he'll have from the end of the season to the world cup which is long enough to get an idea of the teams strengths and weaknesses, id imagine hed have some training camp to look at eligible players before the wc id think

Guest Stephen927

Why is Milner talking about filling it in at full back, has Capello said something about this?

Guest Stephen927

If the system was changed to accomodate wing backs I wouldn't be too fussed, but in a 4-4-2 I'd much prefer an out and out left back to play there. Bit of a kick to the teeth for Baines and Warnock.

I wonder what thechances of calling N'Zogbia are now since he can apparently play at LB.

Cole: Pace, Overlaps, Arrogant, English

N'Zogbia: Pace, Overlaps, Arrogant, English enough

N'Zogbia would be a liability at LB much like Glen Johnson will be at RB.

I wonder what thechances of calling N'Zogbia are now since he can apparently play at LB.

N'Zogbia would be a liability at LB much like Glen Johnson will be at RB.

Hence the apparently bit in my sentance.

Guest Monkey

Surely this is a wind up?  

To the lad who said America will be tough.  Why will it?  Their so called best player is Landon Donovan, every time I've seen him I've wondered what all the fuss is about.  The only thing the yanks have going for them in national pride, I'll be disappointed if we don't put a few past them.  Algeria weren't very impressive in the ANC, again we could play poorly and beat them in my view.  For me, we should beat Slovenia, but I would be far from surprised if they come second in the group.  If Poland or the Czech Rep were in this group (two sides they beat in qualifying) people would be expecting them to follow us through, plus they beat Russia, I think they'll be our toughest group opponents.

As for England, our toughest opponent is England.  Ancelotti said that England have 6 players who would get in any team in the world, and no other country has 6.  I agree with that, but the mental strength thing will beat us as it always does.

Guest Monkey

Ashley Cole, Rooney, Lampard. There's three, I'd debate about anyone else getting in any side in the world atm.

Forget about current form.  You'd put Lampard above Gerrard?  :laugh:  Rio Ferdinand is a better footballer than Terry, yet Terry is regarded by the rest of the world as the best of the lot.  This is Ancelotti's opinion I happen to share it, however clearly we are both less qualified to make that statement than you.

See America as very much a Fulham type team. No outstanding individuals but well organised, disciplined and everyone is willing to put in a shift. If you don't treat with the due respect they deserve you will come unstuck much like many a team has against Fulham. Look at the way many NUFC fans were assuming we'd just roll them over last season. But if England prepare properly and turn with the right attitude they should win.

Guest Monkey

Lampard has consistently outscored and outplayed Gerrard for years. He's not been on top form this season, mostly due to Ancelotti's system but he has 15 goals and 11 assists for Chelsea.

Has he?  He's certainly outscored Gerrard in a number of seasons, of course that's nothing to do with the role he's played within the team or the fact he plays in a far better team.  As for outplayed, you're actually strangely not alone in that assertion, remarkably I've seen the odd other person saying the same, completely baffles me though and always will.  

Lampard has consistently outscored and outplayed Gerrard for years. He's not been on top form this season, mostly due to Ancelotti's system but he has 15 goals and 11 assists for Chelsea.

Has he?  He's certainly outscored Gerrard in a number of seasons, of course that's nothing to do with the role he's played within the team or the fact he plays in a far better team.  As for outplayed, you're actually strangely not alone in that assertion, remarkably I've seen the odd other person saying the same, completely baffles me though and always will.  

Lampard over Gerrard any day. The guy is a model of consistency, whereas Gerrard has massive dips in form and saves his 'best' for the headlines. Lampard performs all year round.

See America as very much a Fulham type team. No outstanding individuals but well organised, disciplined and everyone is willing to put in a shift. If you don't treat with the due respect they deserve you will come unstuck much like many a team has against Fulham. Look at the way many NUFC fans were assuming we'd just roll them over last season. But if England prepare properly and turn with the right attitude they should win.

This is a pretty good view on us, mainly because we essentially were Fulham a few years ago. 6 or 7 players on the team in 2008 or something like that.

Someone mentioned your shitty KO times, I could only wish ours were that nice. I'll be waking up at 7:30 for two weeks straight, other times are 10 and 2:30.

Guest Monkey

It's amazing how Gerrard is often the scapegoat when Liverpool don't win, yet when Chelsea don't it's not Lampard's fault.  I think without doubt Gerrard has more ability, certainly Gerrard's performance here last season was the best by an opposition players for years.  Would be interesting to see how many Newcastle fans would in an ideal world sign Lampard over Gerrard, I'd be staggered if it was many.  Lampard does well within Chelsea's system though I don't deny that.

This is a pretty good view on us, mainly because we essentially were Fulham a few years ago. 6 or 7 players on the team in 2008 or something like that.

Someone mentioned your shitty KO times, I could only wish ours were that nice. I'll be waking up at 7:30 for two weeks straight, other times are 10 and 2:30.

Except Fulham had sense enough to drop Bocanegra.