2010 World Cup - England in group C with USA/Algeria/Slovenia (full draw in OP)

Ketsbaia

Group G is far and away the group of death.

Only 3 out of Group G can go through, whereas any from Group D realistically can. Maybe its the glamour of Brazil and Portugal that swings it. Maybe I've gone mental too....

Which is why it isn't a 'group of death'.

I fancy CIV getting out of the group and playing us at R2 really. They seem better than Portugal to me, who are massively overrated (decent defense + Cronaldo and that's pretty much all they have, and he really doesn't perform at the same level when playing for them).

Also, Minister, will sub-Saharian teams enjoy "home team" status while playing in South Africa? Or are there rivalries that would prevent that?

Australia isn't in Asia either. It should be grouped with NZ in Oceania.

Oh yes we are!.

If we were in a racist society,which I thank God we aren't,i could imagine the old ditty that was sung at Blackburn being recreated,except alter the word "town" for the word "continent".

Perfect draw. I'm glad to see Argentina and Portugal got through, it would be stupid not to have the best players in the world performing on the biggest stage.

In terms of England's chances, I think we have a good chance, I wouldn't be concerned playing anyone besides Spain, and maybe Brazil.

I fancy CIV getting out of the group and playing us at R2 really. They seem better than Portugal to me, who are massively overrated (decent defense + Cronaldo and that's pretty much all they have, and he really doesn't perform at the same level when playing for them).

Also, Minister, will sub-Saharian teams enjoy "home team" status while playing in South Africa? Or are there rivalries that would prevent that?

Definitely, the black African nations will be hoping for each other to do well, and will be supported by the locals. It's "Africa's World Cup" after all. Then again, Nigeria and South Africa have a strong mutual dislike towards each other, but I'd hope they'd still support us. :lol:

Side note: SA are going to be horrible at the World Cup. Don't be fooled. The reason they have been playing friendlies for the last year is because they couldn't get out of the first round of African qualifying (and therefore won't even appear at the Nations Cup). I hope they don't embarass themselves.

That said, the Nations Cup shall be interesting. Last time Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon, and Egypt were all bitter about their non-WC qualification and outshone the WC qualifiers.

This is the BEST draw possible for Team America. Americans who are interested in footie really only know the Premiership and its popularity (especially ratings) have been consistantly on the rise overhere - now we can even watch the Championship on the telly FFS. And it overall one of the weakest groups offering a good chance of advancement.

The whole Beckham thing - I can hear it now: "LA Galaxy teammates facing eachother in the ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!" </wrestler announcer voice>

The spirit of 1950 will be brought up ad nauseum.

Overall a good thing for American soccer.

Also I'd love the US to face Germany in the next round. The US should have eliminated them back in 2002 but they cheated France style.

So many good games that will coming out of that draw.

Especially lloking forward to Nigeria kicking the crap out of a shell shocked Argentina and Maradona then going into some bizarre tirade against "dark people." Also looking forward to Portugal v Brazil (like everyone else).

Imagine if in group G, they drew all their games, apart from N. Korea who somehow managed to win one, or drew a high scoring game with another team, N. Korea would then go through?, and I wouldn't bet against half of those games being draws.

Anyway I read in a paper the other day that N. Korea's footage of the games they play will only be highlights, and highly edited to make it look like they were the better team (in N. Korea). So thats kick off for each half garunteed to be shown in N. Korea.

Imagine if in group G, they drew all their games, apart from N. Korea who somehow managed to win one, or drew a high scoring game with another team, N. Korea would then go through?, and I wouldn't bet against half of those games being draws.

Anyway I read in a paper the other day that N. Korea's footage of the games they play will only be highlights, and highly edited to make it look like they were the better team (in N. Korea). So thats kick off for each half garunteed to be shown in N. Korea.

Well, North Korea only kick off one half. So the other ones might kick off their half better.