Preston NE 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 23/11/09 - post match reaction from page 16

Dave

Being very organised (credit to Hughton/Calderwood) and a smart finish won another pretty scrappy game.

Although I'd love to see us winning easily theres great satisfaction in going away and winning 1-0 and never really looking like conceding once we're ahead. It's a hell of a long time since we could be confident at 1-0.

Maybe we need a Newcastle version of "1-0 to the Arsenal"

I don't think enough credit goes to the players or coaching staff for us being well organised. We have very little creative flair so the fact we are keeping clean sheets is crucial. I know it's fashionable to slaughter Jonas here - and I agree that he's one of the worst culprits for lack of decent service to the front players - but he does work hard defensively and it's easy to forget that. These lads aren't good enough for the premier but they give 100% in a team effort and that's why we are top.

Being very organised (credit to Hughton/Calderwood) and a smart finish won another pretty scrappy game.

Although I'd love to see us winning easily theres great satisfaction in going away and winning 1-0 and never really looking like conceding once we're ahead. It's a hell of a long time since we could be confident at 1-0.

Maybe we need a Newcastle version of "1-0 to the Arsenal"

I don't think enough credit goes to the players or coaching staff for us being well organised. We have very little creative flair so the fact we are keeping clean sheets is crucial. I know it's fashionable to slaughter Jonas here - and I agree that he's one of the worst culprits for lack of decent service to the front players - but he does work hard defensively and it's easy to forget that. These lads aren't good enough for the premier but they give 100% in a team effort and that's why we are top.

One moment towards the end when Ranger chased back, closed down and nicked the ball off a Preston player who was lining up a shot typified the attitude and credit to them all for it.

I also think Smith is a big influence in the dressing room nowadays and anyone cheating would have him to deal with him as well as the management, in much the same way they'd have had to face Shearer a few years ago.

Another game we win because we have so much more quality than the opposition. Would have been far more had we had a proper striker alongside Carroll or Ranger, and someone down one of the wings who can get a good delivery in. Jonas scares defenders and is an asset, but if we had someone down the other flank who could consistantly deliver a good ball we would be laughing our way to the title.

We do have that, and no we're not.

You're probably going to say Guthrie. Sorry, but no. At least not last night.

Harewood looked like he couldn't be bothered for long periods of time.  That has an effect on how the rest of the team looks because it Harewood helps kill the end product before it gets to the end so to speak.

The club needs another creative midfielder to work off of Jonas' runs.  I liked the long through balls that Jonas ran onto and they need to do more of that.  Throw enough shit on the wall and some of it will stick  ;D

I thought the back line was solid.  Once again a weak Newcastle midfield put them under pressure.  This year, they seem to operate better individually and as a team.  Jose Enrique is fun to watch

Don't think I've celebrated a goal so lustily in a while. I was convinced it was going to fizzle out as a goalless draw and also due to the cretinous Preston fans near the away section. Biggest day of their football lives.

commentary was poor. obvious that the pundits dont do their homework - especially when one of them mentioned the "naturally left footed gutierrez" cut in and shooting with his weaker right foot! just plain amateurish.

I thought that as well.

But was it not actually Carroll? . . . . .

No, it was Jonas.

There was an instance where they said Carroll was Jonas. Think it was after Carroll had been fouled and the camera was showing him on the deck.

That what I was thinking about then.

Guest WashyGeordie

Don't think I've celebrated a goal so lustily in a while. I was convinced it was going to fizzle out as a goalless draw and also due to the cretinous Preston fans near the away section. Biggest day of their football lives.

That's what I was thinking, I thought the match had a goaless draw written all over it.

Glad I was wrong.  :celb:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Carroll & Ranger upfront is all we need. That partnership will work and score goals, it already has done loads of times. Its just being ignored. Once Ranger gets a goal, those two will be a v good partnership.

Ameobi has scored just as many goals as Ranger and Carroll...

Lovenkrands and Carroll please...

I agree. Lovenkrands in behind Carroll would be excellent, he's a good finisher with pace. In the "Nolan" role, he dosen't as have much tracking back as out wide where he fails.

Whos this right midfielder then Ronaldo?

Taylor, who else.

He's got the best delivery but I don't remember very many decent balls in from him this season (in open play at least). Guthrie's got at least two assists from crosses that I can remember (blackpool and plymouth).

Guest Roger Kint

Taylor, who else.

He's got the best delivery but I don't remember very many decent balls in from him this season (in open play at least). Guthrie's got at least two assists from crosses that I can remember (blackpool and plymouth).

Taylor put two wonderful balls in at the Gallowgate end this season but cant rememeber the game, Enrique put one in the same game though :undecided:

Guest icemanblue

Taylor, who else.

Taylor put two wonderful balls in at the Gallowgate end this season but cant rememeber the game, Enrique put one in the same game though :undecided:

Reading.

Guest Roger Kint

Taylor, who else.

Reading.

Makes sense, the state i was in its no wonder i couldnt remember ;D

taylor has ccreated a few, most memorable was the cross for Colo's header at Cardiff. He also weighed in with 3 league goals, if you count the deflection against Sheffield United. I think Guthrie has only the one league goal against Leicester at home.